Spyder Garage

Default Changing handlebar reach

I have a 2020 RT Limited. I am getting soreness in my upper back that I did not get on my 2013 RT-S. So, I am wanting to move the handlebar reach closer to me. I appear to have two options, the short reach handlebars or the handlebar riser that Lamonster's Garage sells. Anyone with insights as to which direction may prove more beneficial?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the 2020+ RTs, you have any option the F3 has. Attitude bars, short reach bars, STOCK F3T/L bars or Helibars. For most, they've tried the STOCK F3T/L bars. Many have felt the short reach bars came back too far. The Attitude bars only come back about an extra inch or so but change the grip angle dramatically and works well for many. I tried the stock F3T/L bars but didn't care for the grip angle. I also tried the Attitude bars. I LOVED the grip angle but still didn't feel they were high enough. Ended up with the Helibars. They're NOT cheap but the angle(s) are almost infinitely adjustable. Lamonsters riser is also an option but I'm not a fan of risers although I'm sure his are awesome.

If you're interested in trying the F3T/L bars, PM me and I'll make you a good deal on mine. They were on the bike for 45 miles, I think.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Check our HeliBars
    I have them installed and like them a lot.
    A bit pricey but darn near infinite adjustment. If you're not sure of how they're set just try out a new position.
    Took just a few minutes to put on after watching the YT video.

They have them for the RT
    F3S
    Black, with black stuff on it.

Spyder Garage

Just got my Hilibars today! Just want to thank Can Am for the 7mm hex bolts on the block. 7mm Allen wrenches, the unicorn of tools.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Scotts8826-I went with Lamonster's riser. I'm just shy of 6' tall and the riser works perfect for me. A five minute install and not very expensive. Bill

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL and tried the Lamonster riser. It did not really work that well for me, but was better than without it. I just installed the F3T stock bars, without riser, and I am really happy with them. Allows me to drop/relax my shoulder and have an easy elbow bend. I stand 5'8'' if that gives and idea how I sit on my Spyder.
    2020 Spyder RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I too did the F3T bars and there is room to move the bar fore and aft which makes for a near custom fit.Much better than stock but I would agree with monk that the grip angle is not optimal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    Just got my Helibars today! Just want to thank Can Am for the 7mm hex bolts on the block. 7mm Allen wrenches, the unicorn of tools.
    You can also thank BuRP for the copious amount of that horrific yellow Loctite they seem to put on EVERY nut, bolt, etc. I have to say though, these bolts were much easier to remove than the ones on my '18 RT.

As far as that 7mm Allen, I ended up buying an entire extra Allen set just to get one. None of my local stores seemed to have a single 7mm. Now I have like 40 of each size Allen and a single 7mm. Same problem with an 11mm boxed end wrench for some reason.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetrees View Post
    Check our HeliBars
    I have them installed and like them a lot.
    A bit pricey but darn near infinite adjustment. If you're not sure of how they're set just try out a new position.
    Took just a few minutes to put on after watching the YT video.

They have them for the RT
    When I was thinking about getting the Helibars, someone said it would take longer to adjust them than to install them. I had my doubts. Once I installed them, I regretting having those doubts. Literally 20 minutes to install (I've got extra crap attached to the bars) and I'm still tweaking them.

Spyder Garage

+1 on the F3 bars.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I have a 2020 RT Limited. I am getting soreness in my upper back that I did not get on my 2013 RT-S. So, I am wanting to move the handlebar reach closer to me. I appear to have two options, the short reach handlebars or the handlebar riser that Lamonster's Garage sells. Anyone with insights as to which direction may prove more beneficial?
    IDK what BRP was thinking with those bars on the 2020 RTs !!! They increased the length in the saddle - so unless you are an NBA all-star, those stock bars would never be within reach (pun...definitely intended). I am 5'2" and went with my beloved F3 short reach bars. While they were extremely comfortable on my 2015 F3-S, I found that they invaded my space on the RT. Remember, we sit more "on" the RT (even after the sporty re-design). I found that the short reach bars felt like they were in my lap. Found a great set of F3 stock bars (position B) in orange on eBay - got them for a garage sale price - and they not only added some pizzaz to my Chalk 2020 RT Limited...but, they are way more comfortable.
    B3AFDD7C-410E-4B4E-950F-E623395B310F.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your grip cuffs (the "clamps" that hold the grip assemblies on) are mounted backwards, bro. Ya gotta flip them around. The flat side needs to be against the grip assemblies. The tapered side goes towards the middle of the bike/bars.

HAGO!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are undecided, just do what Monk did, get the Heli Bars and adjust them to suit. I went with the 'short reach', trimmed the little stop bar off the stem and made adjustment up and down as necessary. No 'loosening' underway, just tighten the bolts down snug, no Loctite needed. That's just me, not advocating it, I do what works for me. Here's the thing, everyone is built different and you can experiment with many types of bars and find that none of them fit 'just right', like Monk, so he went with the Heli Bars and solved the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Your grip cuffs (the "clamps" that hold the grip assemblies on) are mounted backwards, bro. Ya gotta flip them around. The flat side needs to be against the grip assemblies. The tapered side goes towards the middle of the bike/bars.

HAGO!
    Ha Good catch

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's input. I am plenty tall (6'2") but I've had Rotator Cuff surgery on both of my shoulders. I like long distance riding so I'm wanting to try a short reach bars to relax my back and shoulders more. Good options out there.