Thread: Tire wear bars

Spyder Garage

Default Tire wear bars

I have a few questions concerning the original Kenda tires on my 2019 F3L.

I’m seeing the wear bars, I’m assuming wear bars, there isn’t an indicator on the sidewall as I would expect. Sure looks as if there is a lot of tread remaining once the bars are reached.

Q1. Is there a reason why so much tread remains after the wear bars are reached?

Q2. What are the warranty implications, if any, by placing auto tires on the spyder?

Poasttown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post

I’m seeing the wear bars, I’m assuming wear bars, there isn’t an indicator on the sidewall as I would expect. Sure looks as if there is a lot of tread remaining once the bars are reached.

Q1. Is there a reason why so much tread remains after the wear bars are reached?

Q2. What are the warranty implications, if any, by placing auto tires on the spyder?

Poasttown
    Check to see if there are " bars " that don't show you've reached the limit ..... Those will be the REAL wear bars ...... You didn't say which tire/s you where looking at..... If properly aligned ( ie Lazer ) .... the fronts will wear evenly across the tread and last about 3 x's as long as the rear .... ALL Kenda rear tires wear in the middle very quickly because above 40 mph they will BALOON ( from weak tread carcass ) and show wear much sooner .... No one has found a PDI that will make any real difference in wear for the rear tire ..... On Warranty - BRP would have to PROVE an Auto tire caused a problem ...... and ALL auto tires are better made than any Kenda tire ( that fit a Spyder ) .... Mike

Spyder Garage

How many miles on the tires ?
    Front or Rear ?

Just to echo Mike, the rear kenda tires will wear from the center far faster than the sides. You may be seeing a lot of rubber on the sides while the center is worn.
    Also, make sure you're looking at the wear bars and not the tread. If I recall correctly, the original Kenda tires have rubber support blocks in between the treads that can be confused with the wear bars. The support blocks are larger.
    Dump the Kendas at your earliest convenience.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

If you are still running the OE Spec Kendas, then there WILL be a small triangle embossed on the sidewalls in alignment with/to indicate that the bars you are looking at are the tread wear bars.

If you can't find those triangles on the sidewalls in the immediate vicinity of the bars you are looking at, then you ARE NOT looking at Tread Wear Bars; you are most likely looking at the Tread Block Stabilisation bars or if you prefer, the Groove 'breaker' bars - these are a little larger that the tread wear bars, generally start out with ribbing across their tops, and are designed to lessen block squirm & force any build-up of water/slush/ice to 'break out' out of the grooves as the tire rotates. They will wear level with the thread surface a fair bit earlier than the tread wear bars, and you'll be waste maybe as much as 1/3rd of the tire's potential tread life if you swap based upon those rather than the Tread Wear Bars! So look VERY CAREFULLY for those embossed triangles.

Btw, the Tread Wear Bars or indicators on ANY tire are 'meant' to be clearly identifiable as 'Tread Wear Indicators' or prompts to replace the tires - most have indicators on the sidewalls/very edge of the tread adjacent to the bars, while some have labelling cut into the centre rib of the tire, labelling that starts out reading something like 'Tread Wear Indicator' that wears down to end up saying something along the lines of 'Replace Tire Now'! But the point is, there SHOULD be a clear indicator that the bars you are looking at are actually the Tread Wear Bars... if not, then they probably are not!

And yes, I agree with ThreeWheels, who has clearly identified your best course of action - Dump the Kendas at your earliest convenience.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the comments. I will take a closer look tomorrow. I’m thinking what I was looking at may be the rubber support blocks as threewheels mentioned.

Blueknight, I’m not sure exactly which tire I have but It’s the tire that came new from the factory.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Look at pg 121 of your operator's guide and for the triangle Peter mentioned and you will see where the tread wear indicators are on the tire and you won't mistake them for the block stabilization bars.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the comments. I will take a closer look tomorrow. I’m thinking what I was looking at may be the rubber support blocks as threewheels mentioned.

Blueknight, I’m not sure exactly which tire I have but It’s the tire that came new from the factory.

Poasttown
    Un-fortunately ALL spyders come with KENDA tires .... and they are different front vs. rear, regarding wear .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want to do a test ride on "car tires" give me a call, I'll bring my wife's Spyder down.

Vredestien Q5s front and rear and a BajaRon sway bar.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Again, thanks all, very helpful info. Also Steve, I did send you a PM concerning your offer.
    Poasttown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got the PM. Look forward to meeting up sometime.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Poasttown
    Most wear bars on tires, will show when the tire has 2/32" of tread left
    tires start out with 9" to 11/32" depending on Mfg. and tire type.