Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Different riding styles demand different equipment. If you are a 'normal' rider, the Kendas and OEM sway bar may be fine for you. If you are a 'spirited' rider, you will quickly identify areas needing upgrades as you push the limits of your machine.
    And this is where I am at this point. I'm (we're) not spirited ryders, but ryding 2 up (we're not overweight, but let's just say we don't skinny dip anymore, we chunky dunk) the front Kenda's don't seem to grip as much as I'd like within my "safe zone". Hence the reason I was researching replacements which lead to my curiosity on the original question.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

John, in your original post you state:

"I was always under the impression that for best handling and stability use the same tyre/tread pattern front to rear"

yet this is not true even for the OEM Kendas that come with a Spyder. The brand is the same, but the tread pattern between front and rear is certainly not. It's only the front tires that are equivalents, for reasons that Peter Aawen has explained in depth, along with others. The OEM Kenda rear tread pattern is nowhere near the front. So, should brand difference matter? I think not.

I'm one of those who really can't complain too much about the service life of my original Kendas. Once in a while, I had the odd handling concern, but not enough to prevent me continuing. I've now gone 31,000 km on them (about 20K miles). The rear is in need of replacement; the fronts have enough 'meat' on them to likely go another 10K km or so. I have heard of one rider who got 60K km out of his. Even so, I'm swapping over to Mike's recommended Vredesteins for my front, and a Kumho on the rear. I likely would have gone to Quatrac 5's all the way around, but couldn't find a rear of that brand to fit. As well, I like the looks of the Kumho Ecsta rear tread pattern. I've checked the reviews of others who have tried the same mix and match solution and been impressed by the handling improvements.

Good luck in your search. Availability of supply may be your biggest obstacle. Searching for a supplier who had 'in stock' availability actually took longer for me than delivery, which turned out to be very quick. With winter upon us here, I'm saving the mounting until spring, and looking forward through the winter to a 'new beginning' when the snows melt.

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    John, in your original post you state:

"I was always under the impression that for best handling and stability use the same tyre/tread pattern front to rear"

yet this is not true even for the OEM Kendas that come with a Spyder. The brand is the same, but the tread pattern between front and rear is certainly not. It's only the front tires that are equivalents, for reasons that Peter Aawen has explained in depth, along with others. The OEM Kenda rear tread pattern is nowhere near the front. So, should brand difference matter? I think not.

I'm one of those who really can't complain too much about the service life of my original Kendas. Once in a while, I had the odd handling concern, but not enough to prevent me continuing. I've now gone 31,000 km on them (about 20K miles). The rear is in need of replacement; the fronts have enough 'meat' on them to likely go another 10K km or so. I have heard of one rider who got 60K km out of his. Even so, I'm swapping over to Mike's recommended Vredesteins for my front, and a Kumho on the rear. I likely would have gone to Quatrac 5's all the way around, but couldn't find a rear of that brand to fit. As well, I like the looks of the Kumho Ecsta rear tread pattern. I've checked the reviews of others who have tried the same mix and match solution and been impressed by the handling improvements.

Good luck in your search. Availability of supply may be your biggest obstacle. Searching for a supplier who had 'in stock' availability actually took longer for me than delivery, which turned out to be very quick. With winter upon us here, I'm saving the mounting until spring, and looking forward through the winter to a 'new beginning' when the snows melt.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the compliment ..... Just let me say the Q-5's do come in 205/60 and 205/65 -15's that will work great on your Spyder ( many others here are using them ) .... I'm mostly about safety, and the Q-5's have excellent WET traction ( as well as Dry )... The 205 width is a slightly narrower tire, and should have LESS of a tendency to " aquaplane ". ..... PS I like 17 F & 18 R psi.....Mike

Spyder Garage

My 990 2012 Spyder (and the 2008 before that) handles best with just 13 psi in the front and 22 psi in rear. I put 22 psi in the front by mistake once and had a horror trip for a few miles. Front wheels bounced and when I hit the brakes, the ABS came in. Too much in the back and the centre of the tyre wears prematurely.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp