Spyder Garage

Question Spyder Noob Asks For Buying Advice

Hello:

I’m a long-time (i.e. old) motorcyclist who enjoys exploring the back roads here in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and lately my wife has started riding with me sometimes. I restored an old Gold Wing for this, and she really enjoys our rides, the twistier the better.

I love that this is one more thing we can enjoy together, but we’re largish people (combined around 425 lbs.) and turning around or maneuvering this beast at low speeds, especially on gravelly surfaces, can be a white knuckle affair. I find myself picking routes based largely on where we may have to stop or turn around, which kind of defeats the purpose of exploring back roads.

We’ve started looking at Spyders and are trying to wade through all the models and options. It looks like the Spyders that are set up for comfortable 2-up cruising are priced at the (very) high end.

Our Priorities:
    New (I like to personally break in and maintain our toys)
    Passenger comfort
    Total Cost

Not High Priorities:
    Electronics (except for safety-related like ABS)
    Storage (we’ll be doing day trips, 2-3 hours)
    Wind protection (very little highway riding, and we pick our days)

I have a good shop and enjoy working on bikes, so aftermarket mods are not a problem. Is there a recipe for a more basic Spyder that can be set up for our riding style?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This all JMO of course.

If I were you I would be looking at the Spyder rather than the Ryker, mainly for carrying capacity. I think the carrying capacity of the Ryker is around 450 lbs.

Unless you're resolved to buy new, look around for used Spyders, you can save thousands, and you're not hugely invested in something if you decide you don't
    care for the ride. We bought used and spent under $8,000 for a Spyder with less than 5,000 miles.

One thing to be aware of with your desire to go off the beaten path: CanAm recommends against riding on gravel roads. The concern is that a rock will get kicked
    up into the belt, break the belt, and leave you stranded.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Just my thoughts.
    A Ryker out of the question for 2 up riding an carrying stuff on trips. Id buy a used Spyder probably a '14 - '17 RT , or newer if price is right. I gave up on 2 wheels from back injury. Went to spyder dealer an bought my RTL without even test riding one. Havent had any regrets. Love my Spyder RTL. Ride in the cold - just dress for the weather. Rain no problem either, on my 2 wheeler Id park it. Whatever you decide on have furn riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I agree with Possible re: gravel roads, I know there are quite a few Spyder riders who frequent them. I think (and don't hold me to this) some of our aftermarker suppliers offer belt guards that might help.

Since you said you wanted new, I'd suggest an F3T. The F3 Limited adds the rear trunk meaning you also get a passenger backrest built in but you can get a passenger backrest cheaper than the add'l cost of the Limited over the T. The other things the Limited offers over the T are heated grips (which you can add after the fact) and auto leveling suspension. (My previous RTL had auto leveling suspension which was nice but I only ride solo so it was sort of a waste. My current RT has a manual suspension. If you plan to change up the weight on the bike (better half on/off, more stuff in the bags or not, trailer or not), the auto leveling suspension would be great. If you're almost always riding with the same weight (always 2 up, always the same amount of luggage/trailer), I think it's a waste of money.) The F3T/L doesn't have the same wind management as the RT but it weighs less and is a little more "spirited". The F3T/L is also a bit cheaper than the RT but not by a whole lot.

Both the RT and F3T/L have plenty of electronics. I know you said that wasn't a high priority but that's the way they come from the factory. The RT has a few more bells and whistles like an electronically movable windscreen which is nice if you transition from warm to cold, rain to dry. F4 Customs sells some NICE windscreens for both the RT and F3T/L. You can outfit these with a GW type center vent (for the hot days) and "wings" to direct wind on/off of you.

All said, it sounds to me like an F3T would be the way to go, especially if you add a passenger backrest, foglights (not standard and nice to have on those backroads) andn perhaps an F4 Customs windscreen.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

and thanks for coming to the site. Lots of good information here. You really do need to test drive before you buy to make sure you are going to be happy with your purchase. There are good deals out there for new as well as used.

Ryker does not sound like a good match...but try one to see what your impressions are. Fewer electronics, very little storage capacity, and recommended for one up. Weight restrictions may be an issue for you folks though. However a few have bypassed that and do it anyway.

I recommend an F3 something as the best "in-between" Spyder. The "luxury" version would be an RT. The common comparison is "cruiser" vs. "Gold Wing." I have one of each currently and like both, but I like the F3 a little bit better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At the weight you carrying I wouldn't consider anything but an RT model. ... There was a 14 RTS ( low mileage ) that sold here recently for $10,500 ..... It had everything you would need .... New bikes generally have some issues that you will have to deal with.... which can mean ( and usually does ) lengthy " down time " at a dealer ..... Spyders like Harley owners take very good care of their machines ( imho ) .... If you insist on New get a basic model.... it will be a few thousand less ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Basic Spyder F3 with a seat and back rest for your SO and then you can up grade as needed/ wanted. But I think the most comfortable for you would be an RT
    Get the new 2021 RT basic put a back rest on go.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Get the new 2021 RT basic put a back rest on go.
    Grand idea except.....the BuRP passenger backrest is $400. In order to mount the BuRP backrest, you have to buy the LinQ base mount for another $300. Then, you can't use the colored cover so either you add a piece of LinQ compatible luggage or you look "unfinished". Boo on BuRP. (I checked this out as I wanted to install a passenger backrest just for the look. I never haul anybody around. Ever.)

Spyder Garage

You should probably consider just the RT model, as the rear compartment is over 2k alone. With this model you get the larger frunk and saddle bags. The total weight of the riders can be up to 495 lbs. I have seen some models still around, 2020, for just under 20k brand new, specifically at imotor sports. Check them out.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are looking for comfort and new, but don't have the latest and greatest, check out the RT for sure. I would look for a 2020 RT Limited, but I would also look at the 2019 RT Limited. There are still a few of those around and it sounds like it would meet all of your needs. It would definitely save you some money and still be new so that you can mod it however you like. IMotorsports still have a couple of 2019 RT Limites and they are priced just right. Good luck, and hope to see you in the NC/Tenn mountains one day.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2020 Ryker Rally new in March of this year. I agree with what all the others have to say suggesting you not consider the Ryker. They’re right, go with a Spyder

And if possible, buy used, you‘ll save money, but by all means, try riding a few at your local STealer. If you live near a size able city, they’ll likely have used Spyder in stock you can ride for test ride purposes

Also, you never know...a dealer may sell you a used unit at a righteous price. BTDT. What’s a good price for used? Check out kbb.com, they list retail and trade in pricing, if you’ve never been to that site. How you proceed from there is up to you. 911 Mike mentioned an RT selling used for ten five. They’re out there and would make a nice fly n ride purchase, after you rode one or two locally

Again, you may be able to buy locally and get it at the right price. Then again, maybe not. I drove my F-250 & drug a trailer out to Topeka Kansas (Cycle Zone Power Sports) because of the greedy local dealers, but then again, I like road trips and saving money. Others may have better and different ideas
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Consider,if available in your area, a 2 day Can Am rider course offered through dealers. I did this and was able to ride-all models made. Itmade the decision process easier.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your wisdom and experiences. What a great forum!

I will follow the advice of considering buying used. Sorry if I missed it - is there a timeline that highlights the major changes to the Spyders by year, especially regarding drivetrain, suspension or anything that might affect reliability?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The F3s have been out since 2015 with very few changes. 2016 F3T/L got an optional stereo. I think it became standard in 2017. The RTs came out in 2010 with a 998cc twin. High revving but with some issues although there are some who swear by them. 2013 RTs had a heat issue as the tupperware was set up for the upcoming 1330 three cylinder motor (which it didn't get until 2014). 2014-2019 RTs are basically the same except for minor yearly changes. 2020+ RTs are completely different from the previous generation except for the motor. You can get most/all RTs and F3s with either a manual or semi auto transmission. The earlier bikes had a 5 speed, newer have a 6 speed. I don't know what year that changed.

Another possibility might be an older ST. They're more sport oriented and I don't know their weight capacity but it might be an option. I think they stopped producing the STs in about 2014 (?).

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default new vs. old

Quote Originally Posted by kimspitz View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for sharing your wisdom and experiences. What a great forum!

I will follow the advice of considering buying used. Sorry if I missed it - is there a timeline that highlights the major changes to the Spyders by year, especially regarding drivetrain, suspension or anything that might affect reliability?
    From the introduction of the 1330 engine in 14 .... Any changes to the RT line was basically cosmetic, until 18 when they changed the instrument cluster and personally I think they screwed that up ...... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I f your 2-3 hours and NOT traveling the country a lot the Basic F-3 like mine is very comfortable and sporty BUT if you both want the best similar Motorcycle experience on back roads get 2 TWO Rykers and really ride together?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!