Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT S Dash Panel - replacing the gauge holes with...??

This winter I will be removing the dash panel to have it hydro-dipped. My intend is to replace the fuel gauge with a usb port. Will I be able to leave the right side blank, using a 52mm plug, or do I need to have some kind of device there to make everything work? If so I am looking for suggestions on what to install as I have not found, yet, anything I like. I know the gauges both have to be there to work.

Thanks

Fred

Spyder Garage

As long as you remove both gauges that's all you have to do to make the fuel and temp digital gauges work. You can use a 52 mm blank in the spot you don't want to fill. That's why I haven't removed the analog ones; don't know what I'd want to replace them with.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    As long as you remove both gauges that's all you have to do to make the fuel and temp digital gauges work. You can use a 52 mm blank in the spot you don't want to fill. That's why I haven't removed the analog ones; don't know what I'd want to replace them with.
    I'll be putting in a usb port, as I use my phone to stream music and also as gps. If I'm using both battery runs out rather quickly. Thanks for your input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is my understanding that if you remove one gauge, the other one still works.
    If you remove BOTH gauges, they will be replaced by digital versions in the main cluster.

What would make that a bit "interesting" would be if you wanted to put your charging ports on the left, where the fuel gauge is. When you remove the fuel gauge, you will obviously lose its function, and until you also remove the water temp gauge, you won't know how much fuel is in the tank.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

We replaced the analog gauges on both our RTs with a dual USB port on the left side and a digital voltmeter on the right side. There is a detailed video in the "How To" section that very clearly explains how the change is accomplished. We followed the instructions and everything worked as expected.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BearX16 View Post
    This winter I will be removing the dash panel to have it hydro-dipped. My intend is to replace the fuel gauge with a usb port. Will I be able to leave the right side blank, using a 52mm plug, or do I need to have some kind of device there to make everything work? If so I am looking for suggestions on what to install as I have not found, yet, anything I like. I know the gauges both have to be there to work.

Thanks

Fred
    I have a 14 RT ( basic ) ... I didn't have those gauges so mine was a bit easier ... I used a couple of small metal tops from two small glass jars ... I added two 12v. receptacles .... When I painted " Deanna777's " dash " Cognac " I removed Her gauges .... What I learned was BRP doesn't give you much wire or room to work with ... If you have angled needle nose pliers it will be much easier ( straight ones will work also ) ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you want USB this is sooo easy and u can keep ur gauges. Pierre has a video but I like the red light and voltmeter -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

When I disconnected my gauges, I installed a round base RAM mount on one side securing it using the bracket that held the gauge in place. On the other side I bought the proper hole blank from my Spyder dealer for about $7. Drilled the blank so I could install a flip-up voltmeter with a USB port to power my phone.20201029_192503.jpg
    2017 RT Limited , White