Thread: A Pox on BRP!

Spyder Garage

Default A Pox on BRP!

Well, at least a pox on the engineer who decided on the placement of the horn on the 2012 Spyder RTL. I disassembled my wife's RTL to replace the incandescent fog lamps with LED versions after having managed the replacement on my 2015 RT-S. Actually, removing the frunk on hers was easier than on mine (no cold air duct on the left side) even though hers has the electric frunk opening mechanism in addition to the press-and-turn manual opener.

While the frunk was removed I thought it sensible to replace the stock wimpy horn, as I did on mine some time ago, with a Denali Sound Bomb Mini. It was apparent that the horn wasn't mounted anywhere on the front of the frame so it could only be in the removed frunk assembly. After poking around I finally located it under the left side air ducting. Another opportunity to remove yet more screws and push rivets and fiddle the nut off the old horn, check polarity and connect the new horn, and then fiddle the nut back on and re-install the black ducting assembly. With that done the reassembly process began and, surprisingly, went with just one or two very minor issues. And to top it all off everything works - for a second time no less. I'd better not become cocky.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Well, I think that all the government specs say is how loud a horn must be, you know, some low decibel volume louder than a hand squeezed rubber bulb air horn, with absolutely no requirement about where it must be mounted to the vehicle and the direction in which it must face. The bean counters tell the engineer to put it in the least expensive place.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I actually had a bicycle squeeze bulb horn on my 1971 Bonneville. I bought it used and the horn was shot,
    so I put a 99 cent horn on it to pass inspection, and it did. LOL One of the last bikes I ever owned with a
    headlight OFF switch. I used to turn off the lights on nights with a full moon, and ride the lonesome hiway
    with just the moonlight. Like riding on a long silver ribbon. Ah, to be young and foolish.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had quite a few bikes from the '70s and early '80s that had an off switch for the headlights. I'm guessing about mid '80s was when the gov't dictated that all motorcycles had to have headlights on all the time. (One of the few brilliant ideas the gov't has had.)

Spyder Garage

Yup! Also had a few of those bikes with headlight switches. My first bike, Yamaha 80, one lunger, 2/stroke, 1964. Paid $350 new for it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-25-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red