Spyder Garage

Default What wheel balancer do you use for front wheels?

I have a Marc Parnes balancer with cones that work for the rear wheel but the center hub on the fronts is too small & narrow for any cones available from MP. I also tried an auto shop dynamic balancer but the same issue - hub diameter too small for their cones.

Harbor Freight has a bubble balancer but it appears to be very inaccurate per reviews.

I'm using beads for now but would prefer using weights. What else is out there for doing the fronts?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LaMonster sells ( which I use on my Goldwing and F3L) Centramatics, wheel balancer discs......expensive,but smooooooth ride.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    LaMonster sells ( which I use on my Goldwing and F3L) Centramatics, wheel balancer discs......expensive,but smooooooth ride.
    Thanks! I considered those but I'm trying to avoid dynamic beads and discs. Just looking for a proper balancing tool to determine fixed weight positions.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

I have used Centramatics for several years, first with my 2012 Goldwing and now with my 2016 RTL.

On the Wing, no other balancing was required and the ride was smooth.

As to the Spyder - Per Centramatics instructions, they advise getting the wheel balanced initially as well as the Centramatics added.

I believe that caveat is because of the lower quality Kenda tires. Before I replaced those stock tires, one side had 1 oz and the other had 1.25oz of wheel weight to bring the tire into balance. The Veredsteins I put on required .25 oz on one tire and 0 on the other tire.

And my ride is very smooth.

FWIW

Spyder Garage

I have the Marc Parnes set for my 2015 RT. He did make a set of adapters for me for the front wheels. I have had those for at least three or four years. Contact the company directly and ask for the adapters for the front wheels on the Spyder. I also had to purchase a longer shaft from Marc Parnes to be able to balance the rear wheel.
    MPAdapters.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have a bubble balancer that I bought from JC Whitney years ago. That worked for my fronts. It looks very similar to the HF balancer, I would try that one myself. Sometimes you have to tweak the HF stuff to get it to work properly, you get what you pay for.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

No-Mar. works great.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

the harbor freight bubble balancer works fine. using a bubble balancer requires patience and time. beats a spin balancer any day. the spin balancers are usually set up for 1/4 ounce tolerence. all you have to do with the harbor freight balancer is to zero the bubble and oil the steel pointed tip. i also use the balancer for my car tires.

Spyder Garage

I have and use a Snap On hand spun dynamic balancer for cars / trucks. Fits the 14 and newer Spyder wheels without any issues. Never tried on 2013 and prior but no reason they should not fit.

When balancing, I place weights on the inner flange, outer flange or both. This prevents precession or wobble imbalance.

While others believe that usually automotive balancers are set up for 1/4 ounce increments, some might be, but I dial in the setting fr within one tenth of an ounce.

All the best in getting it sorted out.

Spyder Garage

I also use the Marc Parnes unit on all three wheels. I contacted Marc directly and he supplied everything needed. I had an older set so he had me send him the cones I had and he modified them to work with the longer shaft that was needed for the rear wheel.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    I have the Marc Parnes set for my 2015 RT. He did make a set of adapters for me for the front wheels. I have had those for at least three or four years. Contact the company directly and ask for the adapters for the front wheels on the Spyder. I also had to purchase a longer shaft from Marc Parnes to be able to balance the rear wheel.
    MPAdapters.jpg
    Thanks! I emailed Marc and he does have cones that fit the fronts. I ordered the $50 'COMBI' cones from his Spare Parts page.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I have a Marc Parnes balancer with cones that work for the rear wheel but the center hub on the fronts is too small & narrow for any cones available from MP. I also tried an auto shop dynamic balancer but the same issue - hub diameter too small for their cones.

Harbor Freight has a bubble balancer but it appears to be very inaccurate per reviews.

I'm using beads for now but would prefer using weights. What else is out there for doing the fronts?
    Without question.... the best way to balance a tire/wheel is on the vehicle, using a Stewart Warner/Alamite type
    Dynamic balancer.
    Used one for years on cars, trucks,& motorcycles. You will have to find some one who knows how to do it because
    all the newer stuff out there is off the car/bike type. by doing it on the vehicle you are balancing the tire, wheel brakes
    everything that rotates as a unit.... I did a zillion of them on Choppers with extended front forks in our shop
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not to completely disagree, but when you pull the rear wheel on a Spyder, and most motorcycles wheels in general, everything that rotates
    comes off with the wheel. So when you balance the wheel you are balancing everything that rotates. The front wheels are like car tires in
    that rotors don't come off with the wheels.

Just curious why would extended forks be treated any differently than any other motorcycle front wheel?

I agree that balancing wheels in situ on vehicles other than motorcycles is the best idea.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi If you have never ridden a chopper with LONG forks they dance around and vibrate alot
    even the slightest amount of out of round can pound and bounce up and down a bunch.
    I used to use a runout gauge to get everything as round as possible and then balance the assembly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden a bike with extended front forks, a '71 Bonneville in fact. But the front wheel is a unit, so
    balancing it off the bike will work too. Making sure the wheel is not out of round, or axially off is a very
    good idea. Not such a big deal anymore with the advent of cast wheels. Another one of those ideas that
    look very cool, but are actually pretty stupid.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    MPAdapters.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I also use the Marc Parnes unit on all three wheels. I contacted Marc directly and he supplied everything needed. I had an older set so he had me send him the cones I had and he modified them to work with the longer shaft that was needed for the rear wheel.
    Can anyone tell me how long of a shaft is needed for the rear wheel? Marc's standard for the Spyder's is a 14" shaft.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Never mind, Marc found his notes and the shaft length is 16" for the Spyder's rear wheel.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue