Spyder Garage

Default How many miles can I expect before serious issues?

hi there

I have a 2012 Limited Touring with 43,000 k (about 27,000 miles) on it, trouble free so far

Anyone out there with an idea of how many miles I can expect (on average) B4 I see any serious issues?

Love this one but wondering if I need to seriously look at trading newer when I really like the current ride.

Larry

Spyder Garage

How many miles??

There are more than 'just a couple' of Spyders out there with well over 150,000 miles already without any serious issues yet, so if you follow the service schedule & keep the maintenance up to it as well as ryde with a little bit of mechanical sympathy, but don't 'baby' it to death, then maybe you could expect potentially as many as half a million miles, maybe even more?!? There again, YMMV! - Who knows?

There's quite a few of us who are currently sticking with our older Spyders because the newer models simply aren't offering us anything that excites us more than what we have already! If the rest of those doing this are anything like me, they are not 'just settling' on their current Spyders either, but instead are so pleased with & enjoy their current rydes so much that BRP would hafta come up with something REALLY special to convince us to move to a newer machine.... And for many of us, that just isn't happening - in fact, for many, it looks like BRP is moving further & further away from the things that really got us aboard our Spyders in the first place!!

So, if what you've got is still doing it for you & you are able to keep up the maintenance & servicing, why change until you really need to? I LIKE my 2013 RT Ltd, it's got all the bells and whistles I need &/or want with all the frame & suspension upgrades the 2014's got without forcing the lazier motor on me, cos it's still got the revvier, peppier V-twin engine that now, after the ECU Upgrade & intake/exhaust mods I've done, will equal or better the 1330's in most if not all respects, and so far, there's absolutely NOTHING in the way of upgrades or price or servicing or performance etc that really gets anywhere close to being ENOUGH of an upgrade or improvement for me to give up on all the good things that I currently enjoy - and besides, I'm DEFINITELY not interested in moving to anything with a 'fully integrated digital dash' that barely works as a 'stand alone' dash let alone 'integrated' in the first place, NOR am I interested in anything that goes on from that failure to provide me as a ryder with less meaningful & useful info than my current dash & GPS suite does now, the current suite of dash & Garmin GPS being a combination that simply WORKS and does what it needs to do as designed every time!

Me, I'm sticking with my 2013 RT Ltd until something better hits the streets, and so far, IMHO, that hasn't happened yet - and from what I can see/hear, it doesn't really even look like it'll happening in the near future either!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-11-2020 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Sp
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have not had any serious issues with my 2011,RTS. I have around 80,000 miles on mine. Runs great. Do not plan on getting rid of it. I want to see how many miles i can put on it. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Trying to give a definitive answer to that question is on par with saying how many clouds there are in the sky! Any answer could be right, but most will be wrong!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My experience is problems will arise the day AFTER the warranty expires. But that's just me. You are obviously doing better. If your machine is treating you right, and you keep up on regular maintenance, your bike will not have an expiration date..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1supra1 View Post
    hi there

I have a 2012 Limited Touring with 43,000 k (about 27,000 miles) on it, trouble free so far

Anyone out there with an idea of how many miles I can expect (on average) B4 I see any serious issues?

Love this one but wondering if I need to seriously look at trading newer when I really like the current ride.

Larry
    Somewhere between zero and infinity ...... good maintenance practices should make a lot of difference ....................Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder miles

Service, Ryde and Enjoy. REPEAT...... Works for me. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Most of the are very good. 40K and up is doable on the majority. When big miles get on them, they can be prone to something happening. Think "Murphy's Law."

We recently traded off an 2011 on a new 2019. That one had 42K trouble free miles. Just regular services, tires and a new battery or two.

Currently have a 2014 with 43K trouble free miles and still going strong there.

My problem is that I always get the bug for new. Will see what happens with the 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F3T with approx. 23k miles. Although it is not an older one, it is becoming long in the tooth compared to the 2020 RT and such. I absolutely love the 2020 RT, but after seeing first hand the cheaper quality on some of the bolts and nuts that are exposed (they rust), and the fact that the seats seem to absorb water, I decided to stick with what I have. I also like the larger rear sprocket and better acceleration that it has. I will possibly step up to a newer spyder, but it will be after they upgrade the drive train in some way. Until then, I will actually consider picking up an older RSS. I had a 2012 RSS and loved it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white