Spyder Garage

Default Recommend a Seat Replacement for F3-T 2020?

I know this topic has been discussed many times...please indulge me if you will.
    Have about 4,000 miles on the bike. Loving it except stock seat is not working for me. I do have Air Hawk cushion which is better than stock alone but still not as good as I want to get.
    Best seat ever in my 2-wheel years was Russell Day Long on F3B. No ride was too long...super comfy/perfect for me; somewhat pricey however. Before I go there again which I consider the high end of the spectrum I am interested what those of you that have experienced different seats think about other options---Seth Laam, Ultimate, Mustang, RSL, etc. Several others also I realize are available.
    Any experience and wisdom you share will be appreciated!

Ps. achy back, sore butt, tingly legs are not desirable when enjoying the riding!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    I know this topic has been discussed many times...please indulge me if you will.
    Have about 4,000 miles on the bike. Loving it except stock seat is not working for me. I do have Air Hawk cushion which is better than stock alone but still not as good as I want to get.
    Best seat ever in my 2-wheel years was Russell Day Long on F3B. No ride was too long...super comfy/perfect for me; somewhat pricey however. Before I go there again which I consider the high end of the spectrum I am interested what those of you that have experienced different seats think about other options---Seth Laam, Ultimate, Mustang, RSL, etc. Several others also I realize are available.
    Any experience and wisdom you share will be appreciated!

Ps. achy back, sore butt, tingly legs are not desirable when enjoying the riding!!
    had stock f3 sear went to cannon ball now on ultimate took the tail bone pain away luv it.

Spyder Garage

Either Russel day long or Seth Laam!

Spyder Garage

I have tried off the shelf and remote customizers, but what really works for me is taking my bike and me to a saddle customizer and have him tailor my seat to my butt. I also get my posture corrected and coverings of my choice.
    I bought an Ultimate saddle forum a forum member, thinking that would be the end all do all seat because of all the raves it got here. Nope. So off I went to my go to customizer and he made considerable changes, especially to the passenger seat. I also had heat installed - nice. The yellow foam is the original - note what he removed and added.

DSCN2827.jpg

DSCN2835.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2852.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have them all at some point. Now I'm on my first Seth Laam seat. He came from RDL, went out on his own. Smaller operation, more personal attention. And less $$ than the others. He did an awesome job on my 2020RTL! You will not be disappointed. Ultimate, Corbin, Mustang, BRP seats are generic to fit everyone's arse. They are good, just not "custom"! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Do you go to Laam in person, or ship your saddle to him? The reason I ask is, on any saddle but an in-person one, they dig into my inner thigh and only an in-shop customizer has been able to deal with that. In the bottom photo, inpost #4, you can that the front edge is very rounded.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Do you go to Laam in person, or ship your saddle to him? The reason I ask is, on any saddle but an in-person one, they dig into my inner thigh and only an in-shop customizer has been able to deal with that. In the bottom photo, inpost #4, you can that the front edge is very rounded.
    You are not far from Seth in CA.. Doing a ride in is always best. I sent my seat to him and he did a great job. I didn't 100% like it at first. Butt, after it broke in. Love. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

My seat guy is in Albany, 70ish miles south of the Portland battleground. Mr.Ed's Moto is on FB and he posts each and every job there.

Spyder Garage

I am currently using the Cannonball Seat on my F3. It is an improvement over the OEM seat. Whooda thought?

I am not totally enamored with the Cannonball. I can go 125 miles without getting off though. If I were to buy another F3L, I would consider the Cross Country. This keeps the extra seats in the $600 range as opposed to $1000 +. I have a bit of a problem doing that these days for just a seat.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Currently exploring my options as well, as my 2021 F3L seat hurts after a 1.5 hour ride. I get off and then am good to go after 15 min or so. But, its hard in all the wrong places, or i should say has a distinct lack of padding for the "boys" during the ride.
    Looked at both Laam and Russell web sites, so those may be an option if i cannot find something close to where i am at here in Mass.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Currently exploring my options as well, as my 2021 F3L seat hurts after a 1.5 hour ride. I get off and then am good to go after 15 min or so. But, its hard in all the wrong places, or i should say has a distinct lack of padding for the "boys" during the ride.
    Looked at both Laam and Russell web sites, so those may be an option if i cannot find something close to where i am at here in Mass.
    RE: Padding for Boys. AirHawk has a pad that takes care of just that. It may be the answer. I have one that I use when I reach the "limit" on mine. The secret with AirHawk is not over inflating it. You sit "in" it, not "on" it. Once you get that figured out...a very nice seat helper.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: Padding for Boys. AirHawk has a pad that takes care of just that. It may be the answer. I have one that I use when I reach the "limit" on mine. The secret with AirHawk is not over inflating it. You sit "in" it, not "on" it. Once you get that figured out...a very nice seat helper.
    Thanks, i will check them out. I have seen them somewhere in my web seat searches.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Thanks, i will check them out. I have seen them somewhere in my web seat searches.
    Most cycle gear places have them. Or, just google the name and a bonanza will pop up. The medium to large size will fit any Spyder drivers seat. I have the older, medium size one. Not cheap, but well worth it.

EDIT: Amazon has them in all sizes. Medium or large will do it for you. $89
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-15-2020 at 02:43 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The problem with aftermarket seats is that they are money down the drain if you don't keep the bike. I have learned this lesson the hard way more than once, and I am now very gun shy as a result. My GW stock seat is the only one I have ever been happy with. Any custom seat that alters the stock seat is likely to not please many buyers of your machine down the road.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Well, the bike is new and i do plan on keeping it awhile, but that is why i dont want to spring th 4-600 on a custom seat, as if i do sell it, the new buyer probably will not like it. I would rather spend the 100 or so on something like the add on and live with it if it works. Less money down the drain so to speak.

Spyder Garage

I have a Corbin on my RT and at 5'8' it sits too far back and the back rest is not truly adjustable so that I can position it in the lumbar area. I just spoke with a furniture upholsterer and he's done alot of custom work so I'm doing that.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Well, i picked up the Airhawk large for cruiser for my F3L, and went on an hour ride today. Usually the boys are mad after that, but, after gettting the air adjusted to where it all felt good, no one is complaining. Worthwhile 89.00 spent. I am also amazed at how little air you actually need in the thing for it to make a difference. It seems to fill in the low spots on the seat and padded the rest.
    Good deal.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I have tried off the shelf and remote customizers, but what really works for me is taking my bike and me to a saddle customizer and have him tailor my seat to my butt. I also get my posture corrected and coverings of my choice.
    I bought an Ultimate saddle forum a forum member, thinking that would be the end all do all seat because of all the raves it got here. Nope. So off I went to my go to customizer and he made considerable changes, especially to the passenger seat. I also had heat installed - nice. The yellow foam is the original - note what he removed and added.

DSCN2827.jpg

DSCN2835.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2852.jpg
    This is what I do every day, rebuild seats, noneed to buy a seat just custom fit your stock seat to fit you.... and it costs less