Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold weather gear discussion

I started my ride today @ about 33*F. Here's what I was wearing (that wasn't quite enough): boots, regular sox, drawers (of course), thick jeans (not insulated), rain pants (to keep some wind off my legs), long sleeved t shirt, hoodie, mesh jacket, rain coat (again, to keep some wind off me), neck gaiter, thick fall/spring gloves and my helmet. I wasn't frozen but I sure wasn't warm.

I think I need something under the jeans. Some of the motorcycle specific long johns are probably best for both warmth, wind resistance and less bulk but I'm a big guy w/a fat arse and most of those seem to be geared for normal size people. Probably my best bet is to hit up Wally World and buy a pair of generic long johns.

I could feel the cold air on my feet but my feet weren't cold, just cool. A nice pair of wool sox should do the trick.

I just ordered a pair of Cortech Scarab 2.0 gloves. The reviews are mixed but I can get a pair for $75 including tax (they're priced almost $100 plus tax everywhere else). Thinking about a pair of glove liners aswell. Never worn glove liners so I have no idea what to get. I had the heated grips on high but between the foam grip covers and the gloves, I couldn't feel a whole lot of heat from them. I'm thinking about removing the foam grips.

I had too much bulk on the top half of my body. I didn't wear the thermal jacket liner but might try that instead of the hoodie next time. I'm still not sure if that will be enough. I'll have to see. It's supposed to be much warmer tomorrow (low 50s to mid 60s).

I tend to ride down into the low 20s as long as there isn't any rain/ice/snow. I'm going to have to up my game. Even up into the upper 40s today, I was a little cooler than I'd like although nothing was numb and I wasn't shivering.

So, that's my story. If you have suggestions, brrrrrrrrring 'em on. (That was humor. Get it? Brrrrrrrr-ing 'em on. Brrrrrr, right?)

HAGO!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I started my ride today @ about 33*F. Here's what I was wearing (that wasn't quite enough): boots, regular sox, drawers (of course), thick jeans (not insulated), rain pants (to keep some wind off my legs), long sleeved t shirt, hoodie, mesh jacket, rain coat (again, to keep some wind off me), neck gaiter, thick fall/spring gloves and my helmet. I wasn't frozen but I sure wasn't warm.

I think I need something under the jeans. Some of the motorcycle specific long johns are probably best for both warmth, wind resistance and less bulk but I'm a big guy w/a fat arse and most of those seem to be geared for normal size people. Probably my best bet is to hit up Wally World and buy a pair of generic long johns.

I could feel the cold air on my feet but my feet weren't cold, just cool. A nice pair of wool sox should do the trick.

I just ordered a pair of Cortech Scarab 2.0 gloves. The reviews are mixed but I can get a pair for $75 including tax (they're priced almost $100 plus tax everywhere else). Thinking about a pair of glove liners aswell. Never worn glove liners so I have no idea what to get. I had the heated grips on high but between the foam grip covers and the gloves, I couldn't feel a whole lot of heat from them. I'm thinking about removing the foam grips.

I had too much bulk on the top half of my body. I didn't wear the thermal jacket liner but might try that instead of the hoodie next time. I'm still not sure if that will be enough. I'll have to see. It's supposed to be much warmer tomorrow (low 50s to mid 60s).

I tend to ride down into the low 20s as long as there isn't any rain/ice/snow. I'm going to have to up my game. Even up into the upper 40s today, I was a little cooler than I'd like although nothing was numb and I wasn't shivering.

So, that's my story. If you have suggestions, brrrrrrrrring 'em on. (That was humor. Get it? Brrrrrrrr-ing 'em on. Brrrrrr, right?)

HAGO!
    I used to Sno-mobile and now only downhill Ski ..... clothing for these sports are ideal for " cold " weather..... and will be much less expensive than " Mtc. specific " gear...... a hugh amount of choices and price points ..... annnnnnnd most of this stuff is waterproof ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hadn't thought about snowmobiling gear. Isn't it pretty bulky, though? I don't want to feel like that kid in the Christmas movie who couldn't move his arms.

Spyder Garage

Heated jacket liner, not the vest, but the jacket liner. When you keep your core warm the rest of your body stays warm. I use the liner and my lightweight, but windproof Triumph jacket. Something around the neck to block wind coming in around my collar. I have a pair of lightweight cold weather "long john" pants I bought cheap from Cycle Gear that I wear under my jeans and for really cold I have a pair of cargo pants with a fleece lining. Heavy boot socks and my HD riding boots. I have heated gloves, but rarely use them as they are too bulky for my liking. Good windproof gloves and the heated grips work for me. I HATE bulky so a couple of lightweight, windproof layers with the jacket liner keeps me snug as a bug down into the 20's. Long sleeved T-shirt under the heated jacket liner. If you put a heavy garment under the heated liner you are actually defeating the purpose of a heated liner. A source of heat (jacket liner) and WINDPROOF outer layer does the job for me.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not as many options for the big and fat crowd. I just looked and found some lined pants @ Duluth. Not cheap but I know they're superb. Hadn't given Duluth much thought recently.

Spyder Garage

I have a goose down ski jacket from Eddie Bauer that is almost too warm for all but the lowest temperatures. I have worn it skiing in sub teen temperatures and the cold does not penetrate. I have had this jacket for over 40 years and it is as good as new. Below, I wear a pair of traditional long johns, a pair of light knee sox with wool sox over. Then heavy denim jeans with leather chaps over. I do have rain gear to go over all of me but have never had the need for that. For gloves I like unlined Deerskins. I find the deerskin to be warm and pliable and make good use of my heated grips too. One of the things I look for in gloves is something with a big gauntlet. I like having that gauntlet over my jacket to keep the cold from coming up my sleeves. If I could find a lightly lined deerskin glove with big gauntlet I think that would be perfect. But so far no luck with that...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I used to commute year round with an inexpensive snowmobile one-piece suit. Fit in a backpack, quick on/off. I'm a short fat man, too.

Keep in mind that summer tires traction degrades below 40°. You might want to try some e-stops on cold tires-- anti-lock will work, but you may take longer to stop.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m pretty much with the others. It was about 35*F when I went out. Simple cotton long sleeved shirt, pair of wally world jeans. Regular oxfords my unplugged heated vest, regular riding jacket with liner, my light winter riding gauntlets and my 1/2 helmet. Handlebar heater set on low and I never felt the cold at all. I think Monk, that you have to get acclimatized to the cooler temperatures now.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I ride year round. Depending on degree of cold temps I start with Merino wool base layers (top & bottom), synthetic shirt, wool socks, Goretex pants & jacket, gauntlet winter gloves. I don't wear cotton due to clammy if you sweat under all that gear and it's bulk.
    If colder I go with the above bases, 12v jacket & gloves. Coldest gets the 12v pants and/or socks. At all but warm temps, I have a Merino neck sock to keep the breezes off the back of neck. If my neck is cold, I'm uncomfortable.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have my bike setup for heated gear with remote controller.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I used to commute year round with an inexpensive snowmobile one-piece suit. Fit in a backpack, quick on/off. I'm a short fat man, too.

Keep in mind that summer tires traction degrades below 40°. You might want to try some e-stops on cold tires-- anti-lock will work, but you may take longer to stop.
    about the tires .... That's why, one of the reasons, the Vredestein Q-5 ( which I highly recommend as the best all-around Spyder tire ) is such a great tire ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hadn't thought about snowmobiling gear. Isn't it pretty bulky, though? I don't want to feel like that kid in the Christmas movie who couldn't move his arms.
    Then try Ski gear .... it's usually less bulky, but that costs more to equal what sno-mobile gear can provide " heat-wise "......Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The few times I've ridden in cold weather I found that my Frog Tog rain suit really helped me to stay warm. It's totally impervious to the wind and that makes a huge difference in staying warm.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your idea of removing the foam grips will surely help the cold hands.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The core of my suggestion is just one word: "ELECTRICS". As in: heated gear.

We have a mix of items we have gathered over the years, but all the newer stuff is Gerbing. There might be cheaper options, but we are already committed to Gerbing and their way of connecting and controlling things.

If you want heated gear, but don't want to add wires to your ride, Gerbing has a line of 7-volt clothing that is aimed at hunters and outdoor workers. Besides the clothing, you will also have to purchase batteries and chargers, but that might be easier for some, especially if you have multiple rides and/or interests.

