Spyder Garage

Default no brakes,any thoughts

have a 2017 f3 limited,took off the frame bars and had them painted,at the same tim I pulled the rear tire and had a new one put on.Also changed the rear brakes pads,put it all back together after watching many videos and I have no brake pressure.One video said to pump up brakes before turning on parking brake,dont think I did that,as of now I have no brake pressure,any thoughts would be appreciated

Spyder Garage

Any codes?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Air in lines somewhere most likely. Need to bleed it out.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

no codes,and i did not take apart any lines,so I thought there could be nor air,but that is what it feels like,the pedal hits the floorboard and has a very small amount of brake

Spyder Garage

Have you tried pumping the brake pedal? The brakes needed to be pumped so that the rear brake caliper piston extends out to seat against the new brake pads. I am not talking about bleeding the brakes. Just pumping the pedal a few times to see if it gets hard.

Spyder Garage

yep,tried that

Spyder Garage

Time to bleed the brakes.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It sounds awfully much like the new rear brake pads aren't grabbing the disc, so all the pedal travel is going into fruitlessly trying to get them to close on the disc?!?

Are you sure the rear caliper went back on properly?? Maybe check to make sure you have a pad on each side of the disc, & not both of them on the one side.... Cos it's probably something odd like that, or you've got a bigger issue further up the (brake) line somewhere?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

was looking at bleeding the brakes,I do all my other motorcycles,but the videos i have watched on bleeding says you have to have the BUD setup,not sure about all that,maybe because it has abs brakes,

Spyder Garage

Definitely sounds like we are missing something here. If you did not take apart any brake lines or open any bleeders. And you did not change out the brake fluid in such a way as to introduce air into the system. And you did not press the brake peddle with the caliper(s) removed. Then there should be no air in the system. It doesn't just sneak in somehow. Even if there were air in the system. You should be able to pump your brakes quickly and get some additional, though temporary, resistance at the peddle. I don't think it possible to crush or crimp a brake line on the Spyder.

Did you re-assemble the parking brake system correctly? Does it need to be adjusted?

It will be interesting to find out what the problem is on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ntune View Post
    was looking at bleeding the brakes,I do all my other motorcycles,but the videos i have watched on bleeding says you have to have the BUD setup,not sure about all that,maybe because it has abs brakes,
    You only need BUDS to bleed the ABS portion of the brake system. Typically, for a simple air in the lines issue, you don't need BUDS.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-08-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe you only need the BUDS system if you want to bleed the ABS modules. Just bleeding the lines, should be able
    to be done...most vehicles are like that.

You have checked the level in the master cylinder, right?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

How did you compress the caliper pistons to get new pads in ? I generally have to open the bleeder a bit to do that...
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not yet had the pleasure of doing this task, but it is my understanding that you can bleed the brakes without using BUDS. I have gotten the impression that BUDS is necessary to cycle the ABS system so that brake fluid will go through there, too. If you are doing a fluid change and don't use BUDS, there will be a very small amount of the old fluid left in the system. I have no idea what percentage that might be, but I get the impression it's rather small.

Go ahead and bleed the system as you have done your 2-wheelers in the past. Since the bike was not run and the ABS was not triggered, there should be no air in the ABS part of the system, so a 'standard' bleed process should be just fine.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    How did you compress the caliper pistons to get new pads in ? I generally have to open the bleeder a bit to do that...
    Nope, not a good idea, and not necessary. Opening a bleed valve runs the risk of introducing a bit of air into the system. All the fluid will return to the
    master cylinder, just make sure it isn't in danger of becoming over full.

But I have to agree with BajaRon: if you didn't open any lines anywhere, there is no way for air to enter the system. You might make sure the master cylinder
    piston is retracting fully. If it sticks and doesn't return, you won't have any pressure. Just a thought.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Thanks all,found the problem, when I installed the #5 brake rod to floorboard #5 position,I had made a slight wrong measurement for new brake pedal ,the bottom of the brake pedal was hitting the top of the floorboard,so got out the tools and made a new brake pedal arm,and OH YEAH,its all good at the shop

Spyder Garage

3ntune, here's what I did to get my brake pedal where I needed it, what did you do?

BRAKE ROD.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

bought bajaron tool,works awesome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    3ntune, here's what I did to get my brake pedal where I needed it, what did you do?

BRAKE ROD.jpg
    Does anyone make a longer brake rod for my 2014 RTL? It looks like another 1/2 to 3/4 inch would raise my pedal to where I'd like it to be. I'm pretty handy in my shop; but it would be nice to just acquire one without the work involved. (??)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    Does anyone make a longer brake rod for my 2014 RTL? It looks like another 1/2 to 3/4 inch would raise my pedal to where I'd like it to be. I'm pretty handy in my shop; but it would be nice to just acquire one without the work involved. (??)
    Work, what work??? I find these work-around projects fun. It's fun exercising my brain to come up with a design. It's fun seeing the design evolve into a workable piece. It's fun being able to say, "I did it and it works!" It's fun having more of ME in my bike than things purchased from others.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

thumbnail (8).jpg, just finished

Spyder Garage

Work, what work??? I find these work-around projects fun. It's fun exercising my brain to come up with a design. It's fun seeing the design evolve into a workable piece. It's fun being able to say, "I did it and it works!" It's fun having more of ME in my bike than things purchased from others.
    RICZ ..... you are right! I have been in the tools and fleet management for over 50 years; and I have done stuff like your neat fix (Photo) many, many times, rather than have someone else do it ...... or ...... spend money on some "easy fix". I felt kind of guilty as soon as I saw your response. In fact, in my extended family, I'm considered McGiver. I guess I'm a little burned out from this year's prostate cancer (recovering) and Covid Crap and Political uncertainty. Thanks for waking me up to get back into my former optimistic self.

Spyder Garage

thumbnail (8).jpg, just finished
    Looks sharp!
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm a little burned out from this year's prostate cancer (recovering) and Covid Crap and Political uncertainty. Thanks for waking me up to get back into my former optimistic self.
    I am glad I could be of help Red. I'm in the same boat; 4X cancer survivor and up to my eyebrows with the Covid and election crap. I too, am a positive type and it's hard these days, to maintain that attitude.
    BTW, the sleeve I used to join the rods with is a 3/8" six inch galvanized pipe nipple with the threaded ends cut off and rounded for appearance. I did that over 5K miles ago and it's still rock solid. I ran a 1/2" drill bit through the nipple and had to shave a bit off the rod O.D.s. Inserted the roll pins in the back end rod, slipped the front rod in and put it on the bike. Put the pedal where I wanted it and made a mark on the rod at the front edge of the nipple. Then dilled and inserted the roll pins and painted it. Now go and have fun, my friend.

Spyder Garage

...... Now go and have fun, my friend.
    Thanks very much for the details of the fix; and thanks for the support. You sound like a good friend, indeed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-09-2020 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much for the details of the fix; and thanks for the support. You sound like a good friend, indeed.
    To me, a stranger is a friend I have yet to meet. We left coasters have to stick together - we have a lot we have to deal with.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-09-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display