Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    This was beyond inexcusable.
    100%
    As MONK as others have said... you have to fight this. They're always going to try and get you as it's part of their job description.

If I knew a non dealer to replace the frame I presume I would save a lot but then the question is what else got damaged. A drop is harder for me to understand than a collision.
    A drop is very similar to a collision. Likely to be more minor all things considered.
    Are you sure the frame is even available first?

The dealer will be cost prohibitive. That won't be a viable option IMO. The possible paths are have an indy fix it, sell as complete bike, part it out or pay the dealer more than the value of a replacement. Only selling as a complete bike with the intention of putting it back on the road and having an independent mechanic fix are good choices. Otherwise you pay too much or the bike's legacy ends and it just becomes a pile of parts. Sad...

I hope you can fix it.
    My recommendation? Find if the frame is actually available. If you can buy the frame yourself and have it swapped it will be no biggie. Tell the dealer to kick rocks. Take it to an independent Honda guy. We could do that swap here but have plenty of projects ahead of it. Need to find someone close so you can see the progress and answer questions in person.

PM me some pictures of the damage and I'll give you a much better idea what you are working with... we haven't even discussed repairing the frame...

If it makes financial sense, I could potentially come stay in a hotel for a few days while I did the swap and still end up cheaper than BRP lol

Spyder Garage

Here is the estimate from the dealer for repairs.

0C3BC075-E356-4E4E-8BC4-47194314E866.jpg
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

THEY ARE NOT EVEN REPLACING THE FRAME???!!!??

This has to be a typo... frame painting and frame support... that's the price to fix it.... not to do a frame swap....

Robbery! Under no circumstances should you consider that an option. PM me for more info...

Edit: Frame Painted looks to be a part tag. Would be the actual replacement frame. How much to buy yourself if that's the case... 35 hrs at $116 USD per hour... no thank you. Still robbery even if they are doing a frame swap IMO. Way too much to be feasible

Spyder Garage

You can go the frame route but my gut is saying it will never be the same, and there will be trouble down the road! Time for a little soul searching and maybe a new ride! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I bet the parts list will double or triple in length if the work actually goes forward.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If taken as read that estimate doesn't even make sense to me.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

They have offered me about half what a new replacement bike would cost. My attorney is writing them a demand letter and we will go from there. I went to take all the good stuff left on my bike today. Sad. It looks so much sleeker and more modern than the new models. I am sure I will be happy riding an F3 or RT but I sure don’t like their looks. To see my beauty sitting there abandoned waiting for a wrecker in the days to come just makes 2020 the perfect year.

I noticed the frunk on the F3 is tiny. And the nose of the RT is now more attractive than the F3 or Ryker. The salesperson (who was awful) seemed to think the Ryker with 900cc engine would be like a skateboard to me. It does seem a bit toy like. I am curious about the weights of the F3 and RT. The bigger engine is great but if the weights are bloated I wonder about performance. Curiously only the Ryker lists its weights in the brochures.

Spyder Garage

They have offered me about half what a new replacement bike would cost. My attorney is writing them a demand letter and we will go from there. I went to take all the good stuff left on my bike today. Sad. It looks so much sleeker and more modern than the new models. I am sure I will be happy riding an F3 or RT but I sure don’t like their looks. To see my beauty sitting there abandoned waiting for a wrecker in the days to come just makes 2020 the perfect year.

I noticed the frunk on the F3 is tiny. And the nose of the RT is now more attractive than the F3 or Ryker. The salesperson (who was awful) seemed to think the Ryker with 900cc engine would be like a skateboard to me. It does seem a bit toy like. I am curious about the weights of the F3 and RT. The bigger engine is great but if the weights are bloated I wonder about performance. Curiously only the Ryker lists its weights in the brochures.
    The dry weights per the specs for 2020 are: F3L 988 #, RTL 1021 #'s.

When F3 came out I thought it looked like the the front end of a Dodge Truck. I held off buying until 2019. I did not like the ergos on previous visits so held off and posted many times that I did not like the F3.

I quickly changed my mind once it was delivered and I started riding. Yes, I bought the latest one not test driven or even seen up close and personal. The deal was what caused me to jump in. Now compared to the RT, I like the F3 better.

PS, I also had a GS 2008 and a RS 2009. I would say the peppiness is comparable, but the ride is a bit more comfortable. Like going from a Chevy to a Cadillac.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A4B4D456-3670-44A3-9602-CAAB2E7AAFA5.jpgA4B4D456-3670-44A3-9602-CAAB2E7AAFA5.jpg92E0E96A-5CBD-4A82-93CF-E20E60AC7E81.jpg

Some of you have asked to see the bike on that fateful day. This is how the bike wound up when the ramp collapsed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ahhh. A classic case of "didn't anchor the ramp to the truck".

I used to move furniture and used ramps like those for simply walking into the truck while carrying furniture. We ALWAYS used a strap to make sure the ramp did not slide away like that one. That practice has continued to this day, with folding ramps, pickups and trailers. My sons have been doing it, too, since one of them had a ramp slip out, against my suggestion to use a strap.

Did that happen while going in or coming out?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Going in. They showed up the first day with no idea how to load it and this other fellow came back day two with this recipe for failure. We finally loaded it on his truck with the help of a wrecker who lifted it up to the level of his truck and it rolled right in. Too late for the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Going in.
    I had guessed as much. Without a strap to anchor the ramp to the truck, the rear wheel would simply drive the ramp away. The concept of three ramps was great, they just need to be strapped to the truck.

Just out of curiosity, how did the wrecker lift the bike? What lift points were used?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh my, that's just awful. These people are supposed to be professionals doing what they do every day; the carrier 'should' strep up to the plate and make it right for the customer. Assume these movers are 'self insured', hope your attorney's demand letter helps.

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to see but man... that thing is in perfect shape. It will live again.

If you part that out or sell to someone who is going to that will be such a shame.

I'll tell you this... if that was mine... I would fix the frame. The damage is not bad enough to need a new one IMO

These pictures are great if you want it to live!

Edit: I was picturing it so much worse... would be cautiously excited if I was you!

Spyder Garage

It was a flatbed. The bike rolled up at ground level and lifted straight up to the level of the moving truck. A good plan if done originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I had guessed as much. Without a strap to anchor the ramp to the truck, the rear wheel would simply drive the ramp away. The concept of three ramps was great, they just need to be strapped to the truck.

Just out of curiosity, how did the wrecker lift the bike? What lift points were used?

Spyder Garage

My concern is of course any hidden damage but really more the rebuild. The wiring harness. Electronics. I can imagine a lot of other issues that fortunately never happened with this bike. I read a lot stories about problems with limp mode and the electronics. The shop gives a 90 day warranty but I am not sure that will cover all the other stuff that they might get wrong. I wish there was the equivalent of a home warranty. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by oh400ex View Post
    I am sorry to see but man... that thing is in perfect shape. It will live again.

If you part that out or sell to someone who is going to that will be such a shame.

I'll tell you this... if that was mine... I would fix the frame. The damage is not bad enough to need a new one IMO

These pictures are great if you want it to live!

Edit: I was picturing it so much worse... would be cautiously excited if I was you!

Spyder Garage

Gee Whiz... Bad News. I hate to say "It" Happens but "it" does.

I built Total Loss Cars for years. In many cases, I have Driven them from the Insurance Auction to the Shop. Hit the U-Squirt-M Car Wash, pressure wash the Insurance Auction Numbers off (and scrape) along with Mud or dirt and Down The Road!

BEFORE You Abandon the Bike, I'd find someone with Motorcycle Crash experience and smoke it over. How Bad Is The Damage? I don't see dropping 4' as the same as 35 mph impact. I Understand From an Insurance Standpoint "IS IT DAMAGED? Scratched, Bent or Dented. Then Replace or Repair." Be aware, no matter what they did or how bad the damage is, They Will Not Pay You For a Brand New One.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Frame damage ????

A4B4D456-3670-44A3-9602-CAAB2E7AAFA5.jpgA4B4D456-3670-44A3-9602-CAAB2E7AAFA5.jpg92E0E96A-5CBD-4A82-93CF-E20E60AC7E81.jpg

Some of you have asked to see the bike on that fateful day. This is how the bike wound up when the ramp collapsed.
    Now that I've seen all the pics, I have had this happen to me. .... this occurred about 20,000 miles ago to my 2014 RT. ... There was paint damage of course, but I haven't found any reason to believe the FRAME got BENT .... It handles the same as before and my tire Wear is as prior to incident. ........ your's may or may not be similar ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The shop gives a 90 day warranty but I am not sure that will cover all the other stuff that they might get wrong. I wish there was the equivalent of a home warranty. Lol
    Your warranty is that if the work goes sideways you haven't lost a dime... you can resell to the next person for cost if you don't end up back on it!

I'm excited for you! lol

My attitude would be "just a matter of how works best but that thing is going back on the road".

Spyder Garage

Many things have changed since this jingle was written. No one seems to care anymore. The jingle was a staple on radio when I was a kid.

"Bekins men are careful, quick, and kind
    Bekins takes a load off of your mind
    Moving heavy stuff or a fragile fixture
    A Bekins man is a moving picture
    We're the best-trained moving men around
    In the moving business Bekins men are pros
    And pros means poetry
    In moving"

I've asked for a refund on the amount of 2020 I have not been able to use.
    "Get in line".

Spyder Garage

I agree with several of the expressed opinions that this accident doesn't really appear to be enough to bend the frame. It could have, mind you, but I'm skeptical. I also agree about another opinion before it junked since you're so attached to it. It could just be a case of improper repair estimation rather than actual damage.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hurts to see those pics !

Spyder Garage

The shop won’t store for me anymore so it’s coming home tomorrow. I did ask how they ascertained the bent frame and they said they eyeballed it. Makes me wonder.

Does anyone know a rebuilder who could truly judge and repair the bike if need be? The shop in Tulsa is losing their Can Am certified mechanic in January anyhow so I need another option.

I can truck it to somewhere within reason. I am in Oklahoma. I am still not convinced it should be driven any distance and I think the frame should be measured not eyeballed.

As far as what we are after our position is that this is not an accident but pure negligence and the bike should be replaced not valued for it’s worth today. Attorney stuff.

Spyder Garage

As far as what we are after our position is that this is not an accident but pure negligence and the bike should be replaced not valued for it’s worth today. Attorney stuff.
    Perfect negotiating position when it comes to insurance. You are correct. You need REPLACEMENT cost and that is higher than the KBB or NADA value.