Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New bars and NNS (Numb Nuts Syndrome)

Not sure if one is really related to the other. I've got a 2021 RT base model. When I got it, I knew the stock bars weren't going to work. I bought a set of Attitude bars from a forum member and installed them about a week ago. Awesome grip angle (thanks jetfixer for the suggestion) but not high enough. With the stock and Attitude bars, I didn't really get that NNS. Now, on my previous '18, I got it when I added the Comfort seat and kept the stock bars meaning I was leaning forward so I understand why this would happen. Fast forward to today. I had a set of stock F3T/L bars installed. Height is pretty good, I can almost see out of my mirrors but the grip angle sux. I'll ride with these for a few weeks before I decide if I need a riser for the Attitude bars (I hate the look of a riser) or I need to pony up the dough for Helibars. Anyway, on the hour ride home, I fought with NNS the whole way. I've got a backrest (Big Bike brand which will be swapped out for a Utopia one once it arrives in a few weeks). I don't feel like I was leaning forward at all. Maybe it's the way the 2020+ seat is designed, maybe it's my fat arse, maybe it's something else. I dunno but I need to do something. Rain tomorrow so I won't be riding and I rarely get a chance to ride during the week due to work so I'll go for a nice long ride next weekend and see if I can temporarily adjust my body whilst riding and see if I can pinpoint the issue.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue on a 2020+ RT and had a solution (or at least a cause). I love the RT and have no intention of getting rid of it any time soon. If I absolutely have to pony up some serious dough on either a new seat or Helibars, I will but I'd rather not waste the money on one or the other if I don't need it.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

I know someone who put Heli Bars on his new 2020 RTL. Very happy with them. Adjust in all directions. Not cheap though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I've got a backrest (Big Bike brand which will be swapped out for a Utopia one once it arrives in a few weeks). I don't feel like I was leaning forward at all. Maybe it's the way the 2020+ seat is designed, maybe it's my fat arse, maybe it's something else.
    I have been on 1 ride with the Big Bike backrest and my butt got really sore towards the end of the ride. I do not have this issue when I ride without the backrest. The problem I think is that there is not enough backward adjustment on the back rest so that my spine is tilted more forward and upright putting pressure in the wrong place on my butt. I may have to go with a different backrest - swapping one pain for another isn't an effective solution for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    I have been on 1 ride with the Big Bike backrest and my butt got really sore towards the end of the ride. I do not have this issue when I ride without the backrest. The problem I think is that there is not enough backward adjustment on the back rest so that my spine is tilted more forward and upright putting pressure in the wrong place on my butt. I may have to go with a different backrest - swapping one pain for another isn't an effective solution for me.
    That very well could be the problem. I'm a fat guy so part of that means that a backrest has to tilt back farther to accomodate my fatness just so I can sit up straight. I'm hoping my Utopia backrest shows up soon.

Spyder Garage

That very well could be the problem. I'm a fat guy so part of that means that a backrest has to tilt back farther to accomodate my fatness just so I can sit up straight. I'm hoping my Utopia backrest shows up soon.
    I've found that with a backrest (I know most folks love them) I don't shift around on the seat as much as I do without. Staying in one position produces pain and numbness. The first hint is the onset of numbness, and by then it's too late to start moving around. All the micro-shifts during a ride seem to keep the blood flowing better for me -- so there is no backrest in my future.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP back rest that is adjustable. I also changed to comfort heated set on my 2020 Rt Limited. I also changed my handle bars to the F3 stock bars. Also you can move the bars up and down some .
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I've found that with a backrest (I know most folks love them) I don't shift around on the seat as much as I do without. Staying in one position produces pain and numbness. The first hint is the onset of numbness, and by then it's too late to start moving around. All the micro-shifts during a ride seem to keep the blood flowing better for me -- so there is no backrest in my future.
    I fully get that but I have a bad back. If I don't use a backrest, I'm done. I get about an hour and my back is screaming so bad I have to stop for the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    I have the BRP back rest that is adjustable. I also changed to comfort heated set on my 2020 Rt Limited. I also changed my handle bars to the F3 stock bars. Also you can move the bars up and down some .
    The Big Bike backrest I currently have is adjustable but may not adjust back enough for me. The Utopia backrest I have on the way will work for a backrest but I still don't know if the backrest is the root of my NNS or if it's something else.

Since I couldn't ride today due to rain, I'll try to ride some after work tomorrow. I'll see if the bars can be adjusted up any.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I know someone who put Heli Bars on his new 2020 RTL. Very happy with them. Adjust in all directions. Not cheap though.
    I will second the HeliBars. I went through multiple combinations and never was comfortable until the HeliBars went on the bike. Worth Every Penny!
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
    I will second the HeliBars. I went through multiple combinations and never was comfortable until the HeliBars went on the bike. Worth Every Penny!
    Concur with the Helibars, just installed them on my F3. I had the tri-axis bars on my RT and missed them when I brought my F3. My right wrist would bother me after about a hour of riding, much better with the Helibars once you find the correct settings.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Concur with the Helibars, just installed them on my F3. I had the tri-axis bars on my RT and missed them when I brought my F3. My right wrist would bother me after about a hour of riding, much better with the Helibars once you find the correct settings.

It took me probably 5 adjustments in order to get the right feeling. I too was struggling with the wrists. Recommend leaving the plastic caps off the adjustment points until you find your goldilocks feel. Then recommend doing some riding to make sure it all feels right. I made 1 more adjustment after putting the caps on and it took a bit to get them out without marring them up.
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quick update: I moved the bars all the way up (towards the dash). I can now see out of my mirrors (only a tiny section of my jacket sleeve gets in the way...no big deal at all). The problem is the grip angle. They're WAY off with the grip ends angled up and away from me. Not sure I can live with that although I'll give it a few weeks to see. Helibars are $600. I now have (3) sets of bars I could conceivably sell to recoup part of my purchase. I'm guessing I wouldn't get more than $75/each, especially once I took shipping into consideration. That's only $225 leaving me with a set of $375 bars. That hurts less but still hurts.

Spyder Garage

Quick update: I moved the bars all the way up (towards the dash). I can now see out of my mirrors (only a tiny section of my jacket sleeve gets in the way...no big deal at all). The problem is the grip angle. They're WAY off with the grip ends angled up and away from me. Not sure I can live with that although I'll give it a few weeks to see. Helibars are $600. I now have (3) sets of bars I could conceivably sell to recoup part of my purchase. I'm guessing I wouldn't get more than $75/each, especially once I took shipping into consideration. That's only $225 leaving me with a set of $375 bars. That hurts less but still hurts.
    I purchased mine from Value City (one the site vendors) for few bucks cheaper that the manufacturer with free shipping. https://store.valueaccessories.net/H...rsF3andRT.aspx
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Value Accessories and yeah. I'm about to break down and order a set today. Buy once, cry once, I guess.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

UPDATE:

Bought the Helibars and love them. Swapped out the Big Bike backrest (which is for sale) for a Utopia. Love that, too. I'm still get NNS. I don't want to pay top dollar for a custom seat ($1500 for a RDL or $800 for a Seth Laam). Not sure if I should look for a BuRP Comfort Seat or not. I understand there's more padding but if it's in the wrong place, I will have just wasted my money. One of the other concerns I have with an aftermarket seat (RDL or Laam) is that, in order to give more support to us fat folks, they have to raise you up a little bit. One of the many reasons I traded my '18 for the '21 was that I sit a wee bit lower. Better in the curves (which I love....I ride pretty aggressively).

For those with 2020+ RTs and the BuRP Comfort seat, did you have NNS before you added the Comfort seat and did this cure it? Any other thoughts?

Spyder Garage

I really tried to love the Helibars but I just can't.

First off the quality was outstanding and I think they make a great product. The cost is way to high for what you get IMO. I think it should be at $349 - $399 max. I don't think the look fits my 21 RTL but I could live with that.

The biggest issue for me is even with all the adjustments I could not get it right. I got then installed in 10 minutes and spent over 6 hours trying to adjust it. I feel I would always think there is a better position. Its just my personality. Moving the stock bar toward to the front was all I needed to get a comfortable fit. I am 6'4" and it was fine for me. Here is what I found interesting. On my friends F3 I loved them. As we started looking into it we determined that the bars are the same for both Spyders. The seat position however is extremely different for both. Even with the same stock bars on the feel is so different. I almost feel with the level of adjustments Helibars offer it should have a separate design then the ones for the F3. For example the level of rise felt so much higher on the RTL then the F3. Its almost like the rise should be shaved on the RTL bars IMO.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I spoke w/Seth Laam yesterday. Previously, he said he was about to raise his prices to more closely mirror RDL but I guess he decided not to. Long lead time but about $500 (plus shipping so about $600 total) for a reworked seat. Not sure if this is the way to go. He said he didn't have to raise the seat which would be a plus. That's still a lot of money but I want to be comfortable riding for hours w/o my manly parts falling asleep.