Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tranny Slipping? Or is it just the oil?

I have the semi auto tranny in our 2019 Rt... using Lamonster's oil
    I noticed a couple time now when out on a ride the RPM's will rise about a 100 for a second or so....with no change in throttle position....almost sounds like the tranny is slipping. Doesn't do it consistently, just a few times this summer.
    Ever hear of this....thoughts?

Thanks for your time and help!!
    PW
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

I got to thinking....last year I used the factory Can Am oil and never had this happen....Now this year with this oil, I'd say this has happened 15-20 times.....Could it be the oil?
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

Was it slipping on the start of the ride, was the tranny cold?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

About 5-6 miles into the ride....my guess
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

After it warmed up did it slip? I have heard of some slippage going on, when the tranny was not warmed up! I would find it hard to believe that Lamounts oil is the cause, but that's just my thoughts!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I would agree about LaMonsters oil, I'm sure it's good stuff.
    It's just odd it never slipped once in 5,000 miles last year (factory oil) and now this year it has with his oil.
    Just trying to figure things out.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

I would do an oil and filter change back to what you were using before and see what happens. Gonna cost a bit of money, but if the issue clears up you have your answer. If the issue continues you know to research further.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Kind of what I was thinking....Just seeing if anyone else had an issue with slippage, ever.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

I just bought lamonsters oil. Haven't changed it yet. Will only be going for a short ride after since it will be going in storage for the winter. I will keep and eye on this next season.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking....Just seeing if anyone else had an issue with slippage, ever.
    No need to change filter; what little oil remains after a drain in wouldn't fill half a tea cup.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Check your oil pressure. This is exactly what my F3 was doing before the oil pump failed and the engine blew. The HCM is highly dependent on oil pressure to maintain clutch plate pressure.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

How do I check oil pressure....take to dealer?
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

How do I check oil pressure....take to dealer?
    Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are asking the question, the dealer is the answer.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

You have to remove the oil sending unit that is on the engine and install a pressure gauge. Than you can see what the pressure is while riding and see if there is any loss in pressure at all rpms.

Spyder Garage

I have the semi auto tranny in our 2019 Rt... using Lamonster's oil
    I noticed a couple time now when out on a ride the RPM's will rise about a 100 for a second or so....with no change in throttle position....almost sounds like the tranny is slipping. Doesn't do it consistently, just a few times this summer.
    Ever hear of this....thoughts?

Thanks for your time and help!!
    PW
    There is nothing in the tranny that can slip..... maybe the clutch?

Spyder Garage

Wishful thinking it was the oil!
    Did an oil Change and took it for a ride today.....Same thing, slips is 6th gear.
    Off to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say. I would imagine it's going to be there for quite sometime.
    Quick question, is the engine and tranny one unit.... I mean if they end up replacing the tranny would they have replace the whole engine too? Good thing I'm still under warranty for a couple months yet.....but we did opt for the BEST warranty when we bought it new for this reason...

P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

Yes engine and tranny is all together. It can be fixed if there is a problem.

Spyder Garage

Okay thanks for the info.!
    There is something in the tranny slipping for sure. I just hope the engine isn't being starved for oil pressure too.
    I would like think a "idiot" light would come on if the engine oil pressure drops to low..... That's never happened.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just outta curiosity, do you let off the gas when shifting? You shouldn't.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Nope.... always shift under power.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL

Spyder Garage

Couple of points if I may,1,Lamonster sells factory oil,2,spyders use a standard type motorcycle engine which they then designed a electronic shifting and clutching system for.The system is built into the clutch cover which can be taken off the side of the eng.Inside this cover is a oil pump strictly for the clutch,it uses eng oil to apply or release the clutch plates as directed by the computer.There are variuos sensors to let the comp know if the clutch did what was directed and also to know if the trans shifted into the correct gear it was told to.Im wondering if your eng is actually reving up or is the tach just telling you it is,but im sure you could tell that by the sound.If it is reving up while under a steady cruise then your clutch is slipping not the trans,thats not possible.You could have a number of problems that could cause a momentary loss of apply pressure,but the sensors are there to record these type events and the dealer can hook up their scanner and watch the goings on while driving but it would have to act up for them.Its possible that it may have set a trouble code or a pending code which may only be visible to a factory scan tool(buds unit I think its called).They're is also a filter on the side of the clutch cover that gets changed at 28k,I doubt if thats even a possibility,but if the clutch is coming apart or anything else in the trans the evidence will be in the filter.All this info starts on page 185 of the gearbox section of the factory manual.Let us know what happens please.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I would be interested in what oil you used when the problem started. You say you switched from the BRP oil to something else. The reason I ask is that once the clutch starts slipping, it's toast. Changing oil will not fix the problem. So, it is possible that the oil WAS the problem. But no longer the solution.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would be interested in what oil you used when the problem started. You say you switched from the BRP oil to something else. The reason I ask is that once the clutch starts slipping, it's toast. Changing oil will not fix the problem. So, it is possible that the oil WAS the problem. But no longer the solution.
    He was using Brp factory oil. No problem. Then used lamonsters spectral and started slipping. I was using factory brp oil. And just changed to lamonsters last fall. So will be riding soon. Hope I do not get this issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    He was using Brp factory oil. No problem. Then used lamonsters spectral and started slipping. I was using factory brp oil. And just changed to lamonsters last fall. So will be riding soon. Hope I do not get this issue.
    OK, maybe I missed that information along the way. I don't think it would be the Lamonster oil. So, we can probably take this off the table as a possible cause. The SE5 clutch is pretty bullet proof and will last a very long time as long as it is treated right and there are no component failures, of course. Always good to know the cause, if possible.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-13-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    OK, maybe I missed that information along the way. I don't think it would be the Lamonster oil. So, we can probably take this off the table as a possible cause. The SE5 clutch is pretty bullet proof and will last a very long time as long as it is treated right and there are no component failures, of course. Shifting at too low an RPM on an SE5 is also a common way to destroy the clutch. But there are other possibilities. Always good to know the cause, if possible.
    Ron it is a 2019 RT se6.