Spyder Garage

Default Rally Rear Spring Adjustment limit for 2UP - why so much preload range left?

Confused, the manual states for 2 up riding on Rally to set at 5/8". I find that very strange as there is almost half the threads on shock left to continue with more preload. Anyone know why?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-08-2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' thread not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

Its says set at 5/8 if traveling often with a passenger, its just guidelines. As you noted, its not at its limits and you can really set it at whatever you need to for you, your luggage and your passengers weight (I wouldn't max it out though). After all, they dont say what size people or passenger they are using for those guidelines. I set mine 1/16 past 5/8 at 11/16" because I'm 235 lbs and I carry luggage, the Rally also handles better for me at that little tighter setting.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Its says set at 5/8 if traveling often with a passenger, its just guidelines. As you noted, its not at its limits and you can really set it at whatever you need to for you, your luggage and your passengers weight (I wouldn't max it out though). After all, they dont say what size people or passenger they are using for those guidelines. I set mine 1/16 past 5/8 at 11/16" because I'm 235 lbs and I carry luggage, the Rally also handles better for me at that little tighter setting.
    A big reason I am asking is I'm 180 lbs., daughter is 200. I also have the Slingmods luggage set. My rear spring is set at 1.25 inches and the underside of luggage frame struck the rear fender (I have the full fender of 900 Ace) and put marks in the fender. Our ride together was a gentle ride as it was the first time she has ridden with me. This make me want to increase the rear spring to 1.5 inches but that is so far from what the manual states that I'm a bit nervous about
    doing that.

Spyder Garage

I saw on one of the YouTuber's channel that the Slingmods luggage frame takes away about .75"-1" of travel on the rear suspension because it hangs below the max mount. They were having the same problem hitting the fender and added some sort of padding under the luggage framework. Not sure you can adjust that out.

Spyder Garage

I have these problem with my normal 900 and the FOX shock on the back - I plan to add a Clip on SHOCK ABSORBER TRAVEL LIMITER .. hope that helps in the futur !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I had to replace the rear shock on the rally with Elka stage 4 shock. It eliminated the issue with bottoming out. I have only bottomed out occasionally since but I packed too heavy. I now weigh my bags before packing them. Chris, the SHOCK ABSORBER TRAVEL LIMITER sounds like a good idea!
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow