Spyder Garage

Default So what do you guys think of this sound on my F3-T

I have an F3-T and it started this a coupel of months ago. But it seems to ride well.

I made a video of the sound. It really only happens when I put my foot on the foot peg to get on.

https://youtu.be/9K7dNR1Meuk

Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like it could be sway bar Heim links or bushings. I say that because my Spyder when brand new with a Bajaron sway bar sounded exactly like that but the sound went away after about 200 miles.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I had the sway bar replaced about 4 weeks ago and they installed it with the new links. Dont even know what bushings are. :-)

The big thing is it real serious? As in stay off of it?m Or is it ok to still ride it until I have it looked at??

Spyder Garage

My F3S was making the same noise. So I lubricated the sway bar rod ends with powered graphite. Been fine now for about six thousand miles. I'd have who ever replaced the sway bar take a look.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
    My F3S was making the same noise. So I lubricated the sway bar rod ends with powered graphite. Been fine now for about six thousand miles. I'd have who ever replaced the sway bar take a look.
    What are the rod ends

Spyder Garage

Look at this fiche, part #12....long bar. Follow it to the ends and you will see rod ends. Then look under front of your F3 and it might be clearer to you. https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...spension-front
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    What are the rod ends
    The Sway Bar Rod Ends are the bits of metal that hold or 'Link' the ends of the sway bar onto the lower swinging suspension arms - hence the terms 'Sway Bar Links' & 'Sway Bar Rod Ends'. They are usually found by looking for the vertical rod that forms the 'link' between the suspension arms & the ends of the horizontal, flexible spring that we often call a Sway bar, altho it's really an Anti-Sway bar! The Sway Bar Bushes are usually found underneath the frame just inside the inner ends of the suspension where they hold the middle of the Sway Bar firmly against the frame, so that any suspension movement on one side of the suspension is passed thru the Anti-sway bar so that as it's twisted, the resulting torsion can help equalise the forces acting on one side of the suspension and transfer some of it across to the other, thereby reducing the 'side to side' sway or uneven oscillation that would otherwise occur!

Back to the Sway Bar Rod Ends, those Sway Bar Links have little flexible 'ball joints' in the end, often 'Heim Joints', in the form of a metal ball (with a bolt hole thru the middle of it) that can swivel in a bowl shaped cup, with the bolt securing that end onto the chassis or bar as applicable so that the ball can swivel thru a wide range of motion and angles as the various parts move in different ways. These are known as the Sway Bar Rod Ends, but there are also 'Rod Ends' that serve a similar function (albeit in a slightly different way) found on the end of the steering tie rods, where they help cater for the multi-directional movement experienced when the horizontal 'side to side' movement of the steering tie rods gets converted into the back & forth AND up & down movement of the wheels as they turn & steer on the ends of the suspension arms.

Again, back to the Sway Bar Rod Ends - they have been known to become a little tight &/or locked as the tiny gap between the ball & the cup surrounding it gets filled with road grime etc, & so can create that clunking noise as they resist moving then suddenly release. Generally, cleaning them with a solvent &/or silicone type spray will get rid of the problem; but if you've left them with grime &/or grit in there for too long, it may have pitted the surfaces & need to be replaced.... but the metal used in the a/mkt rod ends is generally pretty high quality stuff & that'll generally take a fair while to present.... often not so long with the lesser quality OE products!!

And of course, the OE Sway Bar Links themselves are made out of a 'lightweight poly/fibre product' that has been known to become flexible over time, twisting in ways the designing engineer never envisaged & so putting the Rod Ends under all sorts of 'abnormal pressures', often contributing to clunks & noises; and just as often/over time causing the OE sway Bar Links to actually fail!! And you can take it from me that when THAT occurs as you're hanging off the seat half-way thru a full rate turn with the inside wheel off the ground & the Nanny already getting a little nervous about everything, the sudden 'snap' & resulting lurch will really make your bum pucker!

So there's a whole bunch of moving components in the suspension & steering areas that can become a little 'grippy' &/or 'clunky' as they move when you climb aboard - the most likely cause of your noise is probably what's being referred to as the Sway Bar Rod Ends, but it could also be any one of the many other bushes &/or joints that help the suspension & steering keep your Spyder working & mobile. Probably wouldn't hurt you to make sure that all of them are lubricated & moving freely!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I will have the guy who installed it look into it

Is it still safe to ride it or will that Make it worse?

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

This should help. This is under the lower a-arm behind the front wheel.

heim.jpg

OEMheim.jpg

bajalink.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

So I brought my bike up to the guy who installed the sway bar.

Well, he listened to the noise. And then found it. It was not the sway bar.

He took off the left hand side tupperware, and saw a single bolt right below my seat. The noise was from that. He tightened it and all noises went away. Quiet as can be now