Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad day.

Spyder Garage

Default Sad day.

My beautiful 2009 GS SE5 was dropped off the moving truck by Bekins. All I could see was a smashed tail light and some damage to the rear end but it landed on the hard edge of the truck right under the engine.

They bent the frame and the bike is totaled. I have full replacement cost insurance but doubt they will be fair. This was pure negligence and gross incompetence on their part.

I really loved that bike and put a lot into it as we all did in the days when there was only aftermarket. Very sad.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

so sorry to her as if 2020 hasn’t been bad enough :banghead were you considering looking at the 2020’s before hopefully things can turn around for you.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ouch! My sympathies from down under, hope the mob who did this make amends
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That really sucks, how could Bekins make such a horrible mistake? Thy should pay 'full restitution', pain and suffering as well. Egads!

Spyder Garage

My condolences for the loss of a special bike. And now... with replacement insurance and hopefully payment from Belkin... it will be time to look forward to starting over with a new bike. It won't be the same, but hopefully, it will still be great.

Gina J

Spyder Garage

Wonder what the bike's fate is from here... insurance auction?

Can you buy the bike from the insurance company?

Would come get it and give the parts a great home at the right price. Hopefully it doesn't end up in the crusher.
    Got to be a lot of usable stuff there... sorry for your loss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    My beautiful 2009 GS SE5 was dropped off the moving truck by Bekins. All I could see was a smashed tail light and some damage to the rear end but it landed on the hard edge of the truck right under the engine.

They bent the frame and the bike is totaled. I have full replacement cost insurance but doubt they will be fair. This was pure negligence and gross incompetence on their part.

I really loved that bike and put a lot into it as we all did in the days when there was only aftermarket. Very sad.
    Sorry to hear of the unfortunate accident. Welcome back though after such a long time. We have missed you. Hopefully, the "full replacement cost" insurance will be a helpful factor for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear.

Spyder Garage

I think I remember that bike and you as well, sorry to hear about your bike!
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I got the settlement letter from the moving company today. Not enough to replace the bike.

I talked to the service manager though and he claimed I could replace the frame for about $1600 plus labor which is about $4500. This is news to me. I was not aware a frame could be replaced. Can anyone advise me if this is a safe and sensible thing to do? I thought a bent frame on any vehicle was that vehicles demise. Of course the service manager also said they had not evaluated anything else on the bike so no telling what else is wrong.

Advice appreciated.

And also hello to old friends. I know it’s been awhile.

Spyder Garage

A frame can certainly be replaced!

There are some possible pitfalls that potentially have not been mentioned...

Wiring Harness would be a large concern for me.
    When you transfer this component between frames it may suffer some damage even if everything is done right due to work-hardened wires.
    It can be incredibly expensive to find and fix if something gets shorted.

Other bent components...
    There is likely damage to a-arms, swingarm, steering stem, handlebars etc. I would assume the rest of the project at that labor rate would make it cost prohibitive.

How well set for a shop are you?
    This is something a competent and well equipped non-spyder mechanic would be able to figure out.
    I am new to the forum so have likely missed if you already mentioned.

Wish you the best with whatever route you decide to take!

Edit: CCP does not have the frame listed as available (705201987)... are you sure the dealer can get new part?
    Also just wanted to add that a frame being bent does not mean the bike will never be safe to ride again. It could theoretically be repaired and reinforced in a way that makes it stronger than stock.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

You bring up a number of good points. This is way beyond my expertise. Your comment about a non Spyder mechanic confuses me a bit. Why would a non Spyder mechanic be of value? Currently it is at Tulsa Supersports and that is the only resource I know.

It sounds like there are a number of pitfalls and I am not sure how to avoid them though it does appear the bike is mine plus the funds they are sending me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    You bring up a number of good points. This is way beyond my expertise. Your comment about a non Spyder mechanic confuses me a bit. Why would a non Spyder mechanic be of value? Currently it is at Tulsa Supersports and that is the only resource I know.

It sounds like there are a number of pitfalls and I am not sure how to avoid them though it does appear the bike is mine plus the funds they are sending me.
    Well that part is good. Silver lining.

My comment was of the mindset of someone who is a competent and well equipped mechanic who is used to working on small engines could perform the swap for you. This is not the type of thing you would have to be familiar with a Spyder to be able to complete. What I am saying is that an independent non-brp mechanic could do a frame swap and potentially save a lot of money.

Edit: IMO you will either find an independent to fix it, or it really is totalled. Sounds to me that you will be in it at least 5k and likely closer to 10k at that labor rate. $4500 for a frame swap is actual robbery...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: 'an independent'

Spyder Garage

My 2000 GMC C-3500 SLE Dually pickup truck was totaled in a head-on wreck (not my fault, other driver coming my way made a sudden illegal left-hand turn not 20 feet in front of me with a pickup almost as large as my own!)... I bought my truck back from insurance for salvage even though the passenger's side frame was accordioned at the transmission mount and un-repairable, then had a reputable shop replace the entire frame and put a new front clip on and paint to match. Best decision I ever made, I still own and drive this truck TODAY and at over 20 years old (the truck, not me) people still think it's a brand new pickup truck.

You have an emotional investment in that bike, don't discount what that costs to replace (impossible to replace!).... if it can be reasonably rebuilt go ahead and do so IMHO! You will be so happy to have YOUR bike back!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

That's a tough position to be in.
    A frame can be replaced on a Spyder (or other motorcycle)
    The frames are separate structures and not built like a car with unibody construction.
    Still, it's no mean feat and I'd be concerned that something wasn't screwed up in the rebuild.
    The question is, how much do you have invested emotionally into the bike ?
    From a technical standpoint, I think you might enjoy an ST from 2013 or so.
    Or consider an F3 or an RT to upgrade to the new 1330 engine.

I'm just thinking that, if you were able to do the work for love, and pay nothing for the labor like they do on those DIY TV shows, you might make out OK.
    If you need to pay someone for their work, you're probably better off just getting another vehicle.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take the money and buy something else if you like. You dont know what hidden damage has been done besides the frame.
    Its probably going to cost a lot more than your willing to spend on it.

Take off what you can and sell it off.

The new 1330's are pretty nice these days.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dochands---Bear in mind that the insurance companys 1st offer is just that. An offer. It's the start of negotiations. You tell the claim examiner that this was a one of a kind bike that held sentimental value for you due to xxxxxx. Tell them that the offer they made cannot replace this. Mention some of the comments here and your own research. You'd found a place that can replace the frame but there may be other components damaged that you can't see. Wear them down. They're going to tell you their offer is final. Unless you HAVE TO HAVE the money RIGHT NOW (like you would if this was your only mode of transportation), you have time to negotiate. It's winter. There would have been less riding right now anyway. Again, don't accept their 1st offer. Wear them down. Let them know you're not in a hurry to settle and you have no problem waiting until.....forever to get what you want. Decide what amount you think is reasonable then when they get close to that amount, take it and never look back.

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind it will almost certainly have a salvage/reconstruction title even with new frame.

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear. They really can get to be OLD FRIENDs. Hope your insurance works out.
    Sometimes a lawyer can be of help. I agree with MONK - their first response is just that. A starting place for negotiations.
    Good luck.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That SUCKS !!!!
    I am just wondering..... Why would a household mover be moving a vehicle ? Bekins did a move for my
    mother and trashed a dresser and a dining room table...If they can't move furniture without trashing it
    why would anyone think it's a good idea to trust them with a motorcycle. Time to hire a lawyer...
    It will cost more than the Spyder is worth to rebuild it and you will end up with a SALVAGE TITLE making
    it worth about 50% less than one just like it that has never been damaged.
    I feel your pain.... Bummer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    That SUCKS !!!!
    I am just wondering..... Why would a household mover be moving a vehicle ? Bekins did a move for my
    mother and trashed a dresser and a dining room table...If they can't move furniture without trashing it
    why would anyone think it's a good idea to trust them with a motorcycle. Time to hire a lawyer...
    It will cost more than the Spyder is worth to rebuild it and you will end up with a SALVAGE TITLE making
    it worth about 50% less than one just like it that has never been damaged.
    I feel your pain.... Bummer.
    When I moved from AK to AR last summer, The mover brought all three of my motorcycles. 2 Spyders and the Vulcan. One got damaged. They broke off the mirror on the 14-RT.

Unhijack:

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for your loss. I have 09 SE5 I feel for you

Spyder Garage

Moved a BMW 1200 a number of years ago and they snapped a tail light. The mover rode and knew how to box and pack the bike but **** happens. No big deal.

This was beyond inexcusable. The moving company won’t budge. I have the check. Uncashed. I hope to subrogate that amount under my actual motorcycle insurance. And I am hoping Liberty Mutual will be more reasonable. The dealership is working up an estimate for a complete restoration. And my attorney is at the ready. An F3-S would be a decent substitute though I don’t love the front grill of any of the new models. Is there some sort of aftermarket add on to hide that unattractive grill?

I appreciate all of your advices and your sympathies. If I knew a non dealer to replace the frame I presume I would save a lot but then the question is what else got damaged. A drop is harder for me to understand than a collision.