Spyder Garage

Default Adding Cruise Control to 2017 F3 Base

Hello everyone,

First, thanks for a wonderful site providing tons of information before I bought my Spyder, and of course, tons more info after I actually got one!

While there are threads available showing that it is possible to add cruise control to a base model F3, the part numbers have changed for 2017.

Thought I would share that part number 710004583 is the correct part number for adding the switch to add cruise control to the 2017 F3 base model. Cost me $220 from 2 wheel pros dot com, but I'm sure there are other sites with similar pricing.

I can also confirm on the 2017 assembly that came with the Spyder, the switch is still actually there, but you need to modify the cover plate, and I decided I just wasn't good enough for that!

Need to take the original switch off, get the the aluminum spacer off, and to take off the right side "tupperware" and the top cowling in order to properly route the cable.

I also had to cut some of the tie wraps, I left the "insert" in place, and threaded a new tie wrap through itself and through the cut off piece that was still attached to the original mounting point on the Spyder (hope that makes sense).

You should also use some kind of loc-tite on the spacer that goes between the switch and the center of the handlebars, as those screws are upside down.

ETA: Wanted to also share, the cruise button is illuminated, and when turned on, there is a cruise control indicator within the LCD, above the speedometer readout.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by finsfanscott; 09-09-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added cruise indicator on the IP

Spyder Garage

Talking Finfanscott - I need your help and guidance

Quote Originally Posted by finsfanscott View Post
    Hello everyone,

First, thanks for a wonderful site providing tons of information before I bought my Spyder, and of course, tons more info after I actually got one!

While there are threads available showing that it is possible to add cruise control to a base model F3, the part numbers have changed for 2017.

Thought I would share that part number 710004583 is the correct part number for adding the switch to add cruise control to the 2017 F3 base model. Cost me $220 from 2 wheel pros dot com, but I'm sure there are other sites with similar pricing.

I can also confirm on the 2017 assembly that came with the Spyder, the switch is still actually there, but you need to modify the cover plate, and I decided I just wasn't good enough for that!

Need to take the original switch off, get the the aluminum spacer off, and to take off the right side "tupperware" and the top cowling in order to properly route the cable.

I also had to cut some of the tie wraps, I left the "insert" in place, and threaded a new tie wrap through itself and through the cut off piece that was still attached to the original mounting point on the Spyder (hope that makes sense).

You should also use some kind of loc-tite on the spacer that goes between the switch and the center of the handlebars, as those screws are upside down.

ETA: Wanted to also share, the cruise button is illuminated, and when turned on, there is a cruise control indicator within the LCD, above the speedometer readout.

Hope this helps!

I just bought a 2017 F3. I thought it had cruise control but sadly, it doesn’t.
    I definitely want and need it, so I’m glad to read your thread on adding cruise control, and it being possible. I’m not very mechanical, but will try if I can get a little help.
    Would you be willing to guide me through the installation once I purchase the part?

Marcus

Spyder Garage

I just ordered that part number for my 2019 F3. Looking forward to taking off Tupperware, get comfortable with it

Spyder Garage

well done finsfan
    back in the day(2013),i wanted a 2013 ST manual,but it didnt have cruise
    this was a deal breaker for me,as it couldnt be retro fitted
    i ended up with an RT...its nice to know that cruise can be fitted retrospectively,in some cases

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Just bought a 2020 base F3, wanted to put cruise on it! Did your installation work out?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 F3 base and added the cruise control with no issue.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. Was the pig tale on the switch as nice as the one we have to remove? Mine is a nice round black cord material.

Spyder Garage

yes it is
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

installed it on my base f3 no problems
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Does your 2017 model have the oval dash speedo set up
    I just bought a 2015 sport model and did the mentioned removal of the switch housing and modification to the switch as described in an earlier thread with pics.
    The switch panel is all lit up with the key on and when I poke the cruise button on the pas by hand no light comes on my dash to indicate it is on.

I even started it to see if that made a difference and none that I could see. Maybe have to be driving it. I have the older tachometer and speed indicator on mine.

Worse case scenario is I guess I dont have a light on the dash to know but if it works I will be good with that. I plan on testing it after work today in the neighborhood.

Having cruise is a huge plus on any bike.

Spyder Garage

You have to slide it on first - you should reveal the word "ON" when you slide the knob to the side; and then move the knob up or down. I can't remember at the moment which way activates it. You must be going I think over 15 mph for it to kick in. Once it kicks in, you can move the knob up to increase speed and down to slow it down.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-09-2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Sp - Reveal not revile ;)
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

On my 2017, I have basically 3 circular displays. The left is a speedometer from 0-200, center is an LCD display, and the right is a tachometer. With the ignition on and the engine not running, sliding the cruise switch to the right reveals the "ON" lettering behind the sliding part of the switch. It also turns on an icon in the top left of digital display near where the "200" is on the speedometer. Hope this helps!