Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering Going From 2 to 3 Wheels

Hi everyone. My wife and I are considering moving on to a Spyder, probably an RT. I am currently on a VFR1200X and she is on a CTX700. Both are DCT (we thought we would hate it but absolutely love the DCT...so much more enjoyable on long trips). We are both capable touring riders and have never wrecked and can only recall two or three driveway drops ever. That said, we think we might want to be on top of a little more stable platform. Anyhow, I recall coming here some time back and seeing a list of considerations on switching from two wheels to the CanAm three wheel platform. I cannot seem to locate it...any help would be appreciated. Any input or observations on moving to a Can Am would be great. I like the technical side of riding...right gear, right speed, lean angle, line, exits and entries. I'd be interested in hearing from other riders who enjoy the technical side on thier opinions of the transition. I also like moding and working on my own bikes. One last thing, I am 602 wife is 510 we both have long inseams. Opinions on geometry for tall riders would be great. Anyhow, that's a lot of stuff...hope it's not too much. Thanks!!! Mike.

Spyder Garage

try the following link for a multitude of Spyder info for both newbies and seasoned ryders.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mzflorida View Post
    Hi everyone. My wife and I are considering moving on to a Spyder, probably an RT. I am currently on a VFR1200X and she is on a CTX700. Both are DCT (we thought we would hate it but absolutely love the DCT...so much more enjoyable on long trips). We are both capable touring riders and have never wrecked and can only recall two or three driveway drops ever. That said, we think we might want to be on top of a little more stable platform. Anyhow, I recall coming here some time back and seeing a list of considerations on switching from two wheels to the CanAm three wheel platform. I cannot seem to locate it...any help would be appreciated. Any input or observations on moving to a Can Am would be great. I like the technical side of riding...right gear, right speed, lean angle, line, exits and entries. I'd be interested in hearing from other riders who enjoy the technical side on thier opinions of the transition. I also like moding and working on my own bikes. One last thing, I am 602 wife is 510 we both have long inseams. Opinions on geometry for tall riders would be great. Anyhow, that's a lot of stuff...hope it's not too much. Thanks!!! Mike.
    I moved to the Can-Am's starting back in 09 because of balance issues .... even if I could handle a Wing now I wouldn't go back ....I have the semi=auto trans RT, and wouldn't go back to manual - EVER ...... I tried a HD and Wing trikes first and they su*ked badly .... the Spyders handle as well as Auto's do ( I also have a Shelby Cobra ) ..... If possible go test ride some first .... just drive it like a CAR and you will love it ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am not a Motordriver, I went straight on the spyder f3s, and just love it, i put on luggagepack, big windscreen, I own it since june, and I drove 6800 Kms with it. As for driving goes it's a blast, but coming from two wheels it is a major difference ( I think )
    A spyder does not lean in corners, but you can drive the hell out of it, also for cruising it's quite OK, furthermore it's an easy machine to work on, also lot's of things you can modify.
    I welded a complete exhaust, with an acropovic endpipe, no catalitic converter, also tuned it, the 1330 is more capable at lower revs, the torque went up by a whopping 30 newton, also it runs quicker to the redline (Factory BRP, is downtuning the engine)
    I wrapped the fenders, wrapped the panels left and right, they scratch easily.

Your length should not be a problem, on a RT you more in the bike, f3 more on the bike, excuse my bad english, am from the netherlands, need more info, just give a shout.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I have been and am still a very happy two wheel owner. Have had many over the years beginning in 1966. Had everything from 80cc one lunger to 2000cc V-twin, and some big touring bikes in between. I am still driving a Vulcan and will have almost 10K miles on that this year.

Bought my first Spyder in 08. I got the first one sold to a customer in Alaska. Bought it sight unseen and no test drive. I loved it and have not looked back since. I am now on Spyder number six and soon to be number seven. I have over 170,000 combined Spyder miles.

