GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender for 2020 RT

I used this battery tender on my 2014 RTS and used the cigarette lighter adapter to plug it in in my rear trunk. The plug in in the trunk on my 2020 RT is USB. Where do I plug in the battery tender on my 2020 RT?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Spyder Garage

Same question...
    2021 S2S , Green

Spyder Garage

Connect the pigtail shown in the photo directly to the battery, that's what I had to do with my 2018.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree, pigtail directly to battery. FWIW, my BT Jr is plugged into a double receptacle in the garage ceiling and the power cord hangs down into the frunk when it's plugged into the pigtail.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

^^^^^^^^That's how Peggy's Spyder is set up. Works well.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Connect the pigtail shown in the photo directly to the battery, that's what I had to do with my 2018.
    Which part is the pigtail?
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The pigtail is the section of wire with either the clamps, or ring connectors to hook to the battery. It has a coupling
    to connect it to the tender. The tender is plugged into an outlet, so the pigtail can stay attached to the battery and
    can be disconnected from the tender. Good ones have an inline fuse.

In the photo, the far right item and the far left item are both pigtails.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    The pigtail is the section of wire with either the clamps, or ring connectors to hook to the battery. It has a coupling
    to connect it to the tender. The tender is plugged into an outlet, so the pigtail can stay attached to the battery and
    can be disconnected from the tender. Good ones have an inline fuse.

In the photo, the far right item and the far left item are both pigtails.
    Thank you very much for explaining it so clearly for me

Spyder Garage

It looks to me you should invite a friend over, one who knows automotive electrics to connect the pigtail. The electrics in Spyders is very fussy and grievous harm can be done to it if a mistake is made.
    For the cost of a beer or two, you'll save your bike.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Directions

I have the same 'Battery Tender Jr' and received very good directions in the package. Good Luck with your Mission. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    It looks to me you should invite a friend over, one who knows automotive electrics to connect the pigtail. The electrics in Spyders is very fussy and grievous harm can be done to it if a mistake is made.
    For the cost of a beer or two, you'll save your bike.
    I took your advice. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post
    I took your advice. Thank you.
    I'm glad I could help. Too bad you don't live near me, I love a beer right now.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

If you want to attach the permanent pigtail to the battery, the one at the lower left in the picture is the one you will use. Note the marked red and black eyelet terminals, they are connected to the positive and negative terminals, respectively, of the battery and there is an SAE plug on the other end of the pigtail. Simply, remove the bolt on the negative terminal of the battery first. Move the negative (ground) wire and wrap some tape around it so there can be no metal to metal contact with the Spyder. Then remove the the bolt on the positive battery terminal and attach the positive pigtail eyelet to the terminal with the bolt. Some folks also recommend adding a star washer between the bolt head and the two terminal leads. Next, remove the tape from the negative Spyder ground cable and attach the negative pigtail terminal as you did on the positive side. Lastly, plug the battery tender into a 110V receptacle and plug the SAE connector on the power cord to the pigtail; it will only fit one way. An indicator light on the battery tender will come on, probably red. After a few minutes the red light will begin flashing green and finally will show steady green. That's all there is to it. Always remember to unplug the pigtail BEFORE you start the Spyder.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Perfect.

Spyder Garage

My 2020 RTL came with a pre-installed battery tender connector located near the left front shock. I plug my Battery Tender Jr. directly to it, no problem. Not sure if this is just the Limited model, or also on the base RT. Sorry if this has already been posted here.

Spyder Garage

Next time, ride over. I’ll do it. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post
    My 2020 RTL came with a pre-installed battery tender connector located near the left front shock. I plug my Battery Tender Jr. directly to it, no problem. Not sure if this is just the Limited model, or also on the base RT. Sorry if this has already been posted here.
    If the Spyder came with a pre-installed connection, it was from the dealer not BRP, some are known to do that.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

If the Spyder came with a pre-installed connection, it was from the dealer not BRP, some are known to do that.
    Yes, some dealerships, including Honda, Can-Am, Seadoo of Winston-Salem threw mine in complementary, pigtail attached.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

That's interesting. I learned about it on this forum after taking delivery of the bike. Dealer made no mention of it. You would think they would point that out if only to gain some customer good will.

Spyder Garage

On my 18 and again on the 20 I asked the dealer to run the tender connector under the seat.Easy access for tender and doubles to connect heated gear with an adapter.

Spyder Garage

I have 5 or 6 small chargers. I need to connect 1 to my RTs. I'd been considering building a magnetic plug for one of my cars. Connect the charger wires to the magnets (one North and One South) then mount the magnets under the car (it's fiberglass). The magnets make the connection, if you forget to unplug the charger No Problem. It just pops apart. I could do the same under the Frunk and possible kill 2 birds with 1 stone. (My RT will not Trigger the Red Light leaving my house.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japgen View Post
    That's interesting. I learned about it on this forum after taking delivery of the bike. Dealer made no mention of it. You would think they would point that out if only to gain some customer good will.
    The dealer/salesperson you interacted with at the dealer probably has no idea that it's even there in the first place - let alone who installed it; where it's been installed; what it's actually useful for; why it's there at all; or how it even makes any difference!!

But since you DO actually have a connection like that, it suggests there's at least ONE customer service oriented & conscientious Supervisor &/or tech in the Service Department of whatever dealer took your Spyder out of its shipping crate & assembled it?! Consider yourself lucky!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you can get to the fuse to replace it if it Blows. I can run a Gerbings Jacket liner and Gerbings Heated Gloves on mine.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L