Spyder Garage

Default So what is the trick?

Last weekend I was looking over my new to me, 2013 STS SE5 to see how involved doing my own fluid changes would be. I usually do them on my cars and Harleys before this. Side panel removal, no problem. Drain for the oil tank and transmission filter, easy. What is the trick for taking off the bottom panel to allow reasonable access to the engine drain and the oil filter? I took out the Torx screw on the left side. A part of the bottom panel clips over a frame member. After that, I could not find any way to remove the panel. It would slip forward and backward maybe a half inch. I saw the black posts where the panel slid on, but I could not find any way to remove that panel. I did not want to force anything too much and break it.

The Spyder was flat on the garage floor. Does it need to be up on a lift of some sort a minimum amount? I have to be missing something. Photos in the Owners and Service manual are almost useless to see. Manuals make it sound like a piece of cake.

Thoughts or solutions?

Spyder Garage

well I am defiantly not the greatest source for info on this by any means but i do know your pain I have a 2014 STS SE5 so for all intensive purposes they are the same there aren't many video's out there for STS but the rs is very similar I would go to YouTube and punch in oil change 998 can am Spyder and look for the rs body when selecting the vid should help. I am going to try my next oil change so best of luck
    2014 STS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vetman03 View Post
    Last weekend I was looking over my new to me, 2013 STS SE5 to see how involved doing my own fluid changes would be. I usually do them on my cars and Harleys before this. Side panel removal, no problem. Drain for the oil tank and transmission filter, easy. What is the trick for taking off the bottom panel to allow reasonable access to the engine drain and the oil filter? I took out the Torx screw on the left side. A part of the bottom panel clips over a frame member. After that, I could not find any way to remove the panel. It would slip forward and backward maybe a half inch. I saw the black posts where the panel slid on, but I could not find any way to remove that panel. I did not want to force anything too much and break it.

The Spyder was flat on the garage floor. Does it need to be up on a lift of some sort a minimum amount? I have to be missing something. Photos in the Owners and Service manual are almost useless to see. Manuals make it sound like a piece of cake.

Thoughts or solutions?
    I've owned two spyders with the same V-twin engine you have ..... I never felt the necessity to remove any " bottom " plastic panels for access .... those panels have large round access holes to get to the plugs. I use ramps for the front tires and then jack up the rear so it is almost level ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't own a '13 ST but pg 40-43 of the operator's guide address removal of the body panels necessary to do oil changes.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've changed the oil/filter on Peggy's 2013 STS SM5 and never found the need to remove any bottom panel. Remove the side panel/s and that was
    about it. I did have it up on a couple of car ramps just to make underneath access easier, and so I could see better, but that just makes it easier,
    it isn't necessary.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

It simply snaps off the frame
    after removing the two plastic push pins.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    I think you are the winner. I saw those two push pins but I was not sure about trying to remove them. Those pins are the ones I saw where the panel could move slightly forward and back.

The owners manual does state to remove that panel. The photo shows taking the drain plugs out with the bottom panel removed. At least on the 2013 manual. Thanks!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vetman03 View Post
    I think you are the winner. I saw those two push pins but I was not sure about trying to remove them. Those pins are the ones I saw where the panel could move slightly forward and back.

The owners manual does state to remove that panel. The photo shows taking the drain plugs out with the bottom panel removed. At least on the 2013 manual. Thanks!
    " owners manual states " .... if you encounter any problems with your Spyder " IMMEDIATELY BRING IT TO YOUR NEAREST DEALER " .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    There is also a Torx screw near the front of that panel behind the black lower foot fairing piece. You have to remove another Torx screw at the front of the fairing, then pull it away slightly to access the hidden panel screw.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    There is also a Torx screw near the front of that panel behind the black lower foot fairing piece. You have to remove another Torx screw at the front of the fairing, then pull it away slightly to access the hidden panel screw.
    Got that. I made it down to the point where the bottom panel could be swung down, but not enough to even get room enough to get a tool under there to loosen the engine drain plug. Looks like removing the oil filter would even be easier if that bottom panel was not in the way. I have large hands, XL size gloves so that does not help either. There was a hole in the bottom of the panel to drain the oil tank but I did not see one by the engine drain. I will have to look again. I think having it raised up off the floor several inches would be a big help as well. Garage is getting cold this time of year. May only get a couple of rides in yet if the weather changes.

Spyder Garage

Reviving and old thread.
    Just spent a few hours changing the oil on my 2015 ST Limited, 900cc. There is no hole in the plastic panel for draining the oil from the engine sump. (I will be putting one in next oil change.) There IS a hole for the oil reservoir drain hole.

I found the plastic dirt shield on the bottom was held by two plastic push-clips into the center line steel frame-member. A tight hold on a steel frame-tube held the other side, i.e. friction.

A few other lessons learned: always remove the top bolt on each of the two filter covers first, then loosen the bottom bolt to allow oil to drain. When drained take out the bottom bolt on each.

I also learned that BRP needs to send a few engineers to Honda in Japan to learn how to design their Spyders so servicing is simple — or more simple. And adopt spin-on filters.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)