Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New design Kenda front tires

Looking for reviews on these new tires...pro and con. Kanine KR20.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-10-2020 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Fixed font/size
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

The Kanine KR20 ? If so, a search will reveal quite a bit of info. Not sure if they have an even newer tire, as the Kanine was just released this spring..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Lot of input. Spend a day reading...

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Looking for reviews on these new tires...pro and con. Kanine KR20.
    After reading ( possibly ALL ) the reviews here and knowing how Kenda appears to have ONLY changed the Tread design, and not the Casing .... I believe it is basically the equal to the former Kenda tire ......ie another Crappy Kenda..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-10-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

There are currently some beta testers out there. Since the Kanines are relatively new, I do not know current mileage or reviews.

Maybe we could ask some of the beta testers to chime in with current mileage and condition???

I have car tires on one of mine and my new 2019 F3 only has 10K on the OEM Kendas. So..............I am no help there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll keep the stock Kendas on my bike for now. They've got less than 1k miles and honestly, I just can't afford to drop yet another $500 for new tires. That being said, sooner rather than later, my bike WILL get car tires in all 3 positions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'll keep the stock Kendas on my bike for now. They've got less than 1k miles and honestly, I just can't afford to drop yet another $500 for new tires. That being said, sooner rather than later, my bike WILL get car tires in all 3 positions.
    $500.00 ...You do realize that the Michelin " PILOT " tires don't come in Spyder sizes ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I studied the tread design on both the OEM and the Kanine and the Kanine is different and I almost bought them, but I did not review any differences in the internal construction, which would impact the performance I would suspect. To me it would be worth getting rid of the annoying wobble I get on the the OEM Kenda's that I have had balanced and also put in 2oz of dynabeads as a last resort to try and get them to balance and everything I have done has helped, but it's still there at certain speeds. After reading about 43 positive results from people who have installed the Federal Formoza AZ01, I am going to give those a try. Spent about $100 to get 2 shipped to me. Only ordered them off the web on Sunday, so should be here soon. Honestly, to get this machine to run smoothly, I would pay double that per tire if I had to, to get things to smooth out. I can deal with some wandering, after all it is three tires trying to synch on the lousy Washington State roads, but that wobble is annoying.
    2018 RTL , Stock Brake Pedal Extender. White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lvmyspyder View Post
    I studied the tread design on both the OEM and the Kanine and the Kanine is different and I almost bought them, but I did not review any differences in the internal construction, which would impact the performance I would suspect. To me it would be worth getting rid of the annoying wobble I get on the the OEM Kenda's that I have had balanced and also put in 2oz of dynabeads as a last resort to try and get them to balance and everything I have done has helped, but it's still there at certain speeds. After reading about 43 positive results from people who have installed the Federal Formoza AZ01, I am going to give those a try. Spent about $100 to get 2 shipped to me. Only ordered them off the web on Sunday, so should be here soon. Honestly, to get this machine to run smoothly, I would pay double that per tire if I had to, to get things to smooth out. I can deal with some wandering, after all it is three tires trying to synch on the lousy Washington State roads, but that wobble is annoying.
    First & .... and you'r new to the site so you found out the hard way about how crappy and poorly made the Kenda tires are...... I know of no other tire manufacturer that has a higher " Defective " rate than Kenda. I'm not fond of the Federal tires based on performance. .... but they will be way better than any Kenda..... PS, I highly recommend a tire pressure around 17 psi for the fronts ..... good luck ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lvmyspyder View Post
    After reading about 43 positive results from people who have installed the Federal Formoza AZ01, I am going to give those a try.
    You will find "positive results" from those who have installed Federal.
    You will find "positive results" from those who have installed General.
    You will find "positive results" from those who have installed Yokohama.
    You will find "positive results" from those who have installed Vredestein.
    You will find "positive results" from those who have installed many other brands.

Bottom line: ANYTHING is better than the stock tire (sorry, I can't even type the name).

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    $500.00 ...You do realize that the Michelin " PILOT " tires don't come in Spyder sizes ....... Mike
    Yes, sir. My local dealer charges $120 to replace both front tires (with any tires I choose) and another $120 to replace the rear tire. I figure another $260 for the tires themselves. That's $500. Well worth it, I'm sure, but my bank account has it's limits.

Spyder Garage

Yes, sir. My local dealer charges $120 to replace both front tires (with any tires I choose) and another $120 to replace the rear tire. I figure another $260 for the tires themselves. That's $500. Well worth it, I'm sure, but my bank account has it's limits.
    120$ to replace the fronts is way too much,but the rear is much harder bc you have to deal with that belt.Ive got Vredsteins on front and a new Kanine on the back and they are all working well and smooth too.I remember when I had a Gold Wing I only got about 5k before the rear tire started howling and you had to replace the tires in a set or else it would have a low speed wobble.Now those tires were 500$ a pair installed.I had a Suzuki gs1100 that I took across the country when it was brand new,had to get a set of tires and an oil change in Wyoming and another set when I got back.I would say that maintaining a Spyder is much cheaper and less frequent .
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

My local family owned tire shop charged $25 per tire for R&R/balancing. Heck, check with local auto shops first

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

OK - and Yes Stealers charge unreal prices .... However if you can remove the front wheels take them and your Auto tires to almost any Tire repair shop - they can and should be able to mount and balance them ..... Cost - about $20.00 to $30.00 ... and the satisfaction of DIYing .....Priceless ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm not fond of the Federal tires based on performance. .... but they will be way better than any Kenda.....Mike
    Not fond of Federal's based on performance.....Based on what? Have you run them? I have, and the performance was great and I ride hard, both wet & dry!!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    Not fond of Federal's based on performance.....Based on what? Have you run them? I have, and the performance was great and I ride hard, both wet & dry!!!
    Yes, I have tried / used Federals ..... and truth be told - before anyone used an Auto tire , there was little if any complaints about the Crapenda's .... I bought my first Spyder ( an 08 GS ) in 09, and soon after made the switch to an Auto tire ( this occurred before I found this site )...... Mike

Spyder Garage

OK - and Yes Stealers charge unreal prices .... However if you can remove the front wheels take them and your Auto tires to almost any Tire repair shop - they can and should be able to mount and balance them ..... Cost - about $20.00 to $30.00 ... and the satisfaction of DIYing .....Priceless ....... Mike
    An alternative to this is actually getting your auto tyre shop to order the tyres for you, Mike. This has a major benefit of establishing a good relationship with them, plus they usually don’t charge you to R&R the tyres when you bring the wheels in.......win/win for all.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    An alternative to this is actually getting your auto tyre shop to order the tyres for you, Mike. This has a major benefit of establishing a good relationship with them, plus they usually don’t charge you to R&R the tyres when you bring the wheels in.......win/win for all.

Pete
    that method has benefits ...But IMHO the folks who sell Auto Tires won't sell you tires to put on a Spyder ( legalities etc. ).... annnnnnnnnnnnnd they won't have a clue as to the Brand and Model to use..... They don't care that the Spyder has " J " bead wheels and tires on it and an Auto tire is a " J " bead tire. If you've been able to work this out with shops on your side of the Pond then .... Folks here have been DENIED tires from sellers because they said they were going on a Spyder/ motorcycle ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have tried / used Federals ..... and truth be told - before anyone used an Auto tire , there was little if any complaints about the Crapenda's .... I bought my first Spyder ( an 08 GS ) in 09, and soon after made the switch to an Auto tire ( this occurred before I found this site )...... Mike
    You still haven't said what performance aspects of Federal tires you didn't like.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

that method has benefits ...But IMHO the folks who sell Auto Tires won't sell you tires to put on a Spyder ( legalities etc. ).... annnnnnnnnnnnnd they won't have a clue as to the Brand and Model to use..... They don't care that the Spyder has " J " bead wheels and tires on it and an Auto tire is a " J " bead tire. If you've been able to work this out with shops on your side of the Pond then .... Folks here have been DENIED tires from sellers because they said they were going on a Spyder/ motorcycle ....... Mike
    I have dealt with our local tyre shop for years and spent thousands on tires. When I asked about tires for the Spyder they hesitated......I then repeated the mantra from here "you can only put car tires on it as it is J bead, you can't fit a motorcycle tire to it legally". They still didn't seemed convinced and as I wasn't ready to order then and there I cut the conversation short. I wasn't in the mood for an argument especially as I had a vehicle in there getting new tires and had better things to do with my time.

Due to border closures I was staying with my daughter so I ordered the tires then took the wheels in to the local dealer in Toowoomba (same chain). Only issue was they couldn't balance them so off to a local bike shop and $20 later all done. Needless to say next time round the Toowoomba dealer will get the nod.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have had the Federal Formoza AZ01on both my 15 RTS and now my 18 F3L. They handle great wet and dry and I push them to the point that I tick off the nanny. Never had them break loose and they ride very smoothly on straight and curves. Great tire for the price.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    I have dealt with our local tyre shop for years and spent thousands on tires. When I asked about tires for the Spyder they hesitated......I then repeated the mantra from here "you can only put car tires on it as it is J bead, you can't fit a motorcycle tire to it legally". They still didn't seemed convinced and as I wasn't ready to order then and there I cut the conversation short. I wasn't in the mood for an argument especially as I had a vehicle in there getting new tires and had better things to do with my time.

Due to border closures I was staying with my daughter so I ordered the tires then took the wheels in to the local dealer in Toowoomba (same chain). Only issue was they couldn't balance them so off to a local bike shop and $20 later all done. Needless to say next time round the Toowoomba dealer will get the nod.
    Yeah, it’s a real bugger when a well supported business isn’t prepared to go out of their way for you, Glenn....even it is just a little bit out of their way. it all comes down to the individual in the shop. All I said to the local foreman was “have a look at the Kendas....are they car tyres or motorcycle tyres?” He replied.....”hmmmmmm.... those Kendas are certainly car tyres alright.....and the Kuhmo has far better ratings”. He ordered Kuhmos for me, installed them, and didn’t balance them as his smaller balancer was broken and waiting for parts. He said that most good tyres these days are pretty well balanced as long as you align the tyre dot to the wheel valve stem, but if there was a problem, bring them back in and he’d balance them. He was right...... and same as you with your Toowoomba dealer, he is now getting all our business ������

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have almost 7K miles on my Kanine's and love them. Tight corners, great handling, smooth ride. Very happy with them. I can't tell that they have any miles at all on them. Well worth it. Much Much better than the original Kendas

Spyder Garage

Do the Kanines come in 14" to fit the older Spyders?