As with all products there have been ups and downs. At this point in time, I believe BRP has most of the issues solved. The current 1330 platform is very good. It is in both the RT and F3 models. The basic difference is that RT is similar to a gold wing in ride, and F3 is a very nice cruiser. You owe it to yourself to try both out. I was a dyed in the wool RT person until I started riding the F3. I was won over very quickly. Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ar traveler is so right, test drove em both, the f3 and certainly the " s" is, much more fun, as to an rt.
    bit like an rt being an old cadillac, and a f3, more like a hotrod.
    But both machines have their own charms, I find the f3 more suitable for my needs.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I began riding MCs in 1952, so my body and brain were hardwired to them. In 2-2019 I switched to a Spyder F3 Limited SE6 because the ergos on the RT did not work for me. I'm so happy I went with the F3L, it's sportier, you sit in it and not on it, handles better then an RT and (like you, I like to do my own wrenching) it is a lot easier to work on in so many ways.
    A riding friend told me I won't feel comfortable with it until about 1K miles - he was right. He also said you won't feel like you're in control for another 1K - he was spot on. The learning curve was steep and long, but I'm over it and tossing that puppy around like I'm a 19 year old who stole it.
    You did one of the best things you could by getting on this forum. If you like oil and tire discussions, we will not disappoint.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I began riding MCs in 1952, so my body and brain were hardwired to them. In 2-2019 I switched to a Spyder F3 Limited SE6 because the ergos on the RT did not work for me.
    That’s why you should test ride both first. I have the RT, because the ergos of the F3 don’t work for me. I have put 45,000+ kms on my RTS and love it. I first started riding in ‘59, had a ‘49 Royal Enfield 500 cc single. My last 2 wheeler was a VTX 1300 cc and had to give it up because of the same ergo’s. I can’t say this too many times....TEST RIDE BOTH.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mzflorida View Post
    I moved from an Indian Scout to a 2020RT two months ago. I've driven the RT 4200 miles since then, so the transition is fresh in my mind. My riding background is more of touring/commuting rider and the 'cruiser' image of the Scout isn't indicative of how I ride. Shaft drives and Windjammers are a more accurate picture.

Let me first say I'm not going back to 2 wheels. The Spyder is a unique experience and a test ride can be misleading if you expect it to be a variation on the motorcycle theme. Because of the irregularities of the roads around here, the Spyder moves around the roll axis quite a bit. That's motion you don't experience on a motorcycle, and it can be disconcerting at first. I related roll motion (leaning) to turning and it seemed at first like the Spyder was constantly trying to dart off in a new direction, while it actually goes quite straight. Since you aren't aligning the vertical axis of you body with the center of gravity while cornering, you have to hold yourself against the centrifugal (inertia really) cornering force with your arms and legs, so it can be more fatiguing in the twisties. Tar snakes, gravel, oil spots -- things that would get your immediate attention on the bike soon fade into the background. That and the bigger visual picture you present to motorists makes it feel safer, and in some respects you are.

Once I accepted that it was a different type of vehicle that I needed to understand, riding became more enjoyable. Now it's quite fun and I prefer the Spyder. One adjustment I didn't anticipate is the whole lane position thing. I was very conditioned to ride in the left wheel track most of the time. It took effort to stay in the middle of the lane and I would catch myself with the left wheel on the line, while riding in the track. The wind protection on the RT is at least as good as a Windjammer with lowers and has extended the temperature range for riding. It is not a rocket ship, but has adequate power for touring. To me, it performs like a good 500cc motorcycle.

I'm 5'5" and am at the bottom of the fit profile for the RT. Your sizes should be a great fit. Working on your own machine is a big plus with a Spyder. Dealers are expensive, and scheduling maintenance can be a real pain and leave you without your Spyder when you want it most. Be prepared for ramps, jacks, and a few special tools.

These are my opinions and observations, YMMV.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

As Bigbadbrucie said....test ride them all. He's right. What works for me may not work for you.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I am 6'4" 240lbs. You may want to consider the F3 Limited over the RT as far as leg riding position. I know the 2020 RT has an improved (extended) floorboard, but riding both I felt more connected to the F3 because my center of mass feels lower compared to the feeling of sitting "on top" of the RT. Moved from a 2014 Harley Ultra Limited to my 2019 F3 T due to multiple surgeries... I can honestly say now with 5000 miles on the F3 this summer that I am enjoying it more because of stability, (no more worries of dropping it or hitting some gravel), visibility, etc. I haven't listed all my mods on this site yet, but with YouTube and the great folks on this forum, wrenching on my Spyder (and I am not a handy guy) has been a joy. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

We'll add our two cents to the discussion beginning with individual information. I'm 75 and stand 5'11" while my bride is 68 and stands 5'8". We've both been riding for many years and have had something in the neighborhood of 2 dozen two wheel machines. A few years ago I had an opportunity to buy a "pre-owned" (love that phrase) which is to say used 2015 RT-S with a whopping 436 miles on it for a very good price. Shortly after that my wife decided she wanted her own and we found a 2012 RT-L that had been treated very carefully by the original owner, again for a very good price in our opinion. We parted ways with my BMW K75S and her Honda CTX700 and, as others have said, haven't looked back since.

We both understand that the Spyders aren't perfect but they are much more enjoyable, at our age, than heavy two wheel machines. When a pair of Spyders pull up at a service station, restaurant, or attraction and people see a grey haired guy and a younger looking, but still middle age, woman get off and remove helmets, we almost always find people who are curious and ask questions. We believe, in part, it's because Spyders are much less intimidating than traditional bikes to the non-riding public.

We tour and travel much more now than we did on the BMW and Honda and now actively look for opportunities to go exploring. That's not a bad thing at all. Not to mention that, regardless of age, Spyders allow riders to continue to ride, and safely at that.

And, if you like making your ride very personal - performance, comfort, safety, or simply bling - there are enough providers of Spyder accessories to empty a healthy 401(k) account! I suspect there are very few completely stock Spyders in the known world.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a sport bike rider, never had a cruiser, well my ex-wife had a 1982 Virago. Consequently my riding tends to be more "spirited" and
    I revel in the connection between bike and rider in the corners. I've toured much on lots of different bikes, but starting in the 80's I
    moved to the sportbike platform, and toured on them. I've ridden my '86 FJ1200 from coast to coast and north to south. I currently
    ride a 1999 VFR Interceptor, and have had it since 2000.

The Spyder is a fun machine, but it will never take the place of a good handling motorcycle. If I get to the point where balance, and
    heft preclude motorcycling, then a Spyder is the next best thing. It's fun, but it's not a motorcycle. Think of it as a very small
    sports car that encourages you to move about while cornering.

We got the Spyder for my wife as she feels the Silverwing was getting too heavy, and the PCX is too underpowered to keep up on the
    highway. She is still in the learning stages of the Spyder, but does like it a lot.

Definitely give the Spyder a try, you might find it ticks the boxes that make for a great ride.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

MZ,
    Welcome, I'm new as well.
    I'm 64 and made the transition in September. I love it and I'm on the path to far exceeding my average two wheeled milage.
    1B2CAFEA-D729-4589-89C8-2D18052D190F.jpg
    F3S
    Black, with black stuff on it.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Welcome to the forum.....
    I started riding 2 wheels in 1956 and have always had a bike since then.... never had a get off
    until I was 70 and then I was not even moving I got hit by and ran over by a drunk driver while I was sitting at a stop sign
    at that point my wife said " your OLD get something that don't tip over" I got my Spyder and HATED IT...
    until I learned how to ride it, after a while I got the hang of it and now it is my go to ride... yes I still
    have 2 wheels but I don't ride it near as much as the Spyder.... Now at 78 I ride plenty...
    Go ride one and you will know if it is right for you.
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 11-07-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just repeating what's been said, IT AIN'T A MOTORCYCLE!
    I'm new to 3-wheels too. I came off a 1200cc sport tourer that did both very well. I ride spirited + but not a peg-scraper. The Spyder is lots of fun - like driving a racing go-kart. But it doesn't do anything like a motorcycle except put you in the wind. I have the 2020 RT (elec screen, radio, long floorboard sold me over F3). If you ride spirited, you will soon be buying a sway bar & auto tires. Maybe a set of shocks too. It's the only way these weebles can corner almost enough to keep your 2-wheeled pals in view in the twisties!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I’m 6’3 and my wife is 5’11... I’ve owned 4 Spyders and to be honest none of them have been an issue let room or comfort wise but my 2020 RTL is by far the best fit especially my wife, she absolutely loves the space she has on the back. I’ve owned a 2017 F3S, 2018 F3T and F3L... By far the worst out of all of these was the 2018 F3L because it was so damn sluggish, not sure what’s different with my 2020 RTL but it blows the F3L away with pick up and over all ride. Out of these 4 thats the only one where I had some buyers remorse. Good luck...

