Spyder Garage

Default Transporting 2020 RT on an open trailer sideways?

I know the standard way to transport a Spyder on an open trailer is nose forward. This keeps the chance of damage to windshield, or anything else, to the same as riding it down the road. I have been contemplating putting one of those lift platforms on the back of a flatbed pickup. I know carrying one bike nose forward has been done without issue. However I would like to take 2 bikes loaded nose to tail tight next to each other with saddle bags almost touching. I think this would cause damage to the bike facing backwards. I was wondering if anyone had tried the sideways orientation and what the wind at highway speed might do?

Spyder Garage

Pardon me, but your language is, to me anyway, a bit confusing. The title of your post says, "...open trailer sideways," but in the next to last sentence you mention damage to the Spyder facing backward, but in the last sentence you talk again about a sideways orientation. Which way are the noses of the Spyders facing, one forward and the other aft, or one left and the other right? If the latter, on your flat bed pick up you're going to have a pretty wide load.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Facing forward is how it's designed.

Facing backwards is definitely not a good idea. The curvature of the windshield acts like an air scoop. The support arms are not designed for that.

Loading sideways sets up another scenario. The curvature of the windshield will act like an airfoil and pull the windshield forward. It also could set up an oscillation back and forth. Not good.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Might just be best removing wind shield until destination,& double check all other panels are tight & secure. Caution with the windshield lift arm have heard of some being fragile

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    I have been contemplating putting one of those lift platforms on the back of a flatbed pickup. ... I was wondering if anyone had tried the sideways orientation ...
    I know the '20 is bigger than our '17, so I had to look up the dimensions.
    109.3-111.5″ L x 61.18″ W x 57.64″ H

I guess that means that the length is AT LEAST 109 inches, and can go up to 111.5, depending on the model. If you want to carry it sideways, you will need to have OVERSIZE VEHICLE placcards on your truck, as the maximum allowed width is 102 inches.

I know you will be able to interleave the two if you alternate directions, so you won't need 122" of bed length (that's over 10 feet). On our '17, the front wheels stick out about 11 inches past the width of the saddlebags. That would reduce the bed length to about 111 inches, which is still over 9 feet. And that does not allow ANY room between fenders, bulkheads or rear drop-offs.

Just how big is your flatbed? Don't forget that you would need ramps to get the Spyders up there, then you will need some access room to tie them down.

And let's not forget that you will be adding well over 2000 pounds rather high up on your truck. I hope it's at least a one-ton dually.

If you feel the need to transport two Spyders, you would be far better off with a 7 x 20 trailer.

In my mind, though, there is that one burning question, ... why aren't you RIDING the Spyders?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Facing forward is how it's designed.

Facing backwards is definitely not a good idea. The curvature of the windshield acts like an air scoop. The support arms are not designed for that.

Loading sideways sets up another scenario. The curvature of the windshield will act like an airfoil and pull the windshield forward. It also could set up an oscillation back and forth. Not good.
    .... and don't forget any Spyder exceeds the legal allowed ( veh with load ) width on public highways --- UNLESS you get a Permit to do so ....Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I say put one on forward and the other on backward. Take the windshield off the backward one. It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to take it off. About the same to put it back on. I hauled my 2014 RTS from Seattle to home on my open trailer backwards with the windshield off. No problem other than getting good and dirty.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. I had thought they where closer to 8 foot in length. then the sideways position would have been and option on the back of the truck. I did not want to get a toy hauler / camper.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The pre-'20 models were a few inches shorter, but still over 8 feet.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Theoretically backwards would be worst case scenario, but I've done it with no issues at all by just taking the windshield off. I wouldn't think sideways would be an issue at all.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White