Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Modifying a pre-March, 2020 build date Shoei Neotech 2 helmet to use the SRL 2

Could be this won't pertain to anyone else in the world but on the off chance that it does.......

I recently purchased a new Shoei Neotech 2 (modular) helmet as Shoei is the only lid that fits me right out of the box. One of the quirks of this helmet is that the only BT speaker/comm system that fits well is their own proprietary SRL system (which is based on the Sena 20s). Other comm systems don't fit well because of the cutouts for the SRL controls and battery.

Any Neotech 2 build prior to March, 2019 will ONLY accept the original SRL, not the SRL 2. Neotech 2s built March, 2019 and after and all GT-Air 2s (the full face brethren) will accept either the original SRL or the new SRL 2. The ONLY difference between the 2 comm systems is the microphone. The boom microphone on the original SRL was wired directly to the left speaker as this was designed for the Neotech 2. (The GT-Air 2 wasn't out yet.) The SRL 2 has 2 interchangable mics, a boom mic for the Neotech 2 and a sticky mount mic for the GT-Air 2. They connect just forward of and to the left speaker. Both helmets have a portion of hard plastic inside the EPS with channels that accept the wiring. (Good idea, to be honest.)

All YouTube videos, forums, chatrooms, etc say you can't adapt the early Neotech 2s to the SRL 2s. They're wrong. It's a simple process that took me literally 5 minutes with a fairly dull pocket knife. With the helmet on my lap. In the middle of the night. While watching a movie.

All you need to do is cut out a small ~1" piece of the hard plastic liner in front of the left speaker cutout. I'll attach pics of the piece I removed and an after shot of the cut out section. Once you do this, you can plug in the boom mic and hook everything up like you would using the original SRL.

I know this isn't rocket science and I may be the only one on the forum with a this helmet and this comm system but figured I'd pass it along on the off chance it could help someone else.

As a side note, I've heard alot of poor reviews on the Sena 20s. Poor sound quality, tinny speakers, unable to hear music, etc. It's not the system, guys. It's the helmet. The SRL is built off of the Sena 20s. The Neotech 2 is a quality and quiet helmet (as it should be for $700). I can hear my music just fine. If you think you have a Sena 20s sound quality issue, install it in a different lid. Seriously.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I recently installed a Sena 20S in a Neotech2 and all went well. I was able to mount the unit within the black triangle area and the speakers fit without any cutting. It works well too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Monk, think that date is in 2019 not 2020. I love the mic placement, always there but never in the way. And everything just clicks in place on the newer helmets.

I agree with the quietness of the helmet. Love the aerodynamic qualities of the helmet, never seems to bobble no matter the conditions.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Monk, think that date is in 2019 not 2020.
    You are absolutely correct and thank you. I edited my post to reflect the change.

Spyder Garage

You are not alone. Been there and done that. Didn't need to modify my current GT air since I used the wired mic instead of the boom mic. You are so correct about speaker placement making a night and day difference. My wife complained about the sound quality with her new Sena while mine was fine. I moved the speaker forward just a tad and placed the thin spacers behind them. It's a miracle she claimed. She's happy which means my life is better so I'm happier. Speakers not up to snuff? Experiment with placement a bit before spending $$ on something you may not need.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Using the SRL/SRL2 on the Neotech 2/GT-Air 2, the speakers can't be moved. They're fine for me but I can see that they may be slightly out of place for some depending on where their ears are. I sure do like this lid. It's quiet, it keeps the rain out (rode in a frog strangling downpour a couple weekends ago) and most importantly, it's COMFORTABLE. I think it's the best lid I've ever had and I've had a LOT.

Spyder Garage

We have the same Neotec and SRL setup... took a little bit to carefully trim put the bit of plastic for the mic to fit but it works well and you can't tell I even modified it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black