Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2021 belt tension/high speed vibration :(

I hope BuRP considers a new drive belt (2 part?) or a driveshaft on their next generation RT. I had the high speed drive belt related vibration on my previous '18 RTL and have the same on my current '21 RT base. I had the shop decrease the tension today to the lowest it could go that's still within specs and the vibration hasn't gone away. It's better and worse. Better that it's not @ 72-78 mph but worse in that while it's generally at a slightly higher speed (76+) it's buzzier and I now feel it a little bit at lower speeds (although not as bad as at the higher speeds). Obviously, I need a belt tensioner (which I've just ordered from Lamonster). I understand the reason why there's the vibration but you'd think, after years of hearing owners of $20000+ bikes complain, BuRP would have done something different. I'm not an engineer but they have a driveshaft on the Rykers so they know how to do that. Or, they could figure out a way to make a 2 part drive belt (I guess with some sort of pulley connecting the 2?). Anything to eliminate the mile long drive belt that causes the harmonic vibration.

I'm just ranting as I spent 50 bucks today decreasing the belt tension only to have to spend another 50 labor and 100 bucks in parts to "fix" the issue.

Thanks for listening to me.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Just a reminder - these things that people are fitting onto their Spyder drive belts are very definitely NOT actually 'Belt Tensioners', they are simply 'Vibration Dampeners'

As Vibration Dampeners, they work by running a very lightly loaded roller on the back of belt, taking out any minor 'harmonic vibrations in the chord' of the belt and they really DO NOT (& definitely SHOULD NOT) add any tension to the belt AT ALL!! If yours (or anyone else's) adds any measurable tension to the belt, then you should probably expect a whole shed load of hurt to follow; and on a Spyder, especially if it's on an F3 (with their propensity for front sprocket spline failures ) then I'd expect all that hurt to follow PDQ!!

So Monk, you don't really need a 'Belt Tensioner', especially since you've just had your belt tension reduced but you might want a 'Belt Vibration Dampener' - or at least that driveshaft/2 part drive belt that would seem to be such an obvious solution to an ongoing issue experienced by many! But then again, when has BRP ever REALLY LISTENED to their Spyder Customers?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamonsters calls it a "belt tensioner" as do I but, yes. You're correct. It's actually a "harmonic vibration dampener". If someone wants a device to eliminate (or at least greatly decrease) the well known vibrations at speed and search for or ask about a "harmonic vibration dampener", you'll never get one. If you search for or ask about a "belt tensioner", you'll get all the info you want.

In order to do it's job, I'm sure it has to add a wee bit of extra tension to the belt. I'm not an engineer so I have no idea how much. Probably a fraction of a percent of a femtosqueam but something.

As far as BuRP listening to us owners, sure they do. I mean, they added BuRP Connect (no, wait....that sux) and an RT/F3 driveshaft (well, not that, either). At least they redesigned the RT from listening to us. That really is a wonderful thing, bro. Unless you're really short, ride one just once. The riding position is WORLDS better.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I hope BuRP considers a new drive belt (2 part?) or a driveshaft on their next generation RT. I had the high speed drive belt related vibration on my previous '18 RTL and have the same on my current '21 RT base. I had the shop decrease the tension today to the lowest it could go that's still within specs and the vibration hasn't gone away. It's better and worse. Better that it's not @ 72-78 mph but worse in that while it's generally at a slightly higher speed (76+) it's buzzier and I now feel it a little bit at lower speeds (although not as bad as at the higher speeds). Obviously, I need a belt tensioner (which I've just ordered from Lamonster). I understand the reason why there's the vibration but you'd think, after years of hearing owners of $20000+ bikes complain, BuRP would have done something different. I'm not an engineer but they have a driveshaft on the Rykers so they know how to do that. Or, they could figure out a way to make a 2 part drive belt (I guess with some sort of pulley connecting the 2?). Anything to eliminate the mile long drive belt that causes the harmonic vibration.

I'm just ranting as I spent 50 bucks today decreasing the belt tension only to have to spend another 50 labor and 100 bucks in parts to "fix" the issue.

Thanks for listening to me.

HAGO!
    IF the work was done at a Can-am dealership .... I'm pretty sure they didn't lower it to what most here have successfully lowered it to ...... I'm at 160 +/- lbs ( measured with wheel on the ground ) and I don't have any noticeable Vibes from the belt ..... find some other posts about Drive Belt Tension .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT. I had vibration. I added a dampener from a company that is no longer in business and it worked great for 20,000 miles and it was toast. I wasn't going to pay for another one. I dropped tension to 160 on the ground as many have done and it didn't help a bit. I tried 140 just for giggles, Nope. I ended up at 180 on the ground and it is great. No vibes at all up to 90 MPH. It may be good at higher speeds than that, but that was my test limit and I haven't pushed it any faster yet. All this testing was done with the Kriket II gauge with tire on the ground. I guess all Spyders aren't created equal, at least not the belts.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Are you happy with your new Spyder even with this issue? I'm supposed to pick mine up Friday but wondering if I should cancel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IF the work was done at a Can-am dealership .... I'm pretty sure they didn't lower it to what most here have successfully lowered it to ...... I'm at 160 +/- lbs ( measured with wheel on the ground ) and I don't have any noticeable Vibes from the belt ..... find some other posts about Drive Belt Tension .....Mike
    You may very well be correct but the dealership is the only mechanic I have right now to do any work.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I have a 2015 RT. I had vibration. I added a dampener from a company that is no longer in business and it worked great for 20,000 miles and it was toast. I wasn't going to pay for another one. I dropped tension to 160 on the ground as many have done and it didn't help a bit. I tried 140 just for giggles, Nope. I ended up at 180 on the ground and it is great. No vibes at all up to 90 MPH. It may be good at higher speeds than that, but that was my test limit and I haven't pushed it any faster yet. All this testing was done with the Kriket II gauge with tire on the ground. I guess all Spyders aren't created equal, at least not the belts.
    I have one of Lamonsters belt tensioners on order. He says the roller needs to be replaced every 15-20k miles. I'm good with that.

Spyder Garage

I agree with you 100 percent. I just bought my new 2020 RT and can not believe how much vibration there is. I ordered a belt tensioner today also from Lamonster. I hope it cures the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the tensioner/dampener installed today. Tech said it took an hour to install. Not really seeing that but whatever. Rode about 150 miles after that. No vibrations whatsoever. I hope the next generation RT/F3 comes with a shaft drive.

Started out this morning @ about 33*. Bike handled well. I didn't, but that's for another thread.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I had the tensioner/dampener installed today. Tech said it took an hour to install. Not really seeing that but whatever. Rode about 150 miles after that. No vibrations whatsoever. I hope the next generation RT/F3 comes with a shaft drive.

Started out this morning @ about 33*. Bike handled well. I didn't, but that's for another thread.

HAGO!
    +1 on the shaft!
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I may not be far from installing a belt tensioner/dampener as well. I really don’t want to do this but if I decide to spend much time doing Hwy miles on a trip then I will probably do the installation.

Does the Lamonster belt dampener use the same mounting bracket as the BRP Belt dampener. I thought I read/viewed somewhere the only difference was the roller. So if you had a BRP dampener you could replace the BRP roller with the larger Lamonster. Any truth to this.

New tires and possibly adjusting the belt tension will likely occur before any long trips so I will see if either has an Impact on the vibration before I go with the dampener.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    I may not be far from installing a belt tensioner/dampener as well. I really don’t want to do this but if I decide to spend much time doing Hwy miles on a trip then I will probably do the installation.

Does the Lamonster belt dampener use the same mounting bracket as the BRP Belt dampener. I thought I read/viewed somewhere the only difference was the roller. So if you had a BRP dampener you could replace the BRP roller with the larger Lamonster. Any truth to this.

New tires and possibly adjusting the belt tension will likely occur before any long trips so I will see if either has an Impact on the vibration before I go with the dampener.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    Correct. Lamonts belt tensioner/harmonic vibration dampener is basically the BuRP item w/his much superior roller/bearings. He even asks you to verify if you have the stock BuRP (which most don't) unit before purchasing.

You mention "doing hwy miles on a trip". Unless you're putting around town, you're going to be on the highway. If you ONLY hit highway speeds for a few minutes now and then or if you NEVER exceed 55-60mph, I wouldn't waste my money.

With all that said, others have lowered their belt tension and found that it either eliminated or greatly reduced harmonic vibration and they were good with that. If you can, I'd try that first as it's either free (if you do it yourself) or at least cheaper than a new belt tensioner/harmonic vibration dampener. Personally, I didn't find that loosening the belt did any good other than moving the vibrations to a different speed.