Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster Big Eye Mirrors + Top Cuff on a 2020 RT

I have been waiting on the OEM BRP mirror shake fix for several weeks now (dealer says the parts are on back order) so I decided to buy the Lamonster fix ($23) and I they should be here this week.

In the meantime though, I decided that the stock mirrors, even when they get fixed of the shake, are not ideal so I ordered the Big Eye Mirrors and top cuffs to see if I can get a better view of what is behind me. Stock mirrors are too low so handlebar mounts make sense to get them at shoulder level like most motorcycles.

I got them installed this weekend but I haven't had a chance to ride with them yet but here are a few pics of how they look.

The only things that were odd about the kit were the lack of instructions (nothing included nor online) and there were no plugs for the 3 open holes in each of the cuffs. It wasn't hard to figure how how it all fit together but some instructions would have been nice. As for the open holes, I bought some plugs from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which were a bit big but I got them in with a little persuasion.

I added the round blind spot mirrors - those do not come with the Lamonster mirrors.

IMG_20201023_1139361.jpg

IMG_20201023_1140165.jpg

IMG_20201024_1146054.jpg

IMG_20201026_1041520.jpg

IMG_20201026_1042479.jpg

IMG_20201024_1146594.jpg

Spyder Garage

I'm also pondering a set of top cuffs for my F3S and try some other brand of mirrors. It is kind of odd that Lamonster doesn't include hole plugs/stainless steel screws for all the open holes? Not a nice idea to get water/condensation inside the caps. Working at the local True Value, I'll just buy those there.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like you've got the same bike I've got. (Good choice. ) I'm wondering if I'm going to do the same thing on mine. I've currently got F3 bars on my bike which helps the mirror situation a little bit but I still can't see as well out of the stock mirrors as I'd like (the grips are still in the way). I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get Helibars or not. I think they raise the grips up another inch or 2 over the F3 bars which may be enough to clear the stock mirrors but I don't know. (And I'm not 100% sure I want to pay $600 for another set of bars.)

I have just one of Lamonsters top cuffs (for the drink holder) and noticed the same, that none of the holes were filled with set screws like on the previous Spyder Cuff I had on my '18. I know they're 1/4-20 so set screws should be easy enough to find to fill the holes. I'm going to look into that this weekend.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Any screw (stainless) works to plug those holes but the link to the plastic ones from Amazon give it a nice finished look - they have the same crinkle finish as the cuffs. I can't get a good close-up picture due to limitations of my camera but they blend well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Not a nice idea to get water/condensation inside the caps.
    I'm not concerned with water/condensation getting inside the caps due to no set screws. The space between the stock top/bottom caps isn't waterproof so I don't think this would be an issue. I think the set screws have 2 purposes although Lamont would have to answer to be sure. 1) I think they're decorative and 2) I think they keep dirt out of the threads in case you actually want to use the threaded holes for something in the future. Again, just my opinion and w/o Lamonts confirmation, it's just an educated guess.

Spyder Garage

Granted I am new to my spyder but the mirrors seem fine to me. I can see behind me with no problem.

Spyder Garage

I have these on my F3. Great for pulling the Mini Mate Trailer. Also like them for blindspot issues. just a little more situational awareness, never enough of that!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post

I got them installed this weekend but I haven't had a chance to ride with them yet but here are a few pics of how they look.
    The Lamonster cuff and mirrors were the first things I added to my '20 RTL. They were also the first things I removed. No amount of up/down adjustment on the mirror head would give me the rear view I want. At best, I could only see the side cases and about 8-10 feet behind unless I ducked my head down uncomfortably low. I'm not especially tall (5' 11") so don't think that's the problem. The install looked exactly like the pics in the original post, but I have been known to overlook the obvious on occasion. I'm anxiously awaiting the results of your first ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbcrum View Post
    The Lamonster cuff and mirrors were the first things I added to my '20 RTL. They were also the first things I removed. No amount of up/down adjustment on the mirror head would give me the rear view I want. At best, I could only see the side cases and about 8-10 feet behind unless I ducked my head down uncomfortably low. I'm not especially tall (5' 11") so don't think that's the problem. The install looked exactly like the pics in the original post, but I have been known to overlook the obvious on occasion. I'm anxiously awaiting the results of your first ride.
    Sounds like a possible fix would have been to rotate the bars up a little bit.

Spyder Garage

Will let you know. I am 6' with a long upper body. Like you, I don't like having to move my head just to look in the mirrors.

If you still have the cuffs, have you considered buying different mirrors? Amazon has a beaucoup of mirrors at very low prices. Just have to get the same thread size as the cuffs or the dog bone piece (can't remember off the top of my head the thread size and if they are the same thread).

Spyder Garage

I was looking at the mirrors on Amazon and one of them had this picture.

I wonder if the ones from Lamonster are adjustable like this - they look identical from the back. Heck, they all come from China and are likely made in the same place.

