Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thank you very much! Blue Knights...If it is the same club as in Chicago, I 'm retired from CPD and then another agency in Florida.

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much! Yes. I have test ridden a Spyder in the past (long time) but not recently and never two up. That is on the schedule for this week.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    I am not a Motordriver, I went straight on the spyder f3s, and just love it, i put on luggagepack, big windscreen, I own it since june, and I drove 6800 Kms with it. As for driving goes it's a blast, but coming from two wheels it is a major difference ( I think )
    A spyder does not lean in corners, but you can drive the hell out of it, also for cruising it's quite OK, furthermore it's an easy machine to work on, also lot's of things you can modify.
    I welded a complete exhaust, with an acropovic endpipe, no catalitic converter, also tuned it, the 1330 is more capable at lower revs, the torque went up by a whopping 30 newton, also it runs quicker to the redline (Factory BRP, is downtuning the engine)
    I wrapped the fenders, wrapped the panels left and right, they scratch easily.

Your length should not be a problem, on a RT you more in the bike, f3 more on the bike, excuse my bad english, am from the netherlands, need more info, just give a shout.
    Very much appreciated! Your English is just fine. Sounds like a lot of effort you put into the bike!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have been and am still a very happy two wheel owner. Have had many over the years beginning in 1966. Had everything from 80cc one lunger to 2000cc V-twin, and some big touring bikes in between. I am still driving a Vulcan and will have almost 10K miles on that this year.

Bought my first Spyder in 08. I got the first one sold to a customer in Alaska. Bought it sight unseen and no test drive. I loved it and have not looked back since. I am now on Spyder number six and soon to be number seven. I have over 170,000 combined Spyder miles.

As with all products there have been ups and downs. At this point in time, I believe BRP has most of the issues solved. The current 1330 platform is very good. It is in both the RT and F3 models. The basic difference is that RT is similar to a gold wing in ride, and F3 is a very nice cruiser. You owe it to yourself to try both out. I was a dyed in the wool RT person until I started riding the F3. I was won over very quickly. Let us know what you decide.
    Thank you very much. Yes. We will ride them all. I have this 500 mile route we like to go watch the Gators play. Storage does come into play.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Ar traveler is so right, test drove em both, the f3 and certainly the " s" is, much more fun, as to an rt.
    bit like an rt being an old cadillac, and a f3, more like a hotrod.
    But both machines have their own charms, I find the f3 more suitable for my needs.
    Thanks for the input! I don't need speed really. I did get my VFR up to 100+ MPH on a closed road about 4 months ago just because I got a hair up my hindside, but I usually cruise at 75 to 80. As long as it gets up to that, I am good to go! I am interested in learning more about the higher revving engines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I moved from an Indian Scout to a 2020RT two months ago. I've driven the RT 4200 miles since then, so the transition is fresh in my mind. My riding background is more of touring/commuting rider and the 'cruiser' image of the Scout isn't indicative of how I ride. Shaft drives and Windjammers are a more accurate picture.

Let me first say I'm not going back to 2 wheels. The Spyder is a unique experience and a test ride can be misleading if you expect it to be a variation on the motorcycle theme. Because of the irregularities of the roads around here, the Spyder moves around the roll axis quite a bit. That's motion you don't experience on a motorcycle, and it can be disconcerting at first. I related roll motion (leaning) to turning and it seemed at first like the Spyder was constantly trying to dart off in a new direction, while it actually goes quite straight. Since you aren't aligning the vertical axis of you body with the center of gravity while cornering, you have to hold yourself against the centrifugal (inertia really) cornering force with your arms and legs, so it can be more fatiguing in the twisties. Tar snakes, gravel, oil spots -- things that would get your immediate attention on the bike soon fade into the background. That and the bigger visual picture you present to motorists makes it feel safer, and in some respects you are.

Once I accepted that it was a different type of vehicle that I needed to understand, riding became more enjoyable. Now it's quite fun and I prefer the Spyder. One adjustment I didn't anticipate is the whole lane position thing. I was very conditioned to ride in the left wheel track most of the time. It took effort to stay in the middle of the lane and I would catch myself with the left wheel on the line, while riding in the track. The wind protection on the RT is at least as good as a Windjammer with lowers and has extended the temperature range for riding. It is not a rocket ship, but has adequate power for touring. To me, it performs like a good 500cc motorcycle.

