Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76
  1. #51
    Member GRUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    North East Florida
    Posts
    27
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    MZ, where do you live in Florida? I’ve purchased 4 Spyders from 4 different dealers based on the bad experiences but this last one was absolutely fantastic. Last month I purchased a 2020 RTL Dark from Sky Powersports in Lakeland, keep in mind I live 3 hours away but would do it all over again. RideNow in Jacksonville where I work 3 miles away was insanity. I was hit at $34K OTD with no trade... Not sure how they got to that price based on the $26,200 price point on there website. After explaining this to the sales manager he came back 10 minutes later telling me $31K OTD was the very best he could do. Again no way to get to that price even at sticker but I sent 1 email to Sky Powersports and within an hour was hit with $26,400 OTD for the same exact unit. I drove down 3 days later and purchased. I was in there a total of 1 hour, I can’t tell you how easy they made it. You can email Bre who’s in their internet dept or speak with Chris in sales. If you wanna send me a pm I can provide their email addresses. I also have no regrets going with the RTL, in my previous posts you can read my opinions on the 4 different units I’ve owned. All of them were great except for the 2018 F3 Limited... It was so damn sluggish... I think I could run faster... Anyways good luck.

  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    13
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I also transitioned from two wheels when I could no longer trust my legs to keep even a mid-size upright in all conditions. BRP runs training classes for the Spyder. If you can find one anywhere near you, I strongly suggest you sign up. It was worth every dollar and every mile I had to drive to get there.

  3. #53
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    1,074
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Interesting comment Butter, I too like the 'interaction' of the front wheels with the road. I will be torn when it comes tire time K9s vs car, but I will probably opt for the car tires, there are some good recommendations on this forum, plus the old timers here talk up the car tires.

  4. #54
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    37,754
    Spyder Garage
    7

    Default

    At this point, not enough input from the people who are beta testing the K9's. Longevity is what I am concerned about.

    I have gone the car tire route with two of mine, one now traded off, one with 10K miles and counting.

    My new F3L has OEM's of course. When it comes time to tire up, I am currently leaning back to car tires.

    Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited, 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow). 7 Spyders, 12 years, 175,500 miles

    2019 F3L , Phoenix Orange

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    MZ, where do you live in Florida? Iíve purchased 4 Spyders from 4 different dealers based on the bad experiences but this last one was absolutely fantastic. Last month I purchased a 2020 RTL Dark from Sky Powersports in Lakeland, keep in mind I live 3 hours away but would do it all over again. RideNow in Jacksonville where I work 3 miles away was insanity. I was hit at $34K OTD with no trade... Not sure how they got to that price based on the $26,200 price point on there website. After explaining this to the sales manager he came back 10 minutes later telling me $31K OTD was the very best he could do. Again no way to get to that price even at sticker but I sent 1 email to Sky Powersports and within an hour was hit with $26,400 OTD for the same exact unit. I drove down 3 days later and purchased. I was in there a total of 1 hour, I canít tell you how easy they made it. You can email Bre whoís in their internet dept or speak with Chris in sales. If you wanna send me a pm I can provide their email addresses. I also have no regrets going with the RTL, in my previous posts you can read my opinions on the 4 different units Iíve owned. All of them were great except for the 2018 F3 Limited... It was so damn sluggish... I think I could run faster... Anyways good luck.
    Very gracious! We live down in Estero, south end of Lee County Just north of Naples. Lakeland is not that far at all. It is just off a route that I ride from here up to Gainesville (I am presuming you're a Noles fan being from up there...Gators here). I am friends and former neighbor with a big shot over at Sunsports here in town. They play games but just the typical stuff. If we make the decision to purchase I think I'd have to give them first shot. Tha is CRAZY about RideNow. I know they are a nationwide cooperative of dealerships but not for long with antics like that. Lake Wales is another nice place to ride through not too far from there.

    Again, thank you very much for being so helpful!

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    I also transitioned from two wheels when I could no longer trust my legs to keep even a mid-size upright in all conditions. BRP runs training classes for the Spyder. If you can find one anywhere near you, I strongly suggest you sign up. It was worth every dollar and every mile I had to drive to get there.
    Thank you. Yes they do. Though we are not a large market overall, it is a very popular destination for powersports. just tons of bikes, trikes, and ATVs sold here every month. We don't have many advanced courses here but the basic courses are widely available.

