Spyder Garage

Default What's the HMF slip-on part number for 2014 Spyder RSS-SE5?

For some reason I can't pull up any of the hmf sites. Does anyone have the part number for the above bike? Amazon and ebay are not clear on years and models. Thanks for any help.

Spyder Garage

From what I see, it's not clear if ST parts fit RSS? Evidently there was some changes from years '12 and before and '13 and '14. Still don't understand why I can't pull up the HMF site(s).

Spyder Garage

2013 & on RT/ST/RSS's all had identical exhaust connections on the end of the catalytic converter - connections which I believe were different to those of the earlier models. But there were definitely some differences in the 'slip on' muffler brackets between the various post 2013 models - a slip on that worked on a 2014 RSS had the same connector as my RT & the ST's that we tried it on, so it actually 'fitted' as far as the pipe was concerned; but the bracket that held the muffler onto the Spyder outboard of the rear wheel needed to move about 6" along the muffler body and even when we resolved that, it still held the muffler in a fair bit 'closer' to the swing arm and so didn't allow enough clearance between the muffler & the park brake lever on the rear brake caliper.... the 'involuntary modification' that resulted on the tire side of the muffler was really not very pretty at all, and if I'd left the 'now ripped open' muffler in place, it would've eventually damaged/destroyed the park brake bits on the caliper too!!

So I'd guess that any HMF slip on that fits an ST/RT from 2013 on would actually 'fit' onto a 2014 RSS, but the bracketry to hold the muffler clear of the swing arm won't work unless you can move it along the length of the muffler body in order to match up with the different mounting points on the different model's frames; and even if it does that, it'll probably hold the muffler somewhat further away from the swing arm than most would prefer and so would need some modification to look 'right' anyway..... but as far as fitting something from an ST onto an RSS, I really am just guessing! I tried it the other way - fitting something from an RSS onto an RT/ST - and that wasn't really what I'd call 'successful', altho it was probably ultimately 'possible' to make it work.... but it certainly wasn't just a simple 'bolt 'er up & git 'er done' type task!

Sorry... and I can't help any with not being able to access the HMF site(s) either! They also won't let me in - the msg says 'redirected too many times'?!?

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-08-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I must admit I'm confused. I did the search about exhaust options for the Spyder and HMF came up quite often as the best bang for the buck. When I went to various sites I came up with several different part numbers, so I posted the question here. Here's what I don't understand, 140 views and no rider knows the part number and only one response.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Timan View Post
    .... options for the Spyder and HMF came up quite often as the best bang for the buck...... ..... 140 views and no rider knows the part number and only one response.
    Could it be that some years back, when Spyders were just new on the scene, HMF was pretty much the only option that people could find, try, & knew worked; so in your searching here HMF presented as being the 'go to' muffler - but now days many of those 'first buyers/modifiers' have now moved on/stopped ryding & grown old as a result??? Did you check the date on those threads/posts?? Were any of them really all that recent??

So it could be that back then, the people who were modifying their Spyders had a fairly limited range to choose from, so whatever was available featured highly on the Forum pages & scored lotsa recommendations. But these days, there are a whole bunch of 'newer' Spyder Ryders out there who are finding the A/mkt product range for Spyders has grown somewhat and there are now some other exhaust options; so HMF gets less of the Spyder/Market share, less presence on the Forum pages, and fewer of the current crop of Spyder Ryders run those exhausts on their machines - if any?!?!

Amongst the more recent offerings, RLS Exhausts comes to mind - they are a Supporting Sponsor here & as far as I can see from here in Oz, offer some pretty good products AND are pretty good in the Customer Service department too?! It's probably worth checking them out?! But there are others too....

Still, in almost all respects, for RS/RSS/ST's from 2013 & on, (with the 'bracketry proviso' I mentioned earlier ) they used much the same major engine components & exhaust set-up as the 2013 RT's did - so if you've got a 2014 RSS in need of a muffler then it will very likely use the same part number as that suitable for a 2013-2015 ST or possibly even a 2013 RT, but do check to make sure the brackets are compatible....

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!