One thing that really helps, no matter what you ride, "wind management". If you don't have a windshield, get one. Even in warmer weather, it's great, as it keeps bugs off of you. In cooler or wetter weather, some sort of deflectors for the lower body work well, too. On an RT, those are built-in. On an F3 I think there is some, but on a Ryker, there is virtually nothing to keep air/water off the lower body.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    The core of my suggestion is just one word: "ELECTRICS". As in: heated gear.

We have a mix of items we have gathered over the years, but all the newer stuff is Gerbing. There might be cheaper options, but we are already committed to Gerbing and their way of connecting and controlling things.

If you want heated gear, but don't want to add wires to your ride, Gerbing has a line of 7-volt clothing that is aimed at hunters and outdoor workers. Besides the clothing, you will also have to purchase batteries and chargers, but that might be easier for some, especially if you have multiple rides and/or interests.

One thing that really helps, no matter what you ride, "wind management". If you don't have a windshield, get one. Even in warmer weather, it's great, as it keeps bugs off of you. In cooler or wetter weather, some sort of deflectors for the lower body work well, too. On an RT, those are built-in. On an F3 I think there is some, but on a Ryker, there is virtually nothing to keep air/water off the lower body.
    I don't like to feel tied down to the bike and while I'd love some heated gear, it's uber expensive. I've got a 2021 RT so I've got pretty good wind management. I'm about to buy a set of adjustable lower vents aswell. Not sure if that will help in winter but I did the same on my 2018 RT and the vents were bigger than the originals. I'm hoping this is the same on the newer RTs.

Spyder Garage

There are many brands of polyester base layers that are "wicking" layers. Those work great, and they're thin, so it makes it easy to layer up and strip some off as the temp warms during the day. I just wear insulated jeans, and if its real cold, I'll put a pair of longjohns or something similar under the jeans. Keep in mind there are lots of base leayers for your legs too. Base layers are the key, then just wear what you normally would over the top
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The answers are going to vary, depending on the person and the location. Since coming to the site (2/2010) and living in Alaska all that time (until 2019), I will tell you what I did for cold weather gear.

In Alaska: I would ride until the first ice on the road (usually early Nov.) and start riding again when the black ice melted off the roads, and my driveway to get there. Usually mid March to early April.

Lived near Anchorage, so the temps were not killing cold. 10 Below was about all we got at the worst. November would be low 20's most of the time, and March/April mid 30's.

My comfort zone at that time was no colder than 20 above.

My gear for cold...Firstgear textiles w/ full winter liners. Have both the jackets and pants.

For an extra leg liner...pj bottoms work good. Gauntlet gloves with fleece liners, a scarf or balaclava to keep the wind off the neck. Looked and felt like the Michelin Man, but it kept my comfort level good.

In Arkansas: since May 2019....been through one winter now. Rode all year last year, made sure to do Christmas and New Year's, just because I could. No ice riding for me. We had two snow "flurry" days so I did not ride them. Rest of the time, clear roads, so the ride was on.

Last year I used the Textile jacket with the winter liner. No special riding pants. Jeans with or without the extra pj bottoms (depending on cold level). Also have a pair of leather chaps which got used a few times. Wellington style MC boots with side zippers. Tucked the pant legs in the boots to keep the cool air from going up the legs. Used medium weight, leather Gauntlet gloves (can am brand). The heated grips on the Spyders came in handy. Felt no need for balaclava or scarf. I don't do heated gear, and never have, because I do not like being wired to the bike.

PS: there are some fine All season textiles out there that cost around $100 or less. I bought a new one this season. The FG stuff was around $500 per item (pants, jacket). I feel that the new one is just as good. Don't know about longevity yet, but I can buy five of those for the price of one FG. A search of the i-net will bring many of them up from respected suppliers.

