Spyder Garage

Default Plastic Restoration Products

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share my experience with plastic restoration.
    My hope is to save someone some money on an inferior product when real solutions are available.

Lets start with exterior black plastic as it is one of the easier ones...

Meguiar's Ultimate Black, Back to Black, Rustolium WipeNew, Armor-All Outlast, Turtle Wax Trim Restorer, and Vinyl Magic (along with many others) are a complete waste of your money and time. I have 1/2 full bottles that will never get used of many products. A home mix can get really close and great results but I do not recommend it (Boiled Linseed oil and mineral spirits as active ingredients)

Let me save you a lot of effort.

Cerakote Trim Coat $20 USD at time of posting

This product gives better an longer lasting results with less effort than anything I have tried. There might be competing products but this is cheap enough that I would not recommend anything else. This stuff lasts like nothing you have tried before... I would guarantee.
    Product beads water and mud, UV protection and has an amazing semi-high gloss finish. I am affiliated with no products in any way.

Caveat is that the plastic needs to be perfectly cleaned, degreased and dried prior to application.
    Dish soap, warm water, soft bristle brushes and a few microfiber cloths are generally all you will need.

Like with most things like this... prep is the most important step!

Will come back to this thread and discuss restoring colored plastic, clear plastics and painted surfaces at some point but please feel free to ask questions, discuss and correct any misinformation.

Thank you for reading!

trim_coat_with_packets_2000x.jpg

Spyder Garage

Interesting, where do I purchase this product?

Spyder Garage

Sorry Lawrence, but you'll hafta look at the post & its contents & work that out for yourself.

oh400ex has given us all a great review of his experience with this product, but he's not a sponsor here & he's not actively selling this product, he just uses it & thought that other readers here might like to know what he thinks of it.... And in doing so, AFAICS he's done a great job of keeping within the fairly strict guidelines re telling us about 'non-sponsors &/or their products' without stepping over the limits, so it'd be real a shame to ruin all that effort by turning this thread into a full blown advertorial that'd hafta be closed, wouldn't it?!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Google is our friend.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sorry Lawrence, but you'll hafta look at the post & its contents & work that out for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Google is our friend.
    Got some good answers already but I will add one thing. This is the type of company that controls the pricing to their suppliers.
    Long/short is that it doesn't matter where you buy it from as it will be the same price and approximate shipping time.
    Available from all the usual online retailers. The only way to get it cheaper than 10 pack for $20 USD is to get higher quantities.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Amazon of course. $19.95 for a "single vehicle pack." Click the link in the first post, scroll down to "Available on Amazon" and click. Magic!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I have seen using a heat gun (low) to restore Black plastic seems to work !
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

oh400ex, thanks for the information on this product! Watched the two videos they had on the web sight! Seems like an easy way to protect “new plastic” before it scratches/ fades.

Spyder Garage

Is this product only good for the plastic? Will it harm the paint on the Spyder? Love to find a way to protect both paint and plastic! Have been using LaMonter black diamond on the paint of my 2020 black F3 and will try cerakote for the plastic on my new 2021 Spyder RTL. Any advice would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Ok, applied the cerakote today on the black plastic on my new 2021 RT Limited. The coverage on new smooth plastic is great, only used three pads to do entire bike! The one thing I noticed is that it’s non forgiving on a smooth coverage, I plan on using another pad tomorrow to fill in placing I did not get full coverage. So far, nice black shine! Instructions did not say anything about harming paint? I wiped along the edges where plastic and paint meet.