Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sad day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Eyeballed it" Now that sounds a bit sketchy to put it nicely. Unless it is really obvious. It doesn't look like that kind
    of damage resulted from those pictures. But it is possible.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    The shop won’t store for me anymore so it’s coming home tomorrow. I did ask how they ascertained the bent frame and they said they eyeballed it. Makes me wonder.

Does anyone know a rebuilder who could truly judge and repair the bike if need be? The shop in Tulsa is losing their Can Am certified mechanic in January anyhow so I need another option.

I can truck it to somewhere within reason. I am in Oklahoma. I am still not convinced it should be driven any distance and I think the frame should be measured not eyeballed.

As far as what we are after our position is that this is not an accident but pure negligence and the bike should be replaced not valued for it’s worth today. Attorney stuff.
    " eye balled " it .....now that statement scares the cr*p out of me ..... I don't know if you read post #44 ( there was no acknowledgement from you ) ..... put a straightedge to the Frame. ... and SLOWING driving it should tell you something .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

A wheel alignment check by a qualified shop might be a good check to reveal any damage. Especially if it was previously laser aligned, and particularly with the way it landed on the rear wheel.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The shop won’t store for me anymore so it’s coming home tomorrow. I did ask how they ascertained the bent frame and they said they eyeballed it. Makes me wonder.

Does anyone know a rebuilder who could truly judge and repair the bike if need be? The shop in Tulsa is losing their Can Am certified mechanic in January anyhow so I need another option.

I can truck it to somewhere within reason. I am in Oklahoma. I am still not convinced it should be driven any distance and I think the frame should be measured not eyeballed.

As far as what we are after our position is that this is not an accident but pure negligence and the bike should be replaced not valued for it’s worth today. Attorney stuff.
    I'd give Lamont (Lamonster, the site owner) a call and inquire with him. He's in Missouri, not too far from you. He should be able to help with either physical assistance or just guidance. He a great guy and super knowledgeable.

As to the 'ol eyeball method of frame checking. Yeah, no. As stated unless it's SUPER obvious that's not adequate. A straight edge is okay, but now-a-days they use lasers to check frame straightness at body shops. You could check with a local autobody shop that does unibody frame repairs (It's not a unibody construction, but they usually have the latest state of the art equipment.) and see if they'll give a look-see. Once on a lift it should be reasonably easy for them to check most everything with minimal body panel removal.

Just a thought or two.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I know Lamont from rallies back in the day. I think that is a good idea. Talking to the shop here apparently there are not a lot of high tech options for motorcycles and not any rebuild shops for Spyders. Their diagnosis is based on one thing and that is the visual bend in the frame. They did not check the swing arms or anything else it appears.

I know there are people out there who rebuild and restore classics. Not sure what is in Oklahoma. I guess I have some time to figure it out while we negotiate with the moving company. Meanwhile I guess some cautious rides around the town might tell me something though I am not sure what sort of issues I can expect. I keep hearing about ‘weakness’ in a bent frame and not sure what that will mean in the ride or longevity of the bike.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Timan View Post
    Keep in mind it will almost certainly have a salvage/reconstruction title even with new frame.
    This usually only happens when the vehicle physically goes to the salvage yard under the insurance companys possession. Since he has the vehicle, this will not happen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    This usually only happens when the vehicle physically goes to the salvage yard under the insurance companys possession. Since he has the vehicle, this will not happen.
    If the insurance company pays out on the bike it gets totaled and therefor will need a salvage title. Usually doesn't matter who takes possession of the bike but who pays for it.

Spyder Garage

I know Lamont from rallies back in the day. I think that is a good idea. Talking to the shop here apparently there are not a lot of high tech options for motorcycles and not any rebuild shops for Spyders. Their diagnosis is based on one thing and that is the visual bend in the frame. They did not check the swing arms or anything else it appears.

I know there are people out there who rebuild and restore classics. Not sure what is in Oklahoma. I guess I have some time to figure it out while we negotiate with the moving company. Meanwhile I guess some cautious rides around the town might tell me something though I am not sure what sort of issues I can expect. I keep hearing about ‘weakness’ in a bent frame and not sure what that will mean in the ride or longevity of the bike.
    The "weakness" in the bent frame is referring to the fact that BRP uses an enclosed box frame and if bent they usually fold at the point of the bend. If there is any type of folding deformation, then the frame is junk. Technically, the only way it can be salvaged is to cut out the fold and weld in a straight part. (Gross over simplification and there are other methods that aren't as sound, but....)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Sorry, long thread.
    Is there aresolution to this yet ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RE: salvage title

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oh400ex View Post
    If the insurance company pays out on the bike it gets totaled and therefor will need a salvage title. Usually doesn't matter who takes possession of the bike but who pays for it.
    If the insurance company determines the cost of repairs is more than the value of the vehicle, they'll consider it totaled. Most of the time, the owner can buy back the vehicle as-is for 10-15% of the value. If the insurance company feels it can be repaired for less than the value, they won't total it out. Possession has nothing to do with the vehicle being "totaled".

I used to be heavily into Pontiac Fieros (I've owned 6 of them over the years). I had one that sustained minimal damage from a hit-and-run sideswipe (my Fiero was legally parked in front of my house, the drunk driver sideswiped a total of 11 vehicles before he passed out). The insurance company claimed it would cost about $3k to repair and "totaled" it out. I took their money and bought it back for around $250 (as they claimed it was only worth about $2500, HA). They said they would send me a new "salvage" title but never did. (Their loss.) There was no frame damage, only cosmetic. Due to help from a Fiero forum I've been on for 20+ years, I found the parts needed for about $500 and fixed it myself. Looked as good after the repair as it did before. (It wasn't a show car but it was damn nice.)

Spyder Garage

Or replace the entire frame? So even a slight bend makes the bike unsafe?

Spyder Garage

I wish. My attorney is just getting started. Beyond that I don’t know if repair is possible or prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Sorry, long thread.
    Is there aresolution to this yet ?

Spyder Garage

Or replace the entire frame? So even a slight bend makes the bike unsafe?
    It's really hard to say what is the best direction (replace/repair) but a frame bend of any kind usually makes the bike unsafe.
    KX really was bang on when he said you have to cut out the fold and weld in straight metal if you are going to repair.

My attorney is just getting started. Beyond that I don’t know if repair is possible or prudent.
    Prudent? I don't know but possible? 100%
    As confident as I am in the sun coming up. That thing can be fixed and ridden safely.

Spyder Garage

Just my $.02 you should also demand loss of use if they don't give you a rental until the bike is repaired. When the insurance company screwed around after my ctx was totaled I demanded and got $500 a month for the three months for loss of use. They will claim it is a recreation vehicle and so they don't have to provide a rental but actually they do if you use the bike as transportation that is not recreational.
    2011 rt , pearl white