Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

On a day ride with my last bike, a Victory, by mid afternoon, my clutch hand would painfully cramp. When I bought my F3L, getting the electric shift was an easy choice. I'm lovin' it!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Well, it may be back on the table. The wife and I went out a couple of weeks ago on our bikes. Short 120 mile trip, Sunday morning trip, 0800, Estero to right around Lake Okeechobee. If you know Florida, that is a relaxed, low traffic back road trip. I am not the exaggerating type. In that short trip we were on the shoulder twice to avoid head ons and had to critically adjust to avoid three more incidents with distracted drivers and a lefty in front of us. No exaggeration, at all...i thought we were going to bite it with one of the two head ons. She's made the decision that she is done on two wheels. She's my favorite riding partner, so I may be too. Don't get me wrong. We understand similar risks exist with three and four wheels. Anyhow...she is done with a capital D and is not the type to tell me what to do (well...you know what I mean...this woman is in a constant state of decorating...so I get told what I am going to do to help her addiction. I call her a serial decorator, death by Sherwin Williams and HomeGoods). I am selling my VFR too (and three others). CanAm is back on the table as is an NC750X, either or , not both. I do not need a touring motorcycle anymore with her out of the game. Anyhow, I may ask a few more questions of you all over the next few weeks. Thinking the whole thing through overall as we are getting back into boating just now (lost our boat to Hurricane Irma and are just now actively searching for a replacement). How i want to spend my time and money kind of thing.

Spyder Garage

I just went from two wheels to a 2021 Spyder RT. I hear what you are saying. My wife doesn't ride but allows me the freedom to do so. I've put 300 miles on my new RT the past week and I do feel more secure inasmuch as if I have to drop a wheel for some reason I still got two on the road. I no longer worry about my foot slipping on gravel at the stop sign or the parking lot. I don't worry as much about seeing gravel in the curve and having a low side. Of course we still observe all the same rules. I spent 30 years in EMS and been through many performance driving schools. I look at each possible infraction by other drivers as just another day of training, it was an incident that makes me better for next time. (Thank you you stupid driver kind of thing). It keeps me from getting angry at them.

As we all know from riding and driving we just sharpen our senses and try to anticipate what other drivers are going to do. Sorry to hear about your close calls, it does take out the joy for the day. Maybe there are more sedate areas to ride. I'm in KS and ride paved country roads and even the low traffic areas of our southern more interstates. Gives me a chance to practice road strategy and focus on what ifs. I could support whatever your decisions you arrive at. It has to be enjoyable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    I spent 30 years in EMS and been through many performance driving schools. I look at each possible infraction by other drivers as just another day of training, it was an incident that makes me better for next time.
    Retired LEO here. Chicago PD.

Good points on the other elements of your response and I agree 100% that riding requires learning, skills development, training, and then skills maintenance. The problem is that we run out of options in certain conditions and are left to suffer the consequences of others' bad decisions. Completely agree with your post and nothing but the best intentions in responding.

Spyder Garage

Always good to hear from a LEO as you've been out there and seen what can go wrong and as you say we can run out of options and pay the price. That's the risk and all we can do is ride fully protected, stay 100% plugged into the road/conditions and leave ourselves room for options whenever possible. Guess I enjoy the focus, kinda like being on the job, but without radio, phones, etc. to distract me. Gotta love those streets and open highways. Ride safe.

Spyder Garage

I have been on 2 wheels for almost 50 years and not ready to give it up. The wife is a different story. She has had 3 small 2 wheelers and she is short from the butt down so both feet down was a problem when she stopped. We got to test ride Spyders a few years ago and she was hooked. We were window shopping last October and the dealer gave us both a 2020 Spyder RT and RTL to go play on. She put money down on the RTL then arranged financing and picked it up on October 10th. She has become a little monster on it and her 4ever smile is worth it. I have a FJR and ZX14 so I am not giving them up BUT when hers is paid off I may step into a used 2020 plus. They are easy to ride and stop and turn and play plus comfy. I love to make fun of Spyders on the different boards but that is only because I kinda maybe almost like them. My only disdain for them is lack of power compared to what I ride. I know they are not made to run with 2 wheelers power wise yet they have more than ample power to land one in jail. I personally prefer the RT because no need for a trunk when there is a frunk.
    The downfall is I worry constantly about her because what has become 2nd nature to me and a way of life she does not yet know. The good part is she has common sense where I may lack a little bit of.

Spyder Garage

Totally with you on the wife making me nervous, but for different reasons. When she was in her 20s (last year if you ask her) she rode sport bikes. We both like the technical side of riding. She is entirely unafraid of hitting that 80 to 85 % of what the bike has to deliver in regard to technical riding. Anyhow, behind her now.