Spyder Garage

Second the motion on the DCT. I had a CTX700, which I absolutely loved, mainly because of the DCT. Had to give it up due to arthritis and leg strength problems. My brother has it now and also loves the DCT. I really resent the fact that my body has forced me to give up two wheels. Riding the the Spyder is a lot more physical work than two wheels. On two wheels, a slight push and lean to establish the bank, then a slight push on exit gets you around pretty much any turn. On the Spyder, you need to apply substantial pressure on the handlebars all the way through the turn. The higher the speed, the more pressure required. Also, unlike two wheels which wants to go straight, the Spyder tends to wander and requires pretty much constant correction. That becomes 2nd nature after awhile, but still requires physical effort. The Spyder will never give the free and easy experience I had with two wheels, but it won't fall over when I go into a gas station and is way better than not riding at all.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    Second the motion on the DCT. I had a CTX700, which I absolutely loved, mainly because of the DCT. Had to give it up due to arthritis and leg strength problems. My brother has it now and also loves the DCT. I really resent the fact that my body has forced me to give up two wheels. Riding the the Spyder is a lot more physical work than two wheels. On two wheels, a slight push and lean to establish the bank, then a slight push on exit gets you around pretty much any turn. On the Spyder, you need to apply substantial pressure on the handlebars all the way through the turn. The higher the speed, the more pressure required. Also, unlike two wheels which wants to go straight, the Spyder tends to wander and requires pretty much constant correction. That becomes 2nd nature after awhile, but still requires physical effort. The Spyder will never give the free and easy experience I had with two wheels, but it won't fall over when I go into a gas station and is way better than not riding at all.
    It will get easier with more driving experience ..... a lot of folks compare the Spyders to Motorcycles .... Well their NOT .... they are harder to maneuver than your car, but there is a good reason for that ..... if the Spyders had that amount of steering boost - they would be un-controllable above 35 mph. I have a Shelby Cobra with a MANUAL steering rack and 255/50 - 17 sticky tires ... I only notice the steering when backing out of the garage because about 1200lbs is carried by my front tires ...... enjoy it for what it is .... not what it isn't ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... enjoy it for what it is .... not what it isn't .....
    That is the money line...
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The Spyder is lots of fun - like driving a racing go-kart.
    This is how I describe it
    F3S
    Black, with black stuff on it.

Spyder Garage

I’ve been riding a Harley since 1956 and I love them all. But now that I’m 74 and have a leg that is more titanium than bone, I have a hard time holding up the two wheelers. I thought about a Harley trike, but they’re too expensive and they push more through the corners than my spider RT does. I am totally satisfied with mine and I plan on keeping it for a while.

Spyder Garage

I have been riding two wheels for 62 years, still have one and ride it 90% of the time. I am a touring rider, still average 23,000 miles per year. I now have my third Spyder RT, a 2020, bought it only because of balance concerns when my wife is a passenger... Each Spyder I have bought I think maybe this one will be better, it is not !!! I have the BaJaRon sway bar installed, they just ride so darn rough !!!! I am in west central Ohio, many roads are covered with “chip seal” which contributes to the problem.. Any cures to smooth the ride ??? Reading all the positive comments on the forum, apparently I am the only one that has concerns about the ride... any suggestions are very much appreciated....

Spyder Garage

The rarely spoken of downside to a heavy sway bar is a rougher ride. It reduces the independence of the front wheels. Like almost everything else, it's a trade off, and each rider must decide for himself where the desired flat-cornering/smooth-ride balance point lies. That aside, tire pressure seems to be the most critical ride quality factor. Even slightly over-inflated tires can feel like you're riding on billiard balls. I run my tires at the low point of the manufactures spec -- 18psi in front and 26 in the rear. The Kendas will be gone this winter and the pressure will go down further with car tires.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

When I threw away the Kenda plastic tires and installed the Q-5 tires, the ride became softer and far less (none yet) slippage in corners. I have the Bajaron bar and the combo of tires & bar has made for a much smoother and controllable ride. I tried 18 psi but that was too soft - felt mushy. 20 psi is working very well for me.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White