    I am still fit, healthy, and strong enough to handle my bike with luggage, etc. I am going to take her on a 6000 mile trip to South Dakota next year. But lots of things are changing as i move past 53 years old; with me and with the crazy growth down here in SW Florida. I'm not riding with fear but rather common sense and introspection. One way or the other, before or after the 6K trip, I'm going to be on either three wheels or a much lighter and smaller displacement bike.

  7. #57
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    1,074
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Grunt, glad you had a good experience with Sky Power Sports, I live in Lakeland, we could not get together on a price, but then I had a trade in and it's all about the out the door price. Wow, from JAX, you did do a ride, guess you won't be getting your service there.

  8. #58
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    15,194
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Interesting comment Butter, I too like the 'interaction' of the front wheels with the road. I will be torn when it comes tire time K9s vs car, but I will probably opt for the car tires, there are some good recommendations on this forum, plus the old timers here talk up the car tires.
    " OLD TIMERS " , I'm definitely one of those ..... and Proud of it ......Mike

  9. #59
    Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC. Canada
    Posts
    437
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " OLD TIMERS " , I'm definitely one of those ..... and Proud of it ......Mike
    Mike, I think that the majority of us on SL fall into that category. I also think that the same majority came to 3 wheels after many years on 2.

    2014 Spyder RTS-SE6 Cognac
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Sena 10S Helmet Intercom
    Garmin Nuvi GPS
    Sirius Satelite Radio
    Bruce Erickson

    Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

    JMHO WTFDIK

  10. #60
    Very Active Member Peteoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Harrington, Australia
    Posts
    2,511
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    At this point, not enough input from the people who are beta testing the K9's. Longevity is what I am concerned about.
    Yeah, everyone has different drivers, AR. Longevity is on my radar, but not strongly. I get a much more sure-footed feeling from my aftermarket tyres than from the Kendas, which is why I chose that route.
    Harrington, Australia

    2016 F3 Limited - Setup for Tall.... 6'7", 300lbs, 38"inleg.
    Lamonster RIP Boards in Position#5
    F4 25" F3-L screen
    Russell Daylong custom seat with driver 1.5" rearset, 2Ē taller
    Lamonster Billy Club handlebars
    ECU Xtreme Stage 2 retune
    Bajaron Stabiliser Bar
    Wilber 630/640 shocks
    Kuhmo KH17 175/60 fronts-18psi / KU22 205/55 rear-18psi
    2016 Limited , Rapid Red

  11. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    If you like oil and tire discussions, we will not disappoint.
    That is hysterical! Those threads sure do get a lot of traction for some reason! My right hand to God, I'll never start an oil or a tire thread.

    Thanks for the input.


    Mike

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Well, I think this is a dead deal right now. I think I mentioned that my wife rides also. She was down with the idea of getting rid of both bikes and going to the CanAm. We went on a ride through one of the state forests on two wheels. When we got back as soon as she took her helmet off she said she was not ready to give up her bike. We have an oversized 3-car but two vehicles, 2 motorcycles, one scooter and a golf cart coming in the near future. I just don't have the space for the CanAm and the other items without giving up my shop space (and I like to tinker). Thanks for all of the input guys! It seems like a really friendly group of contributors here. Anyhow, we shall see what the future holds!

  13. #63
    Active Member Snoking1127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, everyone has different drivers, AR. Longevity is on my radar, but not strongly. I get a much more sure-footed feeling from my aftermarket tyres than from the Kendas, which is why I chose that route.
    My Federal's went on yesterday late in the day. Discount tire was unable to balance them as they did not have a cone that would fit in the wheel. Based on what I have read about there lack of needing much weight to be balanced I will take it for a spin today before seeking out someone who can balance them. The tire tech did say that he mounted them with the colored dot at the valve location, which he said the tire manufacture puts on the tires for that purpose. Lamonster currently has the front wheel only Centramatic "out of Stock" or I would maybe order those. They have the three wheel kit available, however spending another 100 bucks for the rear??? Many do not even try to balance the rear wheels. If I need the fronts balanced I will call Nash in Mesa and ask how they get them balanced.
    2018 RT Limited Chrome - Champagne Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix

  14. #64
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    96
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    The Spyder is a fun machine, but it will never take the place of a good handling motorcycle. If I get to the point where balance, and
    heft preclude motorcycling, then a Spyder is the next best thing. It's fun, but it's not a motorcycle. Think of it as a very small
    sports car that encourages you to move about while cornering.
    What he said.

  15. #65
    Active Member Snoking1127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mzflorida View Post
    Well, I think this is a dead deal right now. I think I mentioned that my wife rides also. She was down with the idea of getting rid of both bikes and going to the CanAm. We went on a ride through one of the state forests on two wheels. When we got back as soon as she took her helmet off she said she was not ready to give up her bike. We have an oversized 3-car but two vehicles, 2 motorcycles, one scooter and a golf cart coming in the near future. I just don't have the space for the CanAm and the other items without giving up my shop space (and I like to tinker). Thanks for all of the input guys! It seems like a really friendly group of contributors here. Anyhow, we shall see what the future holds!
    Yeah, you guys are to young to give up your bikes! At 76 me and 79 DW we bought an used 2018 RTL because we needed another hobby and had room in the carport to park it. Last bike was in the 1980s and a 650SR Kawasaki. Last summer up North we bought a Ford Edge ST with the twin turbo 2.7L V-6 which is a real kick to drive. So I wanted to buy a second one for down here in Arizona. With a 3500 Ram truck in the carport there was no room for a second car. And I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, so a road bike was out. So enter from stage right, Can Am Spyder RT Limited Chrome. Our RV resort has a mix of 2 wheelers, trikes GWs, HDs and Spyders. And group rides include this mix. In the two wheeler category HD is way out front, with a few GWs and Indians. Arizona is a great place to ride, fall, Winter and Spring.

    What starts on four, then two and finally three? Yep people here are at stage three!

    Enjoy your bikes and rides!
    2018 RT Limited Chrome - Champagne Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix

  16. #66
    Active Member Snoking1127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    189
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post

    The Spyder is a fun machine, but it will never take the place of a good handling motorcycle. If I get to the point where balance, and
    heft preclude motorcycling, then a Spyder is the next best thing. It's fun, but it's not a motorcycle. Think of it as a very small
    sports car that encourages you to move about while cornering.
    Through the 1990's and to 2006 we rode snowmobiles all winter. The Spyder is more like a snowmobile than any other powered vehicle/machine. Steering is the same along with shifting body weight in corners. Although snowmobiles are not quite as wide up front it is still something you have to be attuned to on trails and playing in the trees!
    2018 RT Limited Chrome - Champagne Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix

  17. #67
    Active Member Bangorbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Pahrump NV
    Posts
    125
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I had both a spyder rt and Vstar 1300. Thought I was finished with 2 wheels and sold the Vstar. I found out I do miss the 2 wheeler. I am looking at the Honda CTX DCT abs for my 2 wheeler as I don't need to clutch it and light enough to my 70 yr old (almost 71) legs can still hold it up.

  18. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    21
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I had both a spyder rt and Vstar 1300. Thought I was finished with 2 wheels and sold the Vstar. I found out I do miss the 2 wheeler. I am looking at the Honda CTX DCT abs for my 2 wheeler as I don't need to clutch it and light enough to my 70 yr old (almost 71) legs can still hold it up.
    FWIW, the CTX700 with DCT is an underrated gem of a bike. It's versatile as heck, feels much lighter than its 500 pounds, and is simply a LOT of fun to ride. Because it never became popular, you can often find one at a good price. Honda stopped selling them in the US in 2018.

    Had mine since 2014, and don't plan to part with it despite my recent purchase of a '16 F3-S.

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    14
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Why don't people consider Spyders as motorcycles? They are motorcycles, not bikes(meaning 2 wheels), but trikes(meaning 3 wheels) lol.
    I've never had a 2 wheeler, I wanted 1 until I laid eyes on a spyder years ago. I recently purchased a 2020 RT(last month). I'm really enjoying it. I haven't put many miles on it. I'm still getting used to riding.
    As many others have stated, test drive/ride both the F3 and RT if you can. There are some places that will allow you to rent them(at least that's what I heard). My first riding experience was during the 3 wheel riding course. It costs me $99. I was able to get some ride time on both the F3 and RT(granted not street riding), but you get to spend time with both(hopefully). Plus, you can get a little discount on your insurance.
    As far as the geometry for you on the bike, I think the F3 has the u-fit system which allows you do some adjustments giving you options on peg and handlebar placement/position. The 2020 RT has 23 inch foot boards. I preferred the handle bars on the F3. So, I had the dealer swap them for the RT bars.

    Long story short, I think if you give it a shot, you'd likely enjoy it.

    You can find the 3-wheel course closest to you by using the link below:
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/learn-to-ride.html

  20. #70
    Very Active Member RICZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,797
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Noking1127.....My go to tire shop is an independent who does a prolific business. They had ho difficulty at all balancing the front wheels. I suggest you make inquiries as to who can do that for you.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    13
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    What he said.
    That goes for me too. I am enjoying my Spyder, but if I could go back to 2-wheels, I would in a heartbeat.

  22. #72
    Very Active Member Lew L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    forrest above Reno, Nv
    Posts
    2,750
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Thumbs up Riding both

    I switch back and forth between 2 and 3 wheels during the riding season. Our 2014 RTS is great and we tour on it every summer. My poor, old, slow V-Max still allows for low flight through the Sierra Nevada passes. In the winter I haveto stick with 2--- skis that is ....................

    Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 01-10-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

    2014 RTS in circuit yellow, farkeling addiction down to once every few months.ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

  23. #73
    Very Active Member RICZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,797
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I can go back to 2 wheels - do I want to? Heck no!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I had both a spyder rt and Vstar 1300. Thought I was finished with 2 wheels and sold the Vstar. I found out I do miss the 2 wheeler. I am looking at the Honda CTX DCT abs for my 2 wheeler as I don't need to clutch it and light enough to my 70 yr old (almost 71) legs can still hold it up.
    Please, feel free to let me know if you would like any information on the CTX. My wife rides the 2015 with DCT. We have owned three Honda DCT bikes. We were unsure if we would enjoy it. Well, tens of thousands of miles and I can tell you it is the best thing that ever happened to touring & cruising motorcycles. Not that you can get it on the CTX, but there is a fourth gen of the DCT that is rider programmable, in addition to the already existing modes of D S1,2,3. I believe it is on the new Rebel 1100 and is certainly on the NC750X European iteration (likely for the USA later this year). I have no problems at all with the DCT in corners but other report that they would shift differently than the learned program. However, it can be overridden instantaneously with your left index finger or thumb...faster than you could ever shift a manual tranny. I have this 500 mile route that I ride from here to Gainesville and back on my VFR1200X DCT. The DCT makes the ride so much more enjoyable and, believe it or not, I am less fatigued. I can tell you this, the CTX is the easiest bike in the world to ride. Seat sucks but she added a Corbin. I think the suspension needs to be addressed, she disagrees, but I am 100 pounds heavier than her. Very tame and controllable machine that has been literally problem free...not one issue. However, I am a maintenance freak. Anyhow, as you can see, I can go on and on (and I haven't even finished my coffee). I am happy to help if you should have any questions. I understand this machine from top to bottom and can give you an unbiased opinion on it. Love to be able to return the graciousness that you all have shown my wife and me in our research of the CanAm.

  25. #75
    Active Member Bangorbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Pahrump NV
    Posts
    125
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mzflorida View Post
    Please, feel free to let me know if you would like any information on the CTX. My wife rides the 2015 with DCT. We have owned three Honda DCT bikes. We were unsure if we would enjoy it. Well, tens of thousands of miles and I can tell you it is the best thing that ever happened to touring & cruising motorcycles. Not that you can get it on the CTX, but there is a fourth gen of the DCT that is rider programmable, in addition to the already existing modes of D S1,2,3. I believe it is on the new Rebel 1100 and is certainly on the NC750X European iteration (likely for the USA later this year). I have no problems at all with the DCT in corners but other report that they would shift differently than the learned program. However, it can be overridden instantaneously with your left index finger or thumb...faster than you could ever shift a manual tranny. I have this 500 mile route that I ride from here to Gainesville and back on my VFR1200X DCT. The DCT makes the ride so much more enjoyable and, believe it or not, I am less fatigued. I can tell you this, the CTX is the easiest bike in the world to ride. Seat sucks but she added a Corbin. I think the suspension needs to be addressed, she disagrees, but I am 100 pounds heavier than her. Very tame and controllable machine that has been literally problem free...not one issue. However, I am a maintenance freak. Anyhow, as you can see, I can go on and on (and I haven't even finished my coffee). I am happy to help if you should have any questions. I understand this machine from top to bottom and can give you an unbiased opinion on it. Love to be able to return the graciousness that you all have shown my wife and me in our research of the CanAm.
    Thanks for the info. I may get in contact with you via pm to start a conversation.
    r/Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •