Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for someone to install belt tensioner on 2021 RT

I'm looking for someone who has already successfully removed (and reinstalled withOUT "extra" parts) the tupperware on a 2020+ RT who can give me a hand removing the tupperware. I need a belt tensioner installed and don't feel comfortable removing the tupperware. Yes, I've watched the videos and read the threads about doing this (thank you to those that have posted these already....great guys, one and all) but still don't feel comfortable doing it myself. The local shop will charge me about $50 (which doesn't seem too bad) but honestly, I'd rather meet a fellow Spyder ryder and pay the same or less (or none). I really don't want someone who says they've seen the video and "has a pretty good idea" how to do it. I want someone who has actually done the job before (whether to install their own tensioner or GPS or whatever).

I'm willing to ride about 100 miles from N. Wilkesboro, NC depending on weather and time of year. Or come up to my place. I don't have a garage but I have some awesome riding around my area. I'm ordering the belt tensioner tonight so any Saturday starting in about a week would work. If I can't find someone by the time I get the belt tensioner, I'll just have the shop do the job.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

Here's a link that will help you.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Belt-Tensioner

I put this on and have about 4500 miles on it Pulling a trailer. No issues - No vibration

It's really a simple plug-and-play.

Nexus

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the dealer loosen the tension on the drive belt a couple of weeks ago. All that did was to move the speed at which I felt the vibration to a different speed (that I still ride at). Unfortunately, it also ADDED new vibrations at other speeds. (Not sure how that happened.) I ended up having a Lamonster belt tensioner/harmonic vibration reducer to the bike last Saturday. No vibrations on about 200 miles over the weekend at all speeds up to and including the posted speed limit (or somewhere thereabout ). Problem solved. Hoping BuRP changes to shaft drive when they update the RT in a few years. Owners shouldn't have to bear the expense of adding a belt tensioner when BuRP knows that this is an ongoing issue spanning the entire run (2010-present) of RTs. I have my doubts that BuRP will do anything but that's another story.

Spyder Garage

Monk,
    Did dealer install the dampener or did you find someone to help you? My question is on the mounting location, in a video from Smoak, the mounting looked like it mounted to a plastic piece? On the LaMonster installation video, showed mounting to the frame! I have a 2021 RTL and need the dampener! Played with belt tension, just moves the vibration to different speeds! Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Monk,
    Did dealer install the dampener or did you find someone to help you? My question is on the mounting location, in a video from Smoak, the mounting looked like it mounted to a plastic piece? On the LaMonster installation video, showed mounting to the frame! I have a 2021 RTL and need the dampener! Played with belt tension, just moves the vibration to different speeds! Thanks
    I'm not Monk but just order the right one from Lamonster. You can't install it wrong, once you get it everything just falls into place.

On second thought are you sure that yours does not have one? I thought all the 2021's did.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 12-12-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

That may have been the F3's your thinking of
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    That may have been the F3's your thinking of
    Nope, 2021 RTL. Some of the very 1st ones may not have had it though. It's easy enough to check and easy to install once the panel is removed.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Your correct, the early 2021 do not have one, would replace the roller from LaMonster anyway! I will be installing One furnished by dealer, I have switched out the roller for Lamonsters upgraded one. Will give update when job completed. Thanks for your input!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Nope, 2021 RTL. Some of the very 1st ones may not have had it though. It's easy enough to check and easy to install once the panel is removed.
    Yeah, I thought all the ‘21s had it too, K80. I know that my ‘20/‘21 service manual shows it in all the drawings. I imagine if it was put on at the factory, they would all have it, so I wonder if the installation is part of dealer setup, and some aren’t bothering (or aren’t keeping up to date with bulletins).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 2021 RTL, I was told that it had the “white” new front pulley and a belt tensioner! When it arrived at the house, neither was true! Called the dealer and am very happy to report that they made it right, sent out the parts and a check to cover install! Only issue in New Mexico is that the local dealer, for me 100 miles away, are booked through February due to understaffing! So going to check front pulley as I remove panels to install belt tensioner myself!

Spyder Garage

I wish you were closer, I'd be happy to help. I have a lift, and ramps to assist. It's not hard, just methodical taking the bits off. I have a 21 and asked my dealer to check to see if mine had one before ai took delivery. They said no, so I ordered one and took the bike apart to install it - only to find out it had one !!! The one I ordered was nicer, so I took the stock one off an installed the nicer one. While you are doing it, install a "missing belt guard" (see Spyderpops).
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Think the one you replaced the stock one with will last longer! I will check out the belt guard. Thanks

Spyder Garage

FYI - update on my installation of belt tensioner. The one furnished by dealer did not fit right - where the tensioner sets on the frame and bolts to frame, the frame has an indention, so the tensioner would not sit flat! That was an OEM tensioner, so I ordered the new one that LaMonster has which includes a spacer that fits under the tensioner in that indention to make it sit flat! Will update site when I get new tensioner.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-13-2021 at 11:55 PM. Reason: 'That was...' ;-)

Spyder Garage

Update: received my new tensioner from LaMonster, pulled panels and floor boards to get to the frame. Easy install with spacer and bolt’s supplied! Watch the torque on the bolts, seem soft, don’t want to break them off! Take your time on panels, off and on! Just took my time and had it completed in a few hours! The tensioner worked as promised, removed all the vibration from the belt at speeds it vibrated before. Great product!

Spyder Garage

I am sure they are a great product, but don't forget, it's another thing to keep your eye on, you're working with a small bearing that is spinning like hell!!! When it go's, you know what will go with it!! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am sure they are a great product, but don't forget, it's another thing to keep your eye on, you're working with a small bearing that is spinning like hell!!! When it go's, you know what will go with it!! Good luck!
    and have been saying so for a very long time. PERFECTION ( ie.zero vibes ) can get very expensive. I started lowering my BELT tension back in 09 on my 08 GS, then my 11 RSS and now my 14 RT. Good luck if you have a tensioner. .... Mike

Spyder Garage

For craps and laughs, I might try my F3S with the tensioner removed come spring. Yeah, it's installed as standard, but also have a shorter belt with the 89t rear pulley. Several months to ponder

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Update: received my new tensioner from LaMonster, pulled panels and floor boards to get to the frame. Easy install with spacer and bolt’s supplied! Watch the torque on the bolts, seem soft, don’t want to break them off! Take your time on panels, off and on! Just took my time and had it completed in a few hours! The tensioner worked as promised, removed all the vibration from the belt at speeds it vibrated before. Great product!
    Glad it went well for you. We've had very good feedback and we run them on our personal rides.
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/ips-...-2014-present/
    Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 15-01-15 IPS Belt Tensioner Can Am Spyder RT 2014+.jpg
    Last edited by Lamonster; 12-20-2021 at 04:02 PM.