Maybe you could try to adjust yours? Maybe all you need is to adjust a bit more vertically. Looks like you loosen the two screws and adjust the ball downward which would give you more upward travel adjustment. I bet yours came from the factory in a more upward position.

If it does work, then Lamonster needs to include instructions with these mirrors.

EDIT: Ignore this post - I just looked at mine and they are constructed differently.

Capture.jpg

Spyder Garage

Heck .. Anyone interested in selling their SE6 top cuffs if unhappy with them ? I'm likely to buy a set next week. If so, PM me

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Sounds like a possible fix would have been to rotate the bars up a little bit.
    I later installed the Ram Mount ball (from Lamonster) on the bar clamp. Tried rotating the bars forward just a bit then, but no luck. I believe I read on the forum that they are "pinned" and can't rotate?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tried rotating the bars forward just a bit then, but no luck. I believe I read on the forum that they are "pinned" and can't rotate?
    There is a locating pin but that still allows some rotation. Probably 15* or so, maybe a bit more. Bear in mind that your grip angle will change as you rotate the bars. You may need to loosen the (4) bolts a bit more. The bars WILL rotate.

Spyder Garage

Never actually lifted the bars out of the clamp/cradle. Just wiggled them a bit and they didn't seem to want to move. I'll try again soon. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, the mirrors didn't work that well for me either - I still have to move my head.

I am going to experiment with some different mirrors but use the Lamonster cuffs. Today I ordered a short 4" diameter convex mirror off Amazon ($16). I am hoping it will position into the area beside the windscreen in my line of sight but not block the OEM mirrors.

Capture.JPG

Spyder Garage

Perfect now.

These $16 (per) mirrors off of Amazon work great but they are not "convexy" enough so I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought 2 large (3-3/4") truck blind spot mirrors ($4) that I stuck on the existing mirrors.

I don't have to look down to see the mirrors and I can see two lanes over on the interstate with a quick glance. They don't block my stock Can Am mirrors and they don't look "too much" either.

IMG_20201105_1542237.jpg IMG_20201105_1542526.jpg IMG_20201105_1543328.jpg IMG_20201103_1132284.jpg

Spyder Garage

I ordered my Top Cuffs Monday and had them on Wednesday. I also ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $4.12, to raise these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 a bit to clear nicer on the left control side. I also ordered these mirrors https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , as they look like a cheaper version of the Lamonster mirrors. The mirrors went back, as they don't offer 360* adjustment rotation. For the $$, they would have been a deal as they're decently constructed. I had Kuryakyn Heavy Industry mirrors on my H-D when I sold it. Not wanting to spend big $$ on mirrors, but I really like(d) those. I have these cheapo $13 ready to install today. We shall see ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I have been waiting on the OEM BRP mirror shake fix for several weeks now (dealer says the parts are on back order) so I decided to buy the Lamonster fix ($23) and I they should be here this week.

In the meantime though, I decided that the stock mirrors, even when they get fixed of the shake, are not ideal so I ordered the Big Eye Mirrors and top cuffs to see if I can get a better view of what is behind me. Stock mirrors are too low so handlebar mounts make sense to get them at shoulder level like most motorcycles.
    Do these mirrors rotate up-down-right-left or are they fixed
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-06-2020 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_from_ny View Post
    Do these mirrors rotate up-down-right-left or are they fixed
    If you are asking about the Big Eye Mirrors then yes they rotate around 360 degrees and they do have up and down adjustment but the up-down adjustment is fairly limited. There is a swivel ball in the back of the mirror so they run out of adjustment when the ball hits the edge of the socket.

Spyder Garage

Cheapo mirror job complete. The $4 small risers help quite a bit. $13 mirrors work nicely. I'll probably play around with other mirrors over time tho..
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Will these Lamonster top cuffs fit on a '21 RT? Looking at my cuffs there is no top hole for attachments. Is the purpose of the top cuffs to add that? Interested in another mirror option. Even after the BRP dealer fix for the mirror I still have some shake but not sure if its the mirrors or the bike itself.

Spyder Garage

Never mind my question, figured it out. I like WilcoJuno idea of mirrors and will try that route.

Spyder Garage

Perfect now.

These $16 (per) mirrors off of Amazon work great but they are not "convexy" enough so I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought 2 large (3-3/4") truck blind spot mirrors ($4) that I stuck on the existing mirrors.

I don't have to look down to see the mirrors and I can see two lanes over on the interstate with a quick glance. They don't block my stock Can Am mirrors and they don't look "too much" either.

IMG_20201105_1542237.jpg IMG_20201105_1542526.jpg IMG_20201105_1543328.jpg IMG_20201103_1132284.jpg
    After having the round mirror for awhile is that still your choice over an oblong shaped mirror? I just ordered this mirror and hardware, can return it if I don't like it but I think your combo may work on my '21 RT.

Spyder Garage

IIRC, WilcoJuno sold his mirrors due to lack of adjustability. For not much of an investment, I might try these .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...EAAOSwK~da2Vg8

2022 RT Sea To Sky