Spyder Garage

Default Dealer or motorcycle shop for oil change and service. Mesa/AJ, AZ area.

We are picking up an used 2018 RTL Monday. Anyone found a good third party motorcycle shop to do Oil, Filter and tranny service in Apache Junction/Mesa Az area. Or have recommendation of best dealer to use. There are several Ride Now's and Nash in the area.

Thanks Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

From a dealer list been attempting RideNow in Chandler, AZ
    Someone that had previous bad experience with sales dept had a great report for the service dept
    We ride power spots ,Mesa AZ: after making customer wait,
    Actually told customer they could save $$ & time by sucking the oil out of dipstick &not changing filter rather, than a proper oil change⚠️ & made it sound like a standard practice

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I would not trust an MC shop to do an oil change as there are things to know that differ from changing oil on motorcycles. I'd go where they are familiar with the quirks of Spyders.
    I do my own oil changes, it's not difficult. The manual and videos are helpful. If you are going to do it, check the rotation of the ratchet before attempting to remove the 2 drain plugs. Lefty loosey. Also, unseal the dipstick so air can flow in as the oil drains.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I would not trust an MC shop to do an oil change as there are things to know that differ from changing oil on motorcycles. I'd go where they are familiar with the quirks of Spyders.
    I do my own oil changes, it's not difficult. The manual and videos are helpful. If you are going to do it, check the rotation of the ratchet before attempting to remove the 2 drain plugs. Lefty loosey. Also, unseal the dipstick so air can flow in as the oil drains.
    Just curious what is different on the Spyder when it comes to an oil change? It's basically an internal combustion engine, drop the drain plug/s,
    change the filter/s, put the drain plug/s back in, add oil. That's why you can do it yourself. Shop techs aren't usually geniuses, but this ain't
    rocket science.

Unless you're talking about doing a full service check.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

You might want to look up a YouTube video on changing oil in an RT. In addition to removing Tupperware, it's good to know in advance how to do it and how to access and remove the oil filter. It also takes an odd aomunt of oil - 5.25 quarts, or so.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Did watch the videos. The RV park says not work allowed on vehicles. However I have been changing the oil in our RAM diesel truck all but one winter of 13 years here. I may just buy some ramps and have at it.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want to look up a YouTube video on changing oil in an RT. In addition to removing Tupperware, it's good to know in advance how to do it and how to access and remove the oil filter. It also takes an odd aomunt of oil - 5.25 quarts, or so.
    Most motorcycles require some removal of bodywork anymore. If you can find a video of how to do it, I'm sure a shop won't have an issue
    figuring it out. As far as the odd amount of oil, that 5.25 quarts probably equates to 5 liters. Yep, 5 liters equals 5.283 quarts. And also,
    that's why they have dipsticks, or sight glasses on the more modern motorcycles.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

You are almost sure to do a better job changing the oil than a shop will do. If only because you can run the bike before the oil change and have the particles suspended when you pull the plugs. If the shop runs the bike at all before changing the oil, they will have some flunky ride it around the parking lot 2 times and then park it in the shop, where the mechanic will start on the oil change after he comes back from lunch. Just to take mine to a shop that will do it would take all day, and I can change it myself in an hour or two, including checking tire pressures, coolant, fastener tightness, belt, and other standard checks, which they may or may not do at a shop.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Watch the video at this link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeb...ature=youtu.be, and you can see it being done on the ground. Put the Tupperware you remove in your truck and no one will be the wiser. Ramps would make it easier on your bones.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I will not step foot in a Ride Now store, either sales or service. I can go on and on about their arrogant attitude and inept service. Nash is a bit better but like most, overcharges for just oil and filter change (2 hour labor charge). If you ride like most, your service only will need doing once a year. I would take the time, make an appointment, and enjoy a ride down to Sierra Vista and have Sierra Cycles do the service. They are probably the best and most knowledgeable dealer in Arizona.

It was Nash that did a suck job on my Spyder (just sucked the old oil out the dip stick tube). After I got home and started thinking about it, I went back and talked to the Service Manager. They did do a full oil/filter change on their dime and for some reason, the Service Writer who sold me the suck job was no longer there.

During my 3 year Spyder ownership I was unable to find any shop willing to look at a Spyder other than Spyder dealerships. And, trust me, after the horrible experiences with dealers in Mesa, I looked. Best advice......bottom line...... DIY or use Sierra Cycles..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The Ride Now shop in Concord, NC left me cold on two counts: wouldn't install a cage tire on my rear wheel and the parts department didn't have squat for very simple parts, like the O-rings and gaskets for a shop technician to do an oil change or antifreeze for a technician to do a coolant service.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    that's why they have dipsticks, or sight glasses on the more modern motorcycles.
    Be sure to read in the manual, the procedure for checking oil level. It's unlike any bike I ever owned. If the procedure is not followed, you will get a low reading and add oil, as some here have. The results of that are not good.

Spyder Garage

You can't beat Sierra Vista Cycles. Terrific operation to do business with.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be sure to read in the manual, the procedure for checking oil level. It's unlike any bike I ever owned. If the procedure is not followed, you will get a low reading and add oil, as some here have. The results of that are not good.
    I'll agree with that. It's definitely a bit of an oddball checking ritual. Seems overly complicated for a simple dry sump engine, it does
    make a person wonder why.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new Spyder RTL! Especially since it's a new to you ride, I would HIGHLY recommend bringing it in to your dealer of choice and let them do a full inspection, hook up to BUDS, etc.. just to make sure everything is ready for many years of trouble free riding. If we can help in any way, we'd love and be honored to be your dealer. We were just awarded BRP Spyder/Ryker dealer of the district and dealer of the region (one of the top 4 in the US). We have a Spyder Master Mechanic and are more than qualified to get you squared away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SierraCycles View Post
    Congrats on the new Spyder RTL! Especially since it's a new to you ride, I would HIGHLY recommend bringing it in to your dealer of choice and let them do a full inspection, hook up to BUDS, etc.. just to make sure everything is ready for many years of trouble free riding. If we can help in any way, we'd love and be honored to be your dealer. We were just awarded BRP Spyder/Ryker dealer of the district and dealer of the region (one of the top 4 in the US). We have a Spyder Master Mechanic and are more than qualified to get you squared away.
    Well with a 172 mile 3 hour ride the oil would be warmed up. We were down that way a couple years ago and thought Sierra Vista looked like a nice community. Had a guy tell me that Sierra Vista has the second highest per capita income in the state!

Spyder Garage

Our local Spyder dealer and service center has a shop that looks like a grenade exploded in it. I found a place not too far away it looks like they have a well run shop. My local Harley dealer has a shop that looks like an operating room and when the bike is done give it a full detail. Yep it’s expensive, but I can’t climb underneath them anymore.

Spyder Garage

To update this old thread, I have been doing my own oil changes, and will replace the brake pads on the Champagne one this week. Removing tupperware has become a way on life. I have installed 4 or 5 Bajaron sway bars now, wired GPS and USB outlets, remove the rear wheel for a tire upgrade and re-installed it, installed a belt roller, Bajaron front shock preload adjusters, LED lighting and top case and seat struts. On and on. I enjoy working on them about a much as riding them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I enjoy working on them about a much as riding them.
    That's 100% correct. If you accept the Spyder design is what it needs to be rather than what you want it to be they are a well-engineered machine that might be a bit time-consuming to work on but for the most part are not difficult to work on. I too enjoy working on my Spyder. Granted I purchased and read and understood the Service Manual and purchased the appropriate Spyder-specific tools and parts from BajaRon (highly recommended) and other vendors but the machine is pleasant to work on (no greasy parts, no fragile electrical connections, etc).

Although I must make a confession: I replaced all the Torx machine screws (and most pop rivets) with stainless steel flanged button-head machine screws. Easy to see in the dim lighting conditions and easy to torque off-axis with ball-end T-handle wrench. This ain't the first time I've done this...

Regarding dealer service, I had a Moto Guzzi V7 III. After the 600mi service, I asked the writer the cost for the next service (lubricants only) where I brought the lubricants and where no bodywork had to be removed: $300. The MG was gone the same month.

And I'm enjoying riding too.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike