Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change Question

Getting ready to change the oil and filter on a 2017 RT. Do all three wheels need to be on ramps with the entire bike raised and level, or just the front two on ramps with the rear on the ground?

Thanks,
    Doug

Spyder Garage

I just drive up on ramps. Plenty of room underneath and to get the plugs out. Seems to be enough to let all the oil out.
    2019 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

No, you don't need to raise the rear wheel.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Probably could change it with just the ramps in front. Got lots more room under there if you jack the rear up some. Only takes a minute more.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick responses!
    /Doug

Spyder Garage

No need to raise the rear unless you want to.
    Trans side you can pull quick, the engine side I pull partway, walk away and let it drain slow.
    If you pull it quick, oil will get inside the cover on the bottom of the frame and drip for days.

Spyder Garage

I went ahead and also used my floor jack on the rear. It did make it easier, particularly for the first change. I also replaced the drain plugs with the Dimple plugs. Much better than stock, no worries about them stripping.

Doug

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

HEY, Glad it all worked well for you......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

What is a dimple plug?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
    What is a dimple plug?
    It's not a 'dimple plug' so much as a 'Dimple Plug'; which is a magnetic drain plug for your sump/oil reservoir that's made & sold by a mob called 'Dimple Products Inc' Check 'em out here:

https://drainplugmagnets.com

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I did my first oil change on our new to us 2018 RTL. My car port way slops slightly to the street. I made little ramps out of 2x6s so the front wheels raised up 3" and the rear 2.25". I backed the Spyder into the car port and then drove up on the ramps. I had ample room to work under the trike. What I failed to realize was the it also sloped off two the right side of the trike and draining the transmission near the end caused the oil to hit the belly pan next to the drain plug and oil ran forward on the pan and dripped out a hole in the front of it. So I jacked up the side and added another 2x6 under that wheel, to finish the transmission drain.

Both of the drain plugs seemed much tighter than the torque specs when removing them. I made a funnel out out of a water bottle, and next time(next year) I will have a better one for that oil change.

I put in Rotella T6 oil and used the filter kit from Lamonster Garage. 5.25 quarts appears to have it right at the top mark. The transmission magnet had a small amount of metal pieces on it, which I wiped off.

Original owner said he changed the oil at 3K and the trike had 5450 on it when I bought it. The oil change I did was at 6125, and now I can do oil changes on my own known schedule.

I have always done my own oil changes, and this was not that bad and next time will be even easier. On my 2015 RAM diesel I do it from the top removing the turbo intake hose between the filter box and the turbo inlet. Removing the Spyder tupperware is easier than the air intake on the RAM.

I did a ten mile test run to test things out. Shifts seem nice and smooth on the road. When it is cool and idling at higher RPMs it still clucks pretty hard going into first or reverse. Once it is warmed up and idling around 800 RPM gear engagement is pretty quiet/smooth.

Cost $38.33 for oil and $15.95 for Filter kit, so $54.28 or one half the price of BRP oil change kit. And I know it was done to "my" standards and care, with things torqued to factory specs.

Motor on!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might shop around, when I bought the last bottle of T6 a couple months ago, it was $23 for a gallon. At Advance Auto Parts.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

The transmission will always "clunk" when going from neutral to either first or reverse. It is a constant mesh transmission and they all do that; is no cause for alarm. Now that you've done your first oil change, the Spyder's regular change is 9,300 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Changing it more frequently is unnecessarily spending time and money you don't need to on routine maintenance IMO. If you want to know how the oil is performing go to a Napa auto parts store and get an oil analysis kit: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL4077. The price of the kit includes the analysis.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    You might shop around, when I bought the last bottle of T6 a couple months ago, it was $23 for a gallon. At Advance Auto Parts.
    Yes, I bought one gallon jug and two quart bottles plus tax. I used 5.25 quarts of the 6 purchased. Next time I will just buy 5 quarts.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Where is the best place to jack up the rear.
    Fram or shock mount

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't jack up the rear when I did Peggy's 2013 STS-SM5, just reversed up on the ramps. Didn't see any reason to jack up
    the rear.

I did jack up the rear to set the belt tension, and I jacked on the frame.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Default oil change

I Guys !

I made 3 wooden blocks, to mount the front I use my car ramps, for the rear with my jack.

FlyBoy2121

IMG_0441.jpgIMG_0437.jpg
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Doug what oil kit did you decide to go with? for my 2018 rt i am being told to buy this kit Can-Am 4T 5W-40 Synthetic Blend Oil Change Kit for Rotax 1330 engine 779249 DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY QUARTS ARE IN THE KIT..THANKS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can get the kits for the 1330 cc engine from BajaRon, one of the forum sponsors. It comes will all the necessary filters,
    O-rings, and oil. And it helps support our sponsors.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

i want to use the stock kit...799249..i am trying to find out how many quarts of oil are packed in it.

Spyder Garage

Got a Dremel tool?? Open up those holes around the drain plugs. Just another thing that makes the oil change easier. You'll thank me later-------------
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I just changed my oil for the first time. Here's what ya do. Ride over to your local Spyder dealer and drop off the beast. Allow for a couple days of no Spyder. Scrounge up about 400 Shekels. Take said Shekels to dealership to retrieve your Spyder. Enjoy not cleaning up any messes, not tending to burns and busted knuckles, remember all the fun stuff you did while the Spyder was gone, be lucky you aren't buying your wife gifts cuz you were a frustrated A$$#ole, and then make sure there's precisely 5.6 quarts of oil showing on the dipstick, as directed in the manual.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by volksbugusa View Post
    i want to use the stock kit...799249..i am trying to find out how many quarts of oil are packed in it.
    There will be 6qts of oil in the oil change kit from BRP.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EzRyder View Post
    I just changed my oil for the first time. Here's what ya do. Ride over to your local Spyder dealer and drop off the beast. Allow for a couple days of no Spyder. Scrounge up about 400 Shekels. Take said Shekels to dealership to retrieve your Spyder. Enjoy not cleaning up any messes, not tending to burns and busted knuckles, remember all the fun stuff you did while the Spyder was gone, be lucky you aren't buying your wife gifts cuz you were a frustrated A$$#ole, and then make sure there's precisely 5.6 quarts of oil showing on the dipstick, as directed in the manual.
    Seriously? $400 for an oil change? Shoot, my Dodge doesn't cost that much and it takes 3 GALLONS.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EzRyder View Post

No thanks.......... local Spyder Dealer is about 75 miles away and I have nobody to pick me up or take me back there during working hours. I would have to trailer the Spyder down and then go back to get it. 300 miles on the truck towing the trailer and at least 2 days totally wasted. I can change the oil myself and take care of all the other required inspections in about 2 hours and spend less than $50. Added to that, I have reasons not to trust the nearest local dealer. Don't usually make any messes and the local car parts dealers will take the used oil.

Spending a couple of hours and $50 is much better for me than wasting 2 days, $400 for the dealer, and at least another $50 gas for the truck.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver