Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Swaybar questions

I'm thinking about adding a BajaRon sway bar to my 2021 RT (base, if it matters) and have a few questions.

1) How long should it take to swap out sway bars assuming a qualified tech in a standard shop that normally works on Can Ams with the normal lift, shop tools, etc.

2) What's the stock/OEM sway bar worth, if anything? I ask because there isn't a shop in my town. The nearest shop is 1/2 hour away and the one I've been going to is an hour away. The only way I can get the new sway bar to the shop (and the old back to the house) is to strap it to the back of the bike (on the passenger grab rails). If the OEM sway bar is worthless, I'd leave it at the shop.

3) Are there any qualified backyard mechanics within 50-75 miles of Wilkesboro, NC who have already swapped out the sway bar on their own 2020+ RT? Not really looking for someone who says they've been working on cars, bikes, etc for years and can "figure it out". (Already had someone tell me that.)

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

An hour away is nothing ( that 60-80-miles?) if they do good service I’d go there. Your looking at about 2-2.5 hours of service at a shop they will charge at a BRP dealer. Rally changes will be faster and cheaper in my opinion. Wait till spring and got a rally and have it done. I’d definitely keep it. You never know what might happen in the future. Better to have one on hand incase. You probably won’t be able to sell it unless it is really underpriced. Not a heavily damaged/ repaired part. I’d simply put it over your back seat with a bungie on both sides to your hand grips. Wrap it in a towel to make it a bit more bulky and clean for you back seat.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

For reference, I changed my 2020RT swaybar in less than 1 hour in my garage. I'm not a mechanic by trade and never worked on a spyder before now. I had to jury-rig my 'lift system' to get the height needed. If a dealer charges 2 hours and has a capable lift he is a thief! The OEM bar's only value is if you sell your RT and want to remove the Bajaron before sale for re-use or sale.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't say for sure about the BajaRon anti-sway bar, but the stock one fits in Peggy's 2013 STS-SM5 frunk with no problem.
    I just checked.

I'd have to agree about two hours being too long. I did mine on the floor, with a jury-rigged lifting setup, and it didn't take me
    much more than that. There's only 6 bolts to replace the bar. Make sure you get the ends too.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

As already noted, a good mechanic should have a lift and getting it up (2 feet for mine) is most of the battle for us shade tree mechanics. Since a mechanic will likely have a lift, one hour should be plenty on a '20-'21.

I think earlier RTs take longer due to the tupperware that has to be removed. There is a youtube video that "Pierre" did that shows what is involved with earlier RTs. Your mechanic may not know how much simpler the '20-'21s are (only 3 small plastic pieces and they are on the bottom).

The addition of the swaybar on my 2020 was a dramatic improvement.

Spyder Garage

I agree with the 2 hours to long. I did mine in about and hour too. I was quoted 2 hours charge from my local dealer and heard that is not uncommon as in their charges. Mine was a 17 RT limited. I used a lift and straps from an engine lift and it worked perfect. It’s not a hard job just quoted what a BRP dealer told me and have heard from others as in charge. $160-$180 labor charge.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Two local dealers quoted me $125 for install on my F3. Not sure if a RT is more labor extensive?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the local dealers says it's a 3 hour job. The other hasn't gotten back to me with a quote. I've told both of them it's a 2021 and there are only 3 panels to remove (although that's about all I know about it......I was trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about). I'm not sure I want to pay $300 in labor if it really would only take them 30-60 minutes which is why I asked question 3.

Whenever I sell/trade this one, I won't swap out sway bars again (back to the OEM). If I can't sell the OEM sway bar, it can go in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I'm keeping my OEM handle bars so when/if I sell/trade, I can keep the Helibars but that's a different story.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JMO, but if the dealer doesn't know that the job will take much less than 3 hours, I wouldn't want him working on my vehicle.
    And if he does know, then I really wouldn't want the unscrupulous so-and-so working on my vehicle.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

My sister and BIL live in Wilksboro, NC. They have an F3. Schronce Powersports is located there, but I assume you know that. My BIL seems to be reasonably pleased with them. And they are familiar with my bar kits. The 2020/2021 RT are among the easiest install of all models. If they know what they are doing they can get it done in 1 hour, easily. Typically, a decent dealership will charge between 1hr & 1.5hr shop rate for the install. If they charge much more than that it means they either don't know what they are doing or they don't want to do the work at all (or both).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did the one on my 2016 F3T in about an hour or so. As for getting it up high enough, I just pulled my trailer onto a set of car ramps. Then I put a set of 6' ramps onto the trailer and pulled the spyder onto it. I strapped the spyder so that it would not move. That put the front up high enough. I think $300 labor is way too much. If you were closer, I would say come over and we can give it a try. My fee would be a good meal and that should about do it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My sister and BIL live in Wilksboro, NC. They have an F3. Schronce Powersports is located there, but I assume you know that. My BIL seems to be reasonably pleased with them. And they are familiar with my bar kits. The 2020/2021 RT are among the easiest install of all models. If they know what they are doing they can get it done in 1 hour, easily. Typically, a decent dealership will charge between 1hr & 1.5hr shop rate for the install. If they charge much more than that it means they either don't know what they are doing or they don't want to do the work at all (or both).
    A reply from the MAN, himself! Schronce is in Taylorsville, about 30 min away (although a fun ride to get there). I bought my last RT from them. If they took trades and had what I wanted, I would have purchased this one from them, too. I've called their service dept for an up to date quote but can't reach them. I'll keep trying.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I did the one on my 2016 F3T in about an hour or so. As for getting it up high enough, I just pulled my trailer onto a set of car ramps. Then I put a set of 6' ramps onto the trailer and pulled the spyder onto it. I strapped the spyder so that it would not move. That put the front up high enough. I think $300 labor is way too much. If you were closer, I would say come over and we can give it a try. My fee would be a good meal and that should about do it.
    2.5 hours isn't bad but if I can find someone closer, I will. If not, I might just take you up on the offer.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    2.5 hours isn't bad but if I can find someone closer, I will. If not, I might just take you up on the offer.
    Not a problem, just shoot me a PM and we can work it in.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I might do that. I just talked to Schronce who quoted me 2 hours/$200 to replace the sway bar. I don't need one that badly.

Spyder Garage

I might do that. I just talked to Schronce who quoted me 2 hours/$200 to replace the sway bar. I don't need one that badly.
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I've found that BRP pretty much caught up to BajaRon with the 2020 design. I had my sway bar upgraded, but haven't found a very great difference in the way the Spyder handles, either one, or two up.

Am I getting repetitive ? I am, after all, the head of the head of the redundancy department.

In my opinion, I'd spend the money on lighting upgrades, and maybe an air horn.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I've found that BRP pretty much caught up to BajaRon with the 2020 design. I had my sway bar upgraded, but haven't found a very great difference in the way the Spyder handles, either one, or two up.

Am I getting repetitive ? I am, after all, the head of the head of the redundancy department.

In my opinion, I'd spend the money on lighting upgrades, and maybe an air horn.
    Your personal experience is your own and I would never dispute that. But I can tell you that the sway bar on the 2020 and 2021 RT is identical to the one installed on the 2013 RT. And the plastic end links are exactly the same as the ones installed on the 2008 models. If there have been any improvements, it has not been to the sway bar system.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Your personal experience is your own and I would never dispute that. But I can tell you that the sway bar on the 2020 and 2021 RT is identical to the one installed on the 2013 RT. And the plastic end links are exactly the same as the ones installed on the 2008 models. If there have been any improvements, it has not been to the sway bar system.
    Yes, I clearly stated that it is my opinion.
    I would LOVE to have some objective data.
    Maybe the improvement is in the springs ?
    Admittedly, my highly calibrated seat of the pants leaves a lot to be desired.
    I'm wondering if some kind of accelerometer could be fitted to a Spyder that might be able to measure the body roll, before and after ?
    You're note on the crappy plastic links is right on. I've always suggested replacing them with your metal links.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

try downloading an accellorometer or g force app that does x/y/z axis to your phone and record before and after.

Spyder Garage

Hi guys,

Im in the midst of installing the BaJa Ron bar on my 2019 RT limited. Using ramps, straps and jack supports so no issues getting up high enough. However, i see no channel stiffener bolts and spacers in the channel. It does have the holes for them. The paint where they go is not disturbed at all on either side of the channel, meaning no bolts have been in there. Whats the likely hood never installed by BRP from factory? Any one heard of this before?
    I went to the local Can Am dealer and they could not locate the correct parts diagram for the channel with the stiffener bolts and spacer, so I could not order them.

Any body have part numbers? I " think " they are M6 1.0 tpi x 50 mm long. Spacer would be 35 wide to fit in the channel.
    If i cant source them i'll end up getting the parts from McMaster Carr or Grainger or Threads of the South, preferably in stainless steel

Thanks Milburn
    Last edited by WRCLVR; 01-22-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Hi guys,

Im in the midst of installing the BaJa Ron bar on my 2019 RT limited. Using ramps, straps and jack supports so no issues getting up high enough. However, i see no channel stiffener bolts and spacers in the channel. It does have the holes for them. The paint where they go is not disturbed at all on either side of the channel, meaning no bolts have been in there. Whats the likely hood never installed by BRP from factory? Any one heard of this before?
    I went to the local Can Am dealer and they could not locate the correct parts diagram for the channel with the stiffener bolts and spacer, so I could not order them.

Any body have part numbers? I " think " they are M6 1.0 tpi x 50 mm long. Spacer would be 35 wide to fit in the channel.
    If i cant source them i'll end up getting the parts from McMaster Carr or Grainger or Threads of the South, preferably in stainless steel

Thanks Milburn
    I am surprised they could not find these stiffener bolts. However, I am puzzled by the dimension given. They should be longer. I wonder if this is an error in the parts fiche.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-22-2023 at 03:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

I found a huge difference going with the BajaRon (anti) sway bar. I am running the older one piece design and cannot imagine going back.
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 02-01-2023 at 02:41 PM.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

One of the local dealers says it's a 3 hour job. The other hasn't gotten back to me with a quote. I've told both of them it's a 2021 and there are only 3 panels to remove (although that's about all I know about it......I was trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about). I'm not sure I want to pay $300 in labor if it really would only take them 30-60 minutes which is why I asked question 3.

Whenever I sell/trade this one, I won't swap out sway bars again (back to the OEM). If I can't sell the OEM sway bar, it can go in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I'm keeping my OEM handle bars so when/if I sell/trade, I can keep the Helibars but that's a different story.
    Lamonster posted an install video on a F3. Took about 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szvNQU84fzs
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Did an Ultra Bar on a 2021 RT in about 45 minutes. Thinking my next one could be 15 or 20. Hard to believe what some shops are charging. I'm thinking the hardest thing for some owners is getting it up in the air. I'm lucky and have a 4 post Bend-Pac. After figuring out a support for the rear tire, getting it up in the air now is a couple of minutes.
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

I know we are about 3 hours from Wilkesboro, NC because I ride to my mom's house in Moravian Falls quite often. But it's a beautiful ride, and the install is $80.00 here while you wait. If we can help, let us know. You just need an appointment. 423-609-7588. And you'll really be able to tell the difference on the return trip!