Spyder Garage

Default For those who have only owned the 1330 ...

First, I have never ridden a Spyder with the 1330. I am willing to bet it is the better overall engine for the way most people ride these machines (and the direction that most new models have drifted towards recently).

I will tell you though - the 998 V-twin can be a blast to ride when it's rung out, particularly the SM5 models with a clutch. I have been taking likely my last few rides this week and I find myself doing a few burnouts, and stretching its long legs, particularly going from about 25 to 60 mph in 2nd ... in a hurry, I might add. This engine is a screamer and turns a normally conservative Gold Wing rider into a bit of a naughty boy.

If you like a racy twin, this one is a good one.

I also like it when cruising at around 55 mph / 4000 rpm...it makes a nice little twin throb at that speed that's pleasing the ear and soul.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

I love my 998 V-Twin and manual transmission. It's just the way a motorcycle is supposed to be. A bit raw and ready to ride hard. But it will go from East Tennessee to California just like the SE's
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I certainly enjoyed my V-twin too. Coming out of the expressway on-ramp and brushing off the Harley in front of me was lots of fun... hitting 94 in 4th while hopping around his struggling noisemaker... then shifting on into 5th and cruising about 80 and staying ahead of him no matter what! FUN!

And it always upshifted smoother than my SE6, too.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Four 998's (one SM and three SE), and two 1330's.

Going against the pack here for the many reasons that I have posted as to why I like the 1330.

I do ride my Vulcan Vtwin 900 a lot though.

No further comments, I will let you folks duke it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify - not saying one is better than the other - just noting that the 998 with the SM5 is a fun, fun, fun motor that turns a Spyder into a bit of a stable, smooth riding sport bike, and if you have only owned the 1330, you might never know!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have only ridden the 1330, unless you count a couple trips around a parking lot about 10 years ago on an early RT.

Please continue to enjoy revving the snot out of your v-twin, we will continue a "more-relaxed" riding style, which suits the 1330 just fine. My testosterone-induced vehicular racing urges were curbed a LONG time ago, and my wife has never been affected by them. We do ride in a "spirited" manner that keeps us well ahead of the general population, but we just don't feel the urge to test the traction limits on every corner or stoplight.

Due to other stuff happening in our lives, we only get 6-10,000 miles per season, and somehow just seem to enjoy lower-revving engines. Her Suzuki and mine are both very happy in the 3-5,000 RPM range, redline is 9,000. My Wing is only turning 3,000 RPM at 70 mph, redline is 5,500.

These lower-revving engines also have one other quality that we enjoy. QUIET. No complaints about the stock Spyder, but I heard several this past summer at Zanesville and Maggie Valley that I would have trouble riding NEAR, let alone ON. I'm just happy they're not in my neighborhood.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I have only ridden the 1330, unless you count a couple trips around a parking lot about 10 years ago on an early RT.

Please continue to enjoy revving the snot out of your v-twin, we will continue a "more-relaxed" riding style, which suits the 1330 just fine. My testosterone-induced vehicular racing urges were curbed a LONG time ago, and my wife has never been affected by them. We do ride in a "spirited" manner that keeps us well ahead of the general population, but we just don't feel the urge to test the traction limits on every corner or stoplight.

Due to other stuff happening in our lives, we only get 6-10,000 miles per season, and somehow just seem to enjoy lower-revving engines. Her Suzuki and mine are both very happy in the 3-5,000 RPM range, redline is 9,000. My Wing is only turning 3,000 RPM at 70 mph, redline is 5,500.

These lower-revving engines also have one other quality that we enjoy. QUIET. No complaints about the stock Spyder, but I heard several this past summer at Zanesville and Maggie Valley that I would have trouble riding NEAR, let alone ON. I'm just happy they're not in my neighborhood.

... I've owned two V-twins and ride a 14 RT now .... as far as performance goes I can do everything on my 1330 that I did on either of the V-twins .... the only noticeable difference is , my RT is smoother and quieter. .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The twin with the standard was a lot of fun. Very peppy. Did get tired of the shifting, had owned a lot of standards (cars & trucks included). Now I do enjoy the 1330 but glad for the twins I have owned. I guess everything has it's time.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I owned a 1330 with the SM6 first, and then purchased a 2012 RSS with the SE5. Now I own a 1330 with the SE6. The sound of the 998 is much better than the 1330 will ever be. It was also very fun to ride. I have now put a cat delete on my 1330 SE6 and it is snappy at the throttle, like the 998. But the sound is not there. A friend has a 2011 990 with the SM5. I am thinking about trying to pick it up from him as a 1 up fun ride.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've owned a number of high revving twins over the years but I'm sure glad I didn't buy the 2012 spyder from the lady across the street. I'm so thankful I waited and bought my 2014 1330. I've become a believer over the years of less RPM, larger cubic inches, and low-end torque.

Spyder Garage

My 1330 has no difficulty reaching and sustaining the posted speed limits. Each of us has our own purpose and needs from our machine. Relaxed, and relaxing, riding through open countryside, some twisties from time to time. I don’t need an adrenaline rush.

To each his, her, their, it’s own. The ‘20 RTL fits my needs fine, the ‘20 900 Ryker suits my wife. Happy miles, happy smiles, happy trails.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray