Spyder Garage

Default How easy to use are the SM foot pedal shifters?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not (really) trying to confuse anyone too much.... but actually, the SM6 is the manual trans with a MANUAL Clutch and shift selection; while the SE6 is the SAME manual trans, only it has an oil/hydraulic clutch with electronic shifting actuated via the flappy finger paddles!

The SM & SE gearboxes themselves are essentially the same, it's only the CLUTCH & SHIFT actuation methods that are different! The SE's are NOT an auto transmission by any stretch of the imagination, even if they do have a computer controlled 'fail-safe' downshift that won't let you damage things too much!!
    ####hey Peter!, how hard/easy are the manual transmission RT’s to shift, assuming they have a shift lever you actuate with your left foot? I ask because, I got a robotic left knee February 2018 and my recovery therapy didn’t go well at all. In fact that was the main reason I purchased the 2020 Ryker Rally I bought in March if this year, as they have the CVT transmission, which eliminated shifting

That said, all along I’ve wanted a Spyder but bought the Ryker on a whim. No regrets actually yet I still long for an RT and am highly interested in buying a 2014 RT. Again, I just don’t have the range of motion using my left knee to shift a conventional motorcycle, but what about the SM Spyder? In your opinion is it easier to shift for someone in my situation?

Granted, I could try to get a test ride on an SM RT Spyder but until that time, what’s your opinion, is the foot shifter far enough forward for someone in my situation or, are you going to tell me these shift with a hand paddle shifter? I’ve never looked into the Spyders in recent history. That said, I have ridden RT’s at several Fla. CanAm dealers before I had the knee replacement, and at that time, shifting with my left foot wasn’t an issue. Plus it’s been quite a few years ago when I did those test rides so how they shifted, or how the operator change gears, I don’t recall
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah Shakin_jake, if you don't have the range of motion in your left knee/ankle to shift the gears via the foot lever on a conventional motorcycle, you probably won't have too much joy with a Spyder SM (5 or 6)! The SM's are pretty much the same as conventional motorcycles when it comes to changing gears with your foot, even tho you can get a/mkt 'heel/toe' levers too... So I really don't think any of the SM's would make gear changing any easier for you?!

But that said, seriously, how well does your left hand work?? Specifically your left thumb & forefinger?? If they can each move maybe 1/2 of an inch, then you really shouldn't have too much trouble with one of the SE's!! You don't even need to have the hand strength to pull in the clutch lever (which is pretty important to me, since I've now got some dodgy/compromised knuckles & a prosthetic joint or two in each hand!! ) The SE's really are the same gearbox as the SM's, just with a smarter/quicker clutch & shift mechanism that's been made a helluva lot easier to use; simpler for those without or who haven't yet developed the required or desired hand/foot co-ordination; & easier/quicker to use for those of us who have damaged or missing components!

All it takes is a quick flick of either your left thumb or forefinger to change the gears up or down; and you can ryde & change gears on an SE Spyder EXACTLY the same way you would ryde an SM, except that you don't need to pull the clutch & use your toe (&/or heel) to actually change the gears - you just use your thumb or forefinger!! Quicker, easier, and you've even got a 'thumb-in-bum, mind-in-neutral' back-up down-change for when you get too lazy to do it yourself, you stuff up, or just really want gobs of torque & power right now!! So if you still want to change gears yourself but haven't taken an SE Spyder for a ryde yet, I reckon you'd be doing yourself a great favour by taking an SE Spyder out for a test ryde! Just like these days all the top spec supercars have 'flappy paddles' for the ultimate in gear changing, the SE equipped Spyders have 'flappy paddles for your finger/thumb'!! So why wouldn't you?!?

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, I’ve ridden the RT Spyder with paddle shifters, but it’s been a while. I rode two. The first was at my local Can Am dealer but it was sort 9f a stripper model, had a harsh ride but the 2nd Can Am I rode was actually an F3, I think. It too was an early model whose suspension wasn’t adjustable and frankly, wore me out trying to steer it. I rode that Spyder at a dealer south of JacksonvilleFla. The owner of the dealer tried his best to get me to trade in the 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure I was riding. I have to give him credit. If I had liked that Spyder, he made it very hard to say no but again, it was a beast to steer. Reminded me of the Ural Tourist I bought new in 2003, in that if you’ve never ridden a motorcycle side car rig like the Tourist, you came close riding that Spyder, because you had to muscle it to get it to turn

The third and final (last) Spyder I rode was another test ride at the Ocala Fla. Can Am dealer except Can Am actually set up the ride, not the dealer, and it was a very nice and easy Spyder to pilot. I remember it had air adjustable suspension and I was able to dial in a ride that was easy for me to steer that trike. I remember wanting to put a deal together for it but I couldn’t pony up with the dinero they wanted. IOW there wasn’t any financial tools offered to lower the price but getting back to me being able to ride a Spyder, I can if it has paddle shifting. You pretty much answered my question about riding an SM Spyder using a foot shifter

It’s really a shame I didn’t get good follow up therapy after my total knee replacement as I should be able to get my foot under a shift lever to upshift. Down shifting I can do, it’s up shifting that is difficult for me. I can ride motorcycle that shift with feet forward controls and I was hoping that perhaps the shifters on the Spyder SM’s were set up that way but you say they aren’t

After the therapy I received from the knee replacement, I literally had to stop riding my 1992 BMWR100 GSPD. Such a shame too as the summer after I had my knee replaced I sent that motorcycle up to a shop that specializes in airhead beemers (the shop is in Charlottesville Virginia) for the owner to rebuild the transmission. Anton did a lot of other work to it while he had it. Both heads came off for a valve job, new piston rings, both carbs were rebuilt, synced, new battery, battery box, on and on. I dropped over 5 grand into that bike then when I got it back, and that was the first time I had ridden it since the knee replacement, I couldn’t shift it properly What I have to do to up shift is to place the back of my boot in front of the shifter and lift the shifter with my heel, not something you want to do on an off road motorcycle, even if you are riding it on pavement. I still have that bike. I’ve thought 9f advertising it for sale here in our classifieds yet the vast majority of users of that forum, are either looking to sell or buy a Spyder, not an airhead GS
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We just bought a 2013 Spyder STS-SM5 for Peggy to ride, and I totally agree with Peter: the Spyder shifts just like a bike.
    I'm still riding a 1999 VFR and can attest to the fact if you have issues shifting a bike, you'll have the same issues with the
    Spyder. The Spyder does have more shifter lever travel than my Honda, but the effort is about the same. Good luck with
    whatever you go with.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Thanks Howard! I guess I better limit search towards the SE models, when the time is right. Since I bought the 2020 Ryker Rally new last March, I have all my jack tied up in it. I’ll either have to look for a Spyder owner (with an SE) that is looking to trade for a Ryker or, sell my Ryker then go shopping in the used market or, perhaps do a trade in at a dealer that would take my Ryker in on trade for likely, a used SE RT Spyder

As an aside, I really thought my wife would be more enthusiastic about wanting to go look at used RT’s at the local Can Am dealer as she positively wont ride pillion on my Ryker Rally yet she laments we don’t have anything she’s comfortable riding on
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Thanks Howard! I guess I better limit search towards the SE models, when the time is right. Since I bought the 2020 Ryker Rally new last March, I have all my jack tied up in it. I’ll either have to look for a Spyder owner (with an SE) that is looking to trade for a Ryker or, sell my Ryker then go shopping in the used market or, perhaps do a trade in at a dealer that would take my Ryker in on trade for likely, a used SE RT Spyder

As an aside, I really thought my wife would be more enthusiastic about wanting to go look at used RT’s at the local Can Am dealer as she positively wont ride pillion on my Ryker Rally yet she laments we don’t have anything she’s comfortable riding on
    Most that have gone from shifting/clutch on regular motorcycles or the SM Spyders do not miss them. The SE just takes the shifting from your foot to your thumb and there is no manual clutch to mess with. There is NO performance difference, and no extra fuel saved by one over the other. The only thing you are missing is the foot and hand grab action on a manual shifter.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Used and new SE RTs are a lot more plentiful than SM models. I can't offhand think of any reason why an SM would work better for you. If you can swing it financially buy an RT this fall, after the primary riding season nationally and prices drop, and sell the Ryker next spring when demand will move up. I don't know of any significant changes to it for 2021 so the value of yours should stay up.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post

I don't know why you would even be considering an SM. They are hard to find, which is going to really limit availability, choice and competition for a sale. Not to mention your particular needs. What you could do is keep the Ryker for your wife, and get yourself an SE F3 or RT. This would open up your options quite a bit.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

@ IdahoMtnSp7der & BajaRon- Guys!, if I had the jack (currently I don’t) I would do something along the lines as both of you suggest. Right now the money isn’t there to add an RT, but you never know...my fortunes may change, like coming into a bit of inheritance for instance, or another life style change. I’ve thought about selling the Ryker outright to give me the capital to invest or rather, pounce upon the right RT when the situation presents itself but I’m just having too much of a good time riding the Ryker when I can. It really is a lot of fun
    2020 Rally , Black