I see you are NC, so you are going to be in the ballpark for suggestions for Arkansas riding. .
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-01-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wind an water proof gloves, an same for jacket an pants are a must. Wind and water going through an getting to your hands an body is the deal breaker for me before I bought, Tour Master jacket an pants, wind, waterproof, zip in or out insulated liner. Had them for alot of yrs now an still work like new. I wear a pair of thinsalate lined deerskin gloves. Iv had them for 16 yrs they have some bad wear on one hand but still use them. I have a newer pair of them but use the old ones mostly. If one pair gets wet I change to the other ones, ring out the water of wet ones an keep going. The heated grips are great to help keep hands toasty warm too, and help dry out the gloves. Ride all winter except when the crap been put on road to melt snow. Once that has dried Back to riding. Had appointment 3 1/2 hrs away. It was below 30 degrees when left house an temp went down to 20 going over the pass. Wind blowing an some snow outside of Vancover WA when I got there. Did 60-65 mph speed limits an the slower limits. Tip my toes were little cold but warmed back up when temps back to 30. Should of had my wool socks on. Stopped a couple times to see if road was icy. Nope an kept on cruising.

Spyder Garage

Default Cold weather gear discussion

I use a first gear pants and jacket, no liners, fleece neck gaiter, Warm and Safe glove liner and their new stretchy base heated shirt with fleece long sleeve over this. Plug into wire and adjust dual controller as needed. I need wind deflection for my hands on my F3-T, but am otherwise comfortable in temps to 30 or less.

If you are getting Baker air flaps for your RT, get the leg and hand deflectors also and you will notice a big improvement in your wind protection. Made a lot of difference on my gold wing; which had very good rider air protection.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

HAGO!
    Go to BASS PROS and buy your self a snow mobile riding suit they work great, then call me and I will send you
    one of my motorcycle seat heaters just like the OEM units you pay a ton of money for but mine is only $89.95
    motorcycledave.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Lived near Anchorage...

For an extra leg liner...pj bottoms work good. Gauntlet gloves with fleece liners, a scarf or balaclava to keep the wind off the neck. Looked and felt like the Michelin Man, but it kept my comfort level good.

In Arkansas: since May 2019....been through one winter now. Rode all year last year, made sure to do Christmas and New Year's, just because I could. No ice riding for me. We had two snow "flurry" days so I did not ride them. Rest of the time, clear roads, so the ride was on.

I see you are NC, so you are going to be in the ballpark for suggestions for Arkansas riding. .
    I lived in Anchorage when I was just a wee tot. Mostly too young to remember anything but I used to drive a truck and have been back a couple of times.

Hadn't thought about PJ bottoms. I don't care if I look like the Michelin Man, I just don't want to feel like him. If I lose some mobility, it makes the ride harder. Harder to turn, harder to hit the brake, harder to work the controls.

We had the same winter last year. A couple of "flurry" days and a couple of actual snow days (if you can call it that....about 3/4" each time). Now, the year before, we had a 24" snow. Not horrible to what I'm used to (grew up in northern Indiana) but the worst snow around here in 20+ years. (It made the news.)

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    If you are getting Baker air flaps for your RT...

Al in Kazoo
    No Baker wings, only OEM deflectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Go to BASS PROS and buy your self a snow mobile riding suit they work great, then call me and I will send you
    one of my motorcycle seat heaters just like the OEM units you pay a ton of money for but mine is only $89.95
    motorcycledave.com
    Dave, I'd buy anything from you but I don't need a heated seat, my friend. Had one once. Turned it on twice, once when I bought it because it was a novelty and once when I sold it to show the new owner it worked. And that was northern Indiana.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now I stop riding when it gets in the 40's but do use a heated vest that has heat in the neck liner and the heated grips. I wear the BRP jacket and maybe a shirt over the vest. Then find a neck face gator works well too.
    Regular deer skin with the heated grips worked well.

If I had to go longer distances then maybe a pair of insulated bib overalls. Those snowmobile ones work well.

Spyder Garage

Just leather gloves are best when using heated grips - no thick liners. Beyond that I go to my Joe Rocket heated gloves which have never let me down. They were $200 6 years ago and still going strong. Battery powered heated gear has come along way; I don’t think I would have hard wired heated gear to a bike anymore.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

I've been looking at heated jacket liners. Most of the major power tool manufacturers offer them to match their line of cordless tools.
    I've been looking at DeWalt so I'd buy the jacket, but I already have several of the 20V batteries and chargers.

Just a thought.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey