Spyder Garage

Default Air shock question

Just got my first Spyder last week. Its the 2021 RT Limited. I know that is has the air suspension in the back. Every time I solo ride and stop at a light I can hear it discharge air and I can feel the Spyder lower. Then I assume as I start to move it fills back up. Is that normal? Not sure why it would feel the need to discharge when I stop at a light every time.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

You need to get that checked. Sounds to me you have a leak. Once you sit on the bike it should level out. Adding a Passenger it we'll level out again. When you turn the bike off and restart it it should relevel again. My 2014rts has a switch to add or decrease the air to the rear shock. I have had to replace the air compressor twice on my RTS. It either failed or leaked. glad both time were cover by BRP.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2018 did the same thing. Unless you can HEAR it airing down, it's not. When you stop, the weight moves forward, slightly raising the rear suspension. The self leveling system sees this and slightly adjusts to even it out. Once the bike acually stops and the system realizes this, it readjusts again. It's normal unless you can hear air hissing out or if the ride height continues to change more than just momentarily. An odd feeling, for sure, but not necessarily something to worry about.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if there is a delay built in to the leveling feature, but there <should> be.

There is no need for it to react to every stop or bump, but when it sees a different ride height for 5 or 10 seconds, yeah, go ahead and make the adjustment.

By the way, it's not an "air shock". The "shock" is a normal hydraulic unit with a coil-over spring.
    The "air" part is just a separate air bag that is a supplemental spring.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. I feel better about it now. Its not a slow leak at all just a quick small burst.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    Thanks all. I feel better about it now. Its not a slow leak at all just a quick small burst.
    That's normal. At least it was on my '18 RTL. I asked here and that was the response I got.

Spyder Garage

Normal!
    Go ride!!!!!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue