Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Aerostich has a "triple digit" glove cover that works great as a windbreaker layer without a lot of bulk.

triple digit.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I lived in Anchorage when I was just a wee tot. Mostly too young to remember anything but I used to drive a truck and have been back a couple of times.

Hadn't thought about PJ bottoms. I don't care if I look like the Michelin Man, I just don't want to feel like him. If I lose some mobility, it makes the ride harder. Harder to turn, harder to hit the brake, harder to work the controls.

We had the same winter last year. A couple of "flurry" days and a couple of actual snow days (if you can call it that....about 3/4" each time). Now, the year before, we had a 24" snow. Not horrible to what I'm used to (grew up in northern Indiana) but the worst snow around here in 20+ years. (It made the news.)

No Baker wings, only OEM deflectors.

Dave, I'd buy anything from you but I don't need a heated seat, my friend. Had one once. Turned it on twice, once when I bought it because it was a novelty and once when I sold it to show the new owner it worked. And that was northern Indiana.
    I did not feel mobility was reduced...except for the touch using the heavier lined gloves.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The power tool jackets are not as good as the ones designed for cycling.

Spyder Garage

Klim non insulated jacket (Keewee, stealth, Storm etc) and north face wind fleece or Klim wind transition jacket under it with underarmor in the winter on the sleds is all we wear. No bulk at all. Klim makes a really good wind pants called the "transition" Wear your jeans and slide these transition pants over and you will roast. If your worried about protection wear the transition under your touring jacket. Thats what I do and we ride the Spyder at 35 in the fall. Just did it yesterday before it started snowing today.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

since your legs were the coldest. i use "freeze out" base layer under jeans in colder weather. a good inner fleece lined. available from cycle gear, it might be "their" brand?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use Hotwired heated gear from Cycle Gear. I use 12 volt jacket liner and gloves. I do not feel “tied down” to the bike when I use them. The wires slide apart if you forget to unplug them. Expensive? Once you use heated gear you’ll wonder why you didn’t get it sooner.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    since your legs were the coldest. i use "freeze out" base layer under jeans in colder weather. a good inner fleece lined. available from cycle gear, it might be "their" brand?
    I've heard of them and had considered them but my sizes in the pants and pull over seem to be out of stock. Seemed like it might be a good choice given the price.

Spyder Garage

I ride all year round on and around Long Island, NY. Above 45 degrees, I wear a long sleeve shirt under my BILT jaket with the winter liner a schampa neck warmer, wool socks, gloves. Under that temp, I add a Gerbing jacket liner over the long sleeve shirt and under my BILT jacket (with the liner removed, don't need it with the heated liner). I wear a freeze-out head liner, freeze-out long johns (under a pair of 511 tactical pants), schampa neck warmer (that extends over my chest and back) and gauntlet gloves. I wear insulated boots with heavy wool or merino wool socks. I can comfortably ride for hours in this gear. As a side note my feet always get cold although not uncomfortably so. I have tried multiple pairs of socks and heated socks, to no avail. This year I will be experimenting with adhesive toe warmers.

Spyder Garage

I have a Motocentric one piece riding suit... much like a snowmobile suit. Bought it for winter riding when I still had my Harley. Actually find it TOO warm on the RTL unless air temp is below about 16F/-10C. Anything less than that and its just longjohns and sweatshirt under regular gear.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

As someone that does a lot of snowmobiling I like ski gear till it gets below 0 then I go to snowmobile gear. You can layer thermals under ski gear when below 25 or so if needed. What I like about the ski gear is that most all of it has a ton of open and close vents. That is perfect because when you step out of the house you will think you are not warm enough. A few mile into the trip when the engine heats up and you are working turns you will be to hot. You will want the vents IMO. You do not want to start sweating to bad. I find once I start sweating the clothes feel wet and when you stop can make you even colder. It will never dry until you take them off.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I purchased first gear heated jacket liner, pants liner, glove liners, and socks from BAJARON about 4 years ago. Great price and awesome service from BAJARON as always.
    There is a 2 dial remote for separate control of upper body and lower body temps. They work GREAT. Now down into the teens.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Re: sweating under the gear. Avoid cotton completely. Merino wool or synthetics sap moisture away from body so you don't feel like you're wearing a wet sponge.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

When I would drive my Ural's during the winter months (never drove it during the summer). I went with Ice Fishing gear. I used Ice Armor which blocked all wind and 100% waterproof. Bought them at Dick's sporting good store though I'm sure other places have them. I wasn't into buying Snowmobile suits as they seemed to be structured to be tight and advertised snowmobile names, whereas Ice Fishing was slightly baggy and could easily slid them over my normal clothes going to work. They have insulated pads in the knees and butt, which worked great also. I figured if fishermen could stand all day on a lake with the wind blowing up storms and then are sticking their arms in the water to grab fish, they must be good. They lasted my 5 years before thinking about buying new again.

Spyder Garage

best money i've spent on cold weather gear is a pair of snow ski pants sized as overpants works great for me

Spyder Garage

I also like to ride to work in cold weather. Got a 3 season Olympia jacket and riding over pants from RevZilla, love it. Also got heated gloves with a battery pack, they are bulky but work. The gloves had a wiper on the forefinger that I had to trim off as it would hit the down shift button. I do use an inner glove as you get some cold around the seams, this takes care of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problem with overpants most places is sizing. I'm a fat guy and most of the XXXXXXXXXXXXXL sizes are either non-existant or out of stock. I just ordered a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 overpants off of eBay in 5XL. I think these will be TOO big but nobody has 4XL. We'll see if they fit and if so, if they work whenever I get them.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

We got Aerostich suits years ago. Got them large enuf for layering under.

My RT is quite different air-flow wise from my Beemers. We kept the heated jacket liners and they are good. I was in denial initially about wearing the liner close skin, but it works well. Installed adjustable controllers for each of us. System works great. Oh, both hand-warmers are excellent!
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

It is physics that heat moves to cold. This is accelerated with cold air flowing around your warm body and pulling the heat away.
    Cut the wind factor down and you'll stay warmer longer.

In my early days I took a section of newspaper and lined my jacket at my chest and my pants in front of my shins.
    I was able to stay comfortable longer by doing this. There's relatively thin closed cell foam sheets that can be cut to fit that would do the same.

Do this in addition to other methods
    Just my thoughts...
    F3S
    Black, with black stuff on it.

Spyder Garage

I've heard of them and had considered them but my sizes in the pants and pull over seem to be out of stock. Seemed like it might be a good choice given the price.
    The freeze out clothing work quite well to block the air movement through whatever gear you have on. will give you another 5-10 degrees of protection

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried three-fingered gloves like the Chamb 3 Finger riding gloves?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Has anyone tried three-fingered gloves like the Chamb 3 Finger riding gloves?
    You mean, has anyone tried something like these that were mentioned earlier??

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Aerostich has a "triple digit" glove cover that works great as a windbreaker layer without a lot of bulk.

triple digit.jpg
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just ordered a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 overpants off of eBay in 5XL. I think these will be TOO big but nobody has 4XL. We'll see if they fit and if so, if they work whenever I get them.

HAGO!
    Got the 5XL overpants. They're nice but as I figured, they're too big. Found a pair of 4XL in the same thing. I'll order them today and hope they fit well. If so, I'm golden. If not, back to square 1.

Spyder Garage

I'm also not one for massively bulky, but at 5'9 and 130 lbs, that used to be the only way I could stay warm since I have no "Natural" insulation. That said, my wife and I love our ORORO heated vests, though they also have many other styles at very reasonable prices. I usually wear mine over a long sleeve shirt with my light work vest over it to draw it in tight against my body and then my leathers to top it all off. The combination has worked well for me down into the teens during my 25 mile interstate ride every morning into work. One thing I really like about the ORORO is the extended, heated collar. It's almost like wearing an electric Turtleneck, and it really cuts out the wind blast from around the back of my neck. They also do heated gloves, socks and jackets.
    https://www.ororowear.com
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Warm and Safe really great heated gear. The controller is bluetoothed to the heat source,so you can pretty much put it anywhere. They are sold direct and the AMA membership gives you a 20% discount. Or as First Gear which Baja Ron sells, also at a substancial discount.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I used to use a snowmobile suit when the temps got down below 40 degrees F. Nowadays I feel the cold more - heated gear is the only answer for me. It's either a Gerbing jacket liner or Gerbing heated parka-style jacket, heated gloves and heated chaps. With good boots and warm socks, keeping my core temps up allows my feet to stay warm without heated socks, although I do have a battery-operated pair that I might have used once or twice at most.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black