Spyder Garage

Default Radio Module Went Bad - Repair/Replace Advice Needed

I was just advised my radio module went bad on my 2014 Spyder ST Limited. Can't operate the radio, won't even go from FM to AM and on the way to the dealer, realized the GPS kept cutting out too. No longer under warranty of course and will cost about $800 plus 1.5 hours labor. Just checking - as anyone else had to change their module? Was it this costly? And did it at least last, I don't want this to happen again. I'm not ready to replace the bike - made some upgrades (louder muffler, fuel/performance chip) but I really do like to listen to my ipod and find the GPS helpful if I need to break from a group ride.
    Thanks in advance,
    Maryann from New Jersey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maryann View Post
    I was just advised my radio module went bad on my 2014 Spyder ST Limited. Can't operate the radio, won't even go from FM to AM and on the way to the dealer, realized the GPS kept cutting out too. No longer under warranty of course and will cost about $800 plus 1.5 hours labor. Just checking - as anyone else had to change their module? Was it this costly? And did it at least last, I don't want this to happen again. I'm not ready to replace the bike - made some upgrades (louder muffler, fuel/performance chip) but I really do like to listen to my ipod and find the GPS helpful if I need to break from a group ride.
    Thanks in advance,
    Maryann from New Jersey
    Any part failure is possible .... But I'm a bit concerned that yours has completely failed , I think this is a little unusual ..... Do you know anyone who is familiar with Spyders ? ..... other than your Dealer ..... you wouldn't be the first Woman to be taken advantage of. .... It's a shame but not un-common. .... I have been treated as though I'm a Moron at more than one dealership. ..... I can't really diagnose your issue, but this could be something aa small as a bad or loose connection ..... hope you get it squared away for waaaaaaaaaaaaay less than you quoted ..... good luck .... Mike .... PS you about 36 miles from my Sister .... She lives in Spotswood

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure what caused your radio to fail. $800 is a lot of money.
    I rarely use my radio, preferring to get the tunes from an MP3 player.
    I'm assuming your GPS is a Zumo of some flavor.
    You might consider using your Zumo as a blue tooth hub and using that as a source for music/phone and use bluetooth headsets(s). With a chip, you can add all your music from your ipod.
    My 2014 had some bad LED interference, I wound up bypassing the OEM audio entirely using the set-up I mentioned.
    Thankfully, the 2020 is built better.
    I've always liked the headsets better, easier to hear the tunes, and the headset provides more communication options (bike to bike, bike to passenger, cell phone etc).
    And as a representative of the biking community, you're far FAR less obnoxious at stoplights.
    Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm sure someone here will be sure to let me know just how wrong I am.

P.S. I see you're from NJ. What exit ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the fast response. I will check on other dealers in the area. Have heard that the modules do go bad, some have actually replaced them when their bikes were new. I had an auto mechanic friend do some other upgrades on the bike - could be why I was quoted so much, dealer may not have been happen I didn't use him. I found the part for $200 - $300 less on-line.

Funny having your sister live so close. Ironically, our first dog was a English Bulldog, have an Old English Bulldog now (mix of English, Bull Mastiff, American and Pitbull).

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the fast response. I do think it failed - have seen some posts about it and actually found that the radio module was changed since they originally made the bike. I mentioned not being able to switch AM to FM, but it also wouldn't switch to the AUX. I couldn't keep the GPS charged either, that kept cutting out - the radio module is used to play the GPS. I was always using my ipod anyway and that won't work either. Still looks like I need the electric power supplied to the GPS (center mounted) and is controlled by the radio module. Will keep looking into it.

P. S. Went to school at U-HA (University of Hartford) my freshman year, and what exit was always asked. Live far from the GSP, and there are actually two exits whether coming from the North or the South.