I'm 5'5" and am at the bottom of the fit profile for the RT. Your sizes should be a great fit. Working on your own machine is a big plus with a Spyder. Dealers are expensive, and scheduling maintenance can be a real pain and leave you without your Spyder when you want it most. Be prepared for ramps, jacks, and a few special tools.

These are my opinions and observations, YMMV.
    Very helpful and informative. I really appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    I’m 6’3 and my wife is 5’11... I’ve owned 4 Spyders and to be honest none of them have been an issue let room or comfort wise but my 2020 RTL is by far the best fit especially my wife, she absolutely loves the space she has on the back. I’ve owned a 2017 F3S, 2018 F3T and F3L... By far the worst out of all of these was the 2018 F3L because it was so damn sluggish, not sure what’s different with my 2020 RTL but it blows the F3L away with pick up and over all ride. Out of these 4 thats the only one where I had some buyers remorse. Good luck...
    That is a great looking machine you have in your profile pic. Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad to hear that our ergos are similar and no problems!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    I’ve been riding a Harley since 1956 and I love them all. But now that I’m 74 and have a leg that is more titanium than bone, I have a hard time holding up the two wheelers. I thought about a Harley trike, but they’re too expensive and they push more through the corners than my spider RT does. I am totally satisfied with mine and I plan on keeping it for a while.

Sorry to hear about the titanium parts added to the legs. Appreciate the insight. Honda keeps on saying the Neowing is coming, but it never does. If it was out I'd probably be leaning toward that platform as I love Honda MC.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It will get easier with more driving experience ..... a lot of folks compare the Spyders to Motorcycles .... Well their NOT .... they are harder to maneuver than your car, but there is a good reason for that ..... if the Spyders had that amount of steering boost - they would be un-controllable above 35 mph. I have a Shelby Cobra with a MANUAL steering rack and 255/50 - 17 sticky tires ... I only notice the steering when backing out of the garage because about 1200lbs is carried by my front tires ...... enjoy it for what it is .... not what it isn't ..... Mike
    Well in my mind's eye I love your car more than your trike! I've been approved by the family CFO for a Vette or a Mustang. Had to build a damn pool to get that concession. Leaning Mustang but a year or two down the road.

Thanks for the response! LEO? Retired from Chicago PD here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    That is the money line...
    Oh absolutely. Agreed. I guess it did sound like I was suggesting MC riding and CanAm riding would be a one-for-one exchange. You know, the one thing I really find interesting is that the CanAm riders I've come across seem to be a better fit for me socially too, if that makes sense. Enjoy the experience, not know it alls, conservative approach to riding and touring, part of thier life not necessarily a lifestyle, etc. All of that is very appealing to me. Just normal friendly guys and girls with a common hobby.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Just repeating what's been said, IT AIN'T A MOTORCYCLE!
    I'm new to 3-wheels too. I came off a 1200cc sport tourer that did both very well. I ride spirited + but not a peg-scraper. The Spyder is lots of fun - like driving a racing go-kart. But it doesn't do anything like a motorcycle except put you in the wind. I have the 2020 RT (elec screen, radio, long floorboard sold me over F3). If you ride spirited, you will soon be buying a sway bar & auto tires. Maybe a set of shocks too. It's the only way these weebles can corner almost enough to keep your 2-wheeled pals in view in the twisties!
    Suspension and conspicuity lights are the first things I upgrade on my bikes. I bet that will be the same for a CanAm. I'm kind of a prima donna when it comes to suspension and handling...part of my interest in the tech side of riding. Traxxion Dynamics and Hyperpro are what I am using right now. Tunability is a plus for me. I really enjoy the entire process from research to execution of the upgrade project. I'd ask forinput on the suspension...just because i am curious...but that is premature right now. Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    Second the motion on the DCT. I had a CTX700, which I absolutely loved, mainly because of the DCT. Had to give it up due to arthritis and leg strength problems. My brother has it now and also loves the DCT. I really resent the fact that my body has forced me to give up two wheels. Riding the the Spyder is a lot more physical work than two wheels. On two wheels, a slight push and lean to establish the bank, then a slight push on exit gets you around pretty much any turn. On the Spyder, you need to apply substantial pressure on the handlebars all the way through the turn. The higher the speed, the more pressure required. Also, unlike two wheels which wants to go straight, the Spyder tends to wander and requires pretty much constant correction. That becomes 2nd nature after awhile, but still requires physical effort. The Spyder will never give the free and easy experience I had with two wheels, but it won't fall over when I go into a gas station and is way better than not riding at all.
    DCT is incredible. Not sure if you heard, but they are upgrading it again for 2021. If I am understanding it correctly, they now have a rider programmed mode. So, the DCT will know not to go down or up a gear too early or too late based on your riding preferences when in that mode. Uncertain if that is going to be a USA launch this year but absolutely in Europe.

Thanks for the advice on the effort it takes to properly control the machine. Very helpful in the decision-making process.

Spyder Garage

I never test drove the RT. I immediately bought a 16 F3-T and do not regret it. I prefer a more sporty look and I love the looks of it. I will never own an RT because they remind me of my mother's station wagon back in the day. (no offense RT riders).

The F3 just plain looks and rides great. it is my baby.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetrees View Post
    MZ,
    Welcome, I'm new as well.
    I'm 64 and made the transition in September. I love it and I'm on the path to far exceeding my average two wheeled milage.
    Glad to hear that and thank you for the welcome! What do you attribute the increased riding on the Can Am vs. a two wheel MC to? Is it that you enjoy it more than two wheels?

Quick aside...what about rain? How is the protection on the CanAm?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    When I threw away the Kenda plastic tires and installed the Q-5 tires, the ride became softer and far less (none yet) slippage in corners. I have the Bajaron bar and the combo of tires & bar has made for a much smoother and controllable ride. I tried 18 psi but that was too soft - felt mushy. 20 psi is working very well for me.
    Thank you. If I make the change, I'd be very interested in learning more about tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I never test drove the RT. I immediately bought a 16 F3-T and do not regret it. I prefer a more sporty look and I love the looks of it. I will never own an RT because they remind me of my mother's station wagon back in the day. (no offense RT riders).

The F3 just plain looks and rides great. it is my baby.
    I think I was leaning more toward the Cadillac XT5 (Which I own) than the Buick Roadmaster (which my parents owned) from the 80s! Kidding aside, that is all part of it. Unless it is a pure track or dirt bike, looks play into the equation.

Spyder Garage

75/ 80, The machine will do that the whole day, and twice on sunday, Only thing, you need to go to a learning curve, before you make significant changes to the Can Am, Out of the box, it's a tremendous machine, some here on the forum may differ this opinion.
    It's certainly a customizable machine, with plenty of suppliers/ aftermarket parts, who are willing to help.
    I am on many forums active, but the atmosphere here, is surely good. Start riding one of em, you cannot go wrong...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mzflorida View Post
    Glad to hear that and thank you for the welcome! What do you attribute the increased riding on the Can Am vs. a two wheel MC to? Is it that you enjoy it more than two wheels?

Quick aside...what about rain? How is the protection on the CanAm?
    If I could offer my opinion here,I ride my RT much more than I rode my other bikes in my life bc Ive simply got more time now(semi retired).As far as rain,with the wide front and the electric windshield I feel they handle rain better than any bike Ive owned,but your passenger may want to wear a hooded rainsuit so that water blowing forward onto her back will not go down her neck.A mud flap helps with this as well.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I moved to the Can-Am's starting back in 09 because of balance issues .... even if I could handle a Wing now I wouldn't go back ....I have the semi=auto trans RT, and wouldn't go back to manual - EVER ...... I tried a HD and Wing trikes first and they su*ked badly .... the Spyders handle as well as Auto's do ( I also have a Shelby Cobra ) ..... If possible go test ride some first .... just drive it like a CAR and you will love it ..... Mike
    And we're damn near Clones of each other... I've been riding since 1972. I've owned a lot of different motorcycles but more Harley's (still own 2.5). My knees are about shot at 64 11/12's years old. My GF started looking at H-D Trikes early in the Summer and I told her, "Look my 2018 M8 Runs HOT As HELL and a New H-D Trike is Going To Run HOTTER and I think they look like a Wheel Chair for old Harley Riders". I started looking at Trikes and liked the Spyder but I knew she would Not Be Happy If I Bought an F3 (no Radio, stripped). I found a 2016 RTs made the Deal and then told her. Her reply was "Noooooo, Call Them And Tell Them You Changed Your Mind"! I said "Can't Do That. I Gave Them A $500.00 Deposit and We'll Pick It Up Tomorrow". At this point She can Tell You Why She Likes The Sypder Better than the H-D. We've put close to 3,000 miles on the Spyder this year (about 300 on the 2018 StreetGlide) and 3,000 on my Shelby. The Semi-Auto Transmission is great, it RIDES better than any motorcycle I've ever owned. No Regrets!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FastOldGuy View Post
    And we're damn near Clones of each other... I've been riding since 1972. I've owned a lot of different motorcycles but more Harley's (still own 2.5). My knees are about shot at 64 11/12's years old. My GF started looking at H-D Trikes early in the Summer and I told her, "Look my 2018 M8 Runs HOT As HELL and a New H-D Trike is Going To Run HOTTER and I think they look like a Wheel Chair for old Harley Riders". I started looking at Trikes and liked the Spyder but I knew she would Not Be Happy If I Bought an F3 (no Radio, stripped). I found a 2016 RTs made the Deal and then told her. Her reply was "Noooooo, Call Them And Tell Them You Changed Your Mind"! I said "Can't Do That. I Gave Them A $500.00 Deposit and We'll Pick It Up Tomorrow". At this point She can Tell You Why She Likes The Sypder Better than the H-D. We've put close to 3,000 miles on the Spyder this year (about 300 on the 2018 StreetGlide) and 3,000 on my Shelby. The Semi-Auto Transmission is great, it RIDES better than any motorcycle I've ever owned. No Regrets!
    .... good for ( both ) ..... your Cobra looks like an FFR, ( like mine, I have pics in my Album page titled Porsche 917 ) ..... your's looks sweeeeeeeeet ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would like to add that I test rode a 2020RT and it scared me to death it was so hard to control: It felt like a 1960s car with 300K miles on it. I went to another dealership and rode another one that was an altogether different and pleasant riding experience. Not sure what the issue(s) were with that first bike but I couldn't believe BRP could sell a single bike like that. I now have a 2020RT and have no regrets moving from 2 wheels to 3. For me the benefits greatly outweigh any negatives. Unless you are a knee dragger, lane splitter or just need the sheer acceleration of a highly powered motorcycle, I personally don't see any dramatic benefits (of a 2 wheeler) - my opinion of course.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    I would like to add that I test rode a 2020RT and it scared me to death it was so hard to control: It felt like a 1960s car with 300K miles on it. I went to another dealership and rode another one that was an altogether different and pleasant riding experience. Not sure what the issue(s) were with that first bike but I couldn't believe BRP could sell a single bike like that. I now have a 2020RT and have no regrets moving from 2 wheels to 3. For me the benefits greatly outweigh any negatives. Unless you are a knee dragger, lane splitter or just need the sheer acceleration of a highly powered motorcycle, I personally don't see any dramatic benefits (of a 2 wheeler) - my opinion of course.
    It's often been said, that if you have to explain it to someone, they'll never get it.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Un-fortunately almost ALL new Spyders arn't ALIGNED properly .... most arn't too bad but I've read about some that were soooooooooooooooooo Bad they wore out the front tires in 750 + miles ..... could be you found one of those at that dealership ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. Going for a test ride this weekend or next. I'll post after the ride. Safe travels to all! Mike.

Spyder Garage

do a test ride on the various models offered.. like touring vs. non touring etc. after a few miles you will wonder why you didn't change years ago.. I switched to a Spyder 10 years ago and now on my 4th Spyder and love every mile of enjoyment.. good luck
    BIG F