Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Harley News

Spyder Garage

Default Big Harley News

An article in today's Wall Street Journal reports new CEO, Jochen Zeitz, hired from Puma, the athletic footwear and clothing firm, is ditching the small displacement bikes, reducing about 30% of the models in its lineup and focusing on the models it can lard up with all kinds of options that he wants core customers to pay full price or more for these most expensive and profitable bikes. He says he aims to cut at least 100 dealerships of the current 700 or so nationwide and is dismantling some overseas operations including the factory in India and will focus on more established markets such as Japan and Europe. The company is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to close underperforming stores. The company has laid off 500 workers, about 10% of its workforce.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Desperate times for the company calls for desperate measures. Although continuing to do what isn't working doesn't seem to be
    the wisest road. This may be too little too late.

I'll have to admit I've never understood the attraction for Harley's...underperforming, overweight, illhandling bikes have never
    appealed to me.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those are drastic measures gonna cost HD a bundle, but they must change something. Newbie CEOs look at what's working, the products producing the profit line, cut the lard and hope it works. I guess motorcycle biz is tough these days and getting tougher. Seems HD dealers is the only stores that just does one brand, we all know the 'other' stores are loaded with every conceivable recreational vehicle. I don't buy anything, but I go to the Harley store just to look, clean, well organized with shiny motorcycles. Yeah, I look at the price tags too, yikes!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Yeah, I look at the price tags too, yikes!
    It’s not the price of the machine that bothers me, considering the price of my RTL. It’s the $10,000 worth of Harley clothes and gear you have to buy to fit in...

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, so true, so true, and if ya get out of the Harley business, another financial road bump.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    It’s not the price of the machine that bothers me, considering the price of my RTL. It’s the $10,000 worth of Harley clothes and gear you have to buy to fit in...
    I'd have to gain 150 lb. too to fit into the gear to fit in with the crowd.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    An article in today's Wall Street Journal reports new CEO, Jochen Zeitz, hired from Puma, the athletic footwear and clothing firm, is ditching the small displacement bikes, reducing about 30% of the models in its lineup and focusing on the models it can lard up with all kinds of options that he wants core customers to pay full price or more for these most expensive and profitable bikes. He says he aims to cut at least 100 dealerships of the current 700 or so nationwide and is dismantling some overseas operations including the factory in India and will focus on more established markets such as Japan and Europe. The company is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to close underperforming stores. The company has laid off 500 workers, about 10% of its workforce.
    Didn't Harley do this already when they were bought by AMF ??
    I don't think that worked out very well.

I thought Harley was on to something when they started making smaller less expensive (hopefully entry level) bikes.
    This just seems bad on all fronts.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The new CEO is 57 and in the article he said he knows he is aging but he feels like riding. I think, however, he underestimates the desire, physical condition and income situations of older American folks. How many middle age Americans want to assume a perpetual loan for a $40K+ motorcycle, turning one over every few years to have the latest doodads on a machine that just gets harder to handle each year unless one spends every waking hour when not riding at a gym to stay strong enough to handle 900 lb. machine. Most younger folks, even it they can afford 'em, are afraid of their own shadows, let alone a big, noisy machine that could kill them.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

One thing about Harley, they have Dealers, parts, and Tech's to fix them! I never had to wait for one of my harley's to get serviced or repaired! The Dealer didn't have to call the manufacture to get permission to fix it!
    In the 3 Spyders I have owned, there has been a wait time to even get BRP to agree to send the parts to repair them! Harley has problems and will have a tough time getting thru them, and may not survive! They have forgot the customers who made them great! Spyder on the other hand, need to work on keeping dealers with so many dropping the Spyder line from their dealerships! Help customers with service and parts, and admit when they have a poor quality part, and get a new supplier with better quality! Spyder has something special if BRP would wake up, promoted it, search for quality dealers, and for God sake get your Spyder back on the road without all the red tape! I on my 3rd Spyder and that is my two cents worth!

Spyder Garage

This one might be HD's last hurrah. Personally, I don't see them succeeding with the "new" strategy. I will give the new CEO about six months before he gets canned.

I have had almost 50 assorted bikes since 1965. From 80cc one lunger to 2000 cc Cruiser...with three or four "touring" bikes in between.

Forget about the six Spyders here.

I never drank the Kool-aid when it came to HD. I looked at them twice. Did not like the ergos, the shaking, or even the noise. I even tried to make a deal on the first Tri-Glide in 2010. It was selling for a $5K premium over MSRP. No deals or non-HD trades, that's the way we do it the dealer said. It was easy to walk.

I also do not go for "branded" gear anymore. I have chaps, vests, and leather jackets. They look as "biker" as I care to be. No $10K in that kind of stuff for me. The only thing missing is the HD brand. WC: (who cares).
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-27-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Watch South Park S13E12. The episode explains a big part of why HD is dying a slow death. I've been riding on & off since 1965 on many different brands. The few folks I know with HDs are 1) old, 2) committed to the 'culture', and 3) quitting riding or moving to 3-wheels because of the fear of having to pick up a half-ton cow. Hard to see the future for HD.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HD may well be served to get their leaning reverse trike design up and out of mothballs and consider production. Make an entry-level unit to start, then design a tour model later. Just the opposite of what BRP did, and then beat them at their own game. Hands down HD has it over BRP when it comes to dealerships, parts, and service as mentioned above. Stay with what works and build upon that. JMHO By the way, build something that is customer friendly both financially operationally. Don't send the consumer out the door with something that will generate poor reviews.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    HD may well be served to get their leaning reverse trike design up and out of mothballs and consider production. Make an entry-level unit to start, then design a tour model later. Just the opposite of what BRP did, and then beat them at their own game. Hands down HD has it over BRP when it comes to dealerships, parts, and service as mentioned above. Stay with what works and build upon that. JMHO By the way, build something that is customer friendly both financially operationally. Don't send the consumer out the door with something that will generate poor reviews.
    Based on the success that BRP has had with the Ryker, your idea above sounds good.

Ryker is "plain Jane" but those who have them like them a lot. At a $10K price point, another winner.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Looks like they experienced a good quarter - profits up in the 3rd qtr 39% selling 8% fewer bikes than same qtr a year ago. Probably a short term sugar high. Any platform that promotes social distancing is selling like crazy (bicycles, motorcycles etc.) Dropped my Spyder at the dealer last week for service and they were telling me they are having their best year ever. Things will get back to normal after vaccines arrive then Harley will need a broad based product line to survive. Ive owned 2 Harleys and that’s enough- too pricey, too heavy and too polarizing...found it hard to sell both.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I want there electric bicycle. I can pick it up too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    All you need is a big wallet chained to your belt loop.

Spyder Garage

Loved my 2014 Road king. Loved it even more after I had the dealer wire and install an Ultra Touring pack on the back. I had him flip the mounting plate so the backrest for the #2 became the backrest for ME! After lots of pressure from the wife to get me off 2 wheels, I sold it 2 yrs ago to an Exec from my company that was shortly retiring. Lost GOBS of money on the sale. But better to sell it than keep it in storage.

I rode the HD for 2 hrs and felt like I was beat to a pulp. NOW.. I can do 3 hrs or more on the Spyder and feel like I am just beginnign!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I'd have to gain 150 lb. too to fit into the gear to fit in with the crowd.
    Ahhhhh yes..... but for some of the larger among we Spyder riders, Jaybros, that Harley (and Indian} gear is the only gear that fits us. If you are smaller, you can buy smaller Harley gear, or Spyder gear. If you’re big and tall, you can NOT buy Spyder gear, which is pretty short sighted on BRP’s part. I am certainly not above wearing Harley jackets, pants and tshirts, for just that reason (although I’ll definitely buy Indian gear first). (

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pete, one of the things that attracted me to the Firstgear products is they have gear in long/tall sizes which is what I need, and they go to 4XL and 4XLT. Don't know if you folks can get their gear. I like it too because one can get it in high viz colors. I'm not prone to wearing a brand of gear to make a statement but am 100% focused on protecting my hide and noggin. I've yet to see a piece of Can-Am gear I would consider wearing; am totally unimpressed with it. Were I younger and in the mood for a large two wheeler I'd go Indian first too.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I'll have to admit I've never understood the attraction for Harley's...underperforming, overweight, illhandling bikes have never
    appealed to me.
    True, but when you pull in the clutch and roll on the throttle, they sound bad a$$........
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Ahhhhh yes..... but for some of the larger among we Spyder riders, Jaybros, that Harley (and Indian} gear is the only gear that fits us. If you are smaller, you can buy smaller Harley gear, or Spyder gear. If you’re big and tall, you can NOT buy Spyder gear, which is pretty short sighted on BRP’s part. I am certainly not above wearing Harley jackets, pants and tshirts, for just that reason (although I’ll definitely buy Indian gear first). (

Pete
    I’ve bought gear/clothing at Harley, I’m a whopping 5’11”, 176#, and they had my size all the way to xxl or maybe larger. I think some may be poking fun at some of the Harley riders they have seen tooling around. They come in all different sizes like Spyder riders.

Spyder Garage

With the world economy going to hell in a handbasket luxury items like Harleys will only get more expensive and less desirable.
    Only decent thing they built was the V Rod but that was too much for the faithfull to accept so a self inflicted wound if you ask me.Latest round of cuts is just more of the same crap.
    Patriotism doesn't pay the bills innovation and need would though.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Seems an odd strategy to me. Down here the expensive marques like Porsche, BMW, Audi etc. have all introduced cheaper models to our market as a way to introduce newbies to the brand and build brand loyalty. Can am have done this too with the Ryker. No way I could handle a full dress tourer these days unless it has 3 wheels however a smaller displacement model would be a possibility.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Seems an odd strategy to me...No way I could handle a full dress tourer these days unless it has 3 wheels however a smaller displacement model would be a possibility.
    When I was beginning my three wheel investigation I looked no farther at Harleys than on the web and I just couldn't see it, and I wanted no part of putting out a lot of bucks for a Wing and then some more for a trike conversion. The old Cow Town video of the Spyder RT compared to a Honda trike conversion sold me. I really wanted something like a Bonneville T120 but it wouldn't satisfy my wife and sure isn't a long distance touring bike that was my first requirement. Still have the urge for a smaller two wheeler but one of those introduced into the garage would be followed by fire and fury the likes of which I've never seen.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, you can do it on a Bonneville. I did it on '71 and '73 Bonnevilles, several round trips of 3,000 to 5,000 miles in the early seventies. You
    just can't haul a lot of stuff.

vrHelm8.jpg
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor