Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Rally fuel pump fix done but still have questions?

OK friends, for those that have had the fuel pump fix, mine has had the spacer installed and I have noticed that the top nut that holds the pump, you can see it through the triangle holes in the side of the gas tank cover, has 2 hose fittings coming out the top of the pump. The white 90 degree fitting that is visible through the right tank cover side now has no line connected to it. I’m not sure, but it may be an evaporate air line. Did the tech forget to Reinstall this line or is this what the techs do when doing the fuel pump fix? TIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hose Fuel Evaporative Line is the missing part on the top of fuel pump hose fitting to the best of my knowledge.

Spyder Garage

Hi Cueman. You are the only poster I have seen on here who has had CanAm perform the fix for the whining fuel pump. I have two 2019 Rykers that have this malady. Last week I took my wife's bike in to the dealer to have the wheel nut recall done. I asked him about the fuel pump issue also. My understanding is the wheel nut is a official federally-mandated safety recall. It looks like the fuel problem is more of a nuisance documented in a CanAm service bulletin, but not an actual recall. The service writer played dumb about the fuel pump bulletin and said he would contact Can Am about it. When I picked up the bike, he told me he communicated with Can Am and they want a fuel pressure test done first, which he said I would have to pay for. I told him that doesn't sound right to me, because it is a known problem and Can Am has issued a service bulletin to fix it. He said he would ask them again and get back to me. What was you experience with your dealer on this matter? Did they replace the fuel pump or modify it? Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My local dealership was a nightmare for me, I’ll leave it at that. I called the BRP# in owners manual and filed for a case number. BRP was very helpful and provided me a very good dealership with a #

Spyder Garage

I've been following the fuel pump issue since I first heard of it months back. Other than one owner here fixing it himself, you are also the only one that I've heard of thats had the dealer address the issue. Mine is a 2020 Rally purchased new about 7 months ago, doesnt make the noise, but I figured that it probably will eventually.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I forgot to add that my fix was the fuel pump spacer that dealership installed. It solved the problem so far so good. Not sue if there will be a new fuel pump fix or not. Time will tell.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for getting back to me, Cueman. Obviously this is an issue that affects a lot of Rykers in this forum. I'll give my service writer a couple more days, if no call back, I will call Can Am directly. So it sounds like they didn't have you pay for a fuel pressure test, huh?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did not pay for anything and my Ryker was out of factory warranty. After explaining to BRP that I have been trying to get it fixed through my local dealership for such a long time to NO avail, BRP hooked me up to a top rated dealership that took care of the problem for me. IMHO, BRP is your friend. They want you to be happy with your purchase. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    I've been following the fuel pump issue since I first heard of it months back. Other than one owner here fixing it himself, you are also the only one that I've heard of thats had the dealer address the issue. Mine is a 2020 Rally purchased new about 7 months ago, doesnt make the noise, but I figured that it probably will eventually.
    I am the guy that fixed it myself. I took out the fuel pump assembly and replaced the fuel pump mechanism within that assembly. While this seemed to fix the problem initially, eventually the fuel pump whine returned. The reason I attempted to fix this myself was that the fuel pump assembly was on backorder for several months and I did not want to lose the riding season.

When the fuel pump whine returned, I took it into my local Can Am dealer and let them listen to it. It was then fixed under warranty. I believe the fix was the installation of some bushing(s) described elsewhere in this thread. This fixed the problem for now. We will see if the whine returns.

Spyder Garage

So after many phone calls to the local dealer and BRP since the first of the year, I finally have an appt with the local dealer to actually perform the fuel pump whine fix on both of my Rykers on March 5. Hopefully that goes smoothly and solves the problem.

Fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
    So after many phone calls to the local dealer and BRP since the first of the year, I finally have an appt with the local dealer to actually perform the fuel pump whine fix on both of my Rykers on March 5. Hopefully that goes smoothly and solves the problem.

Fingers crossed.
    SO, who's your friendly local dealer? What part of Arizona?

Spyder Garage

Hi Zoot. That would be the omnipresent Ride Now in Peoria. But I actually purchased my Rykers in Nebraska. The original service writer I was working with at Ride Now left his job, so I think my correspondence with them fell thru the cracks and I had to start the process all over again. Hopefully this is resolved in a few days (still crossing my fingers).

Spyder Garage

Just to update this thread, I finally got the new fuel pump anti-whining part installed by the dealer on both of my Rykers. So far so good, but too soon and cool to tell for sure. Hopefully I can stop whining about my fuel pump whining

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jeff - I have an appt in a couple weeks at Nash Powersports in Mesa for both the whine (I have it on video) as well as the wonky fuel gauge issues that arise whenever I fill up when only a gallon low. I am wondering if you might send me a copy of what your dealership says they did. Btw - if you want to do some rides over the summer let me know. My usual rides are 200-300 miles and anticipate going up to the cooler areas (Prescott, Payson, Flagstaff, etc.)
    jvclarke@gmail.com