Spyder Garage

Default Installed GPS Mount on 2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited Edition

I'm new so forgive any errors. In Feb 2020, I bought a used 2012 Spyder RT. A GPS mount was already on it so I contacted BRP and asked which GPS went with this bike. I was told Garmin Zumo 590 therefore purchased a used one on Ebay. Once it arrived, it was clear it does not fit the GPS mount on my bike. Im hoping someone may know which GPS fits this mount so I can but it. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Garmin 660
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Are you saying a Garmin 660 would fit the mount I have? If so. Thank you for this info! Sorry, im new to this site and am fumbling my way around...

Spyder Garage

The Garmin Zumo 660/665 and also the BMW Navigator IV, V and VI will fit your mount.

Spyder Garage

Up until some time after 2013, the BRP installed GPS mount was specifically for the Garmin 660.

That said, BRP did take steps to stop people from buying a 660 elsewhere/cheaper, and then readily fitting it onto their 'Spyder unique' mount..... I'm not positive if it's in the actual 'Spyder' side of the wiring, or if it's something they convinced Garmin to do actually in the GPS units themselves that they supplied to BRP in order to make them incompatible with Garmin's 'normal' mounts & wiring harnesses, but I think that they've done something odd in the wiring harness &/or BRP supplied Garmin 660's - something to do with how they get powered via the dock plate on top of that mounting bracket.... IIRC, it's something to do with the pins in the base for power/charging being swapped, but it was a while ago & my 'thorough cursory glance' thru GPS Wiring here didn't give me any better clues.... but it is here somewhere if you search for it!

Still'n all, if you've got an BRP/OE spec GPS mount on an RT/ST Ltd that's 2013 or earlier, it's for a Garmin 660, and NOT the Garmin 590 - I don't think they 'upgraded' to them until maybe mid 2015?! However, now that you actually HAVE a 590, I reckon you might find it cheaper & easier to buy just the base/dock plate that the 590 clips into, and remove the 660 base/dock plate that's there, wire up the 590 version, & install it instead.... unless you really want to run a 660 or upgrade to something else, anyway!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garmin 660
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 590 is an upgrade from the 660 and like Peter said you may want to change the wires and mount plate to match the 590, it would be an up grade from the 660.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

660 not bad unit ( discontinued )& does pop up 4 sale here every now & then. Usually from someone upgrading to 590 or something, best check with Garmin about (LM) lifetime maps if is per the unit or account maybe a comparison list between 660&590 find what you like better.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for this Info! BRP Rep made the mistake by telling me it takes a 590 but since 660 is discontinued, and the 590 is better, I guess it was the "right" answer... I'll keep the 590 and find a dealership (at some point) to do the change over for my unit. I'm new to all of this and not that mechanically inclined to do it myself. BTW, My 590 came with the mount in box and it is Lifetime Maps. Thank you all again! I'm sure I will be posting other questions soon. So much I dont know about bike and am curious about...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White