Spyder Garage

Default What Chocks do you use for Trailering Spyder?

What are most people are doing for chocking front wheels when trailering your Spyder? I am trying to find someone that may be selling their old Superchocks, by Superclamp.net
    They no longer make them.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

I don’t us chocks. I have e-track bolted down to the trailer under the wheels and I run straps over the top of the wheels. No chocks needed.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    What are most people are doing for chocking front wheels when trailering your Spyder? I am trying to find someone that may be selling their old Superchocks, by Superclamp.net
    They no longer make them.
    I'm sure " Superclamps " work .... many years ago I discovered the least expensive and guaranteed method of securing any Spyder, and without the possibility of doing any damage to it .... there are pics from many folks who decided to try .... I used a heavy duty Ratchet strap over the rear tire ( in-line with tread ) the strap must be anchored to the floor at both ends ... I only used one for my RT and that has always worked. .....PS I spent about #15.00 total ..... good luck .... Mike .....PS, this method is how the High end Auto transport company's ( like Mecum ) use to move very expensive veh's..... the Only thing that gets touched is the tire rubber.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Ratchets on rear wheel and through the A arm of each front wheel, secured to tie downs on the trailer. Then I bolted two wood blocks on the floor just in front of the front wheels. Works really well on my Aluma utility trailer. Before I bolted the blocks the Spyder would move forward no matter how tight the ratchets were. Now it is very stable.

Spyder Garage

I am lucky enough to have the "Superclamps" in my enclosed LOOK trailer. Had them for seven years and consider them the best thing I have ever bought for the Spyder. Too bad they are no longer available. Drive on and back off. They were expensive but worth every penny. A year or two ago if you called the factory in Canada you could still purchase but no longer distributed in either country.

I may have some pictures on previous posts. This subject has come up before.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm sure " Superclamps " work .... many years ago I discovered the least expensive and guaranteed method of securing any Spyder, and without the possibility of doing any damage to it .... there are pics from many folks who decided to try .... I used a heavy duty Ratchet strap over the rear tire ( in-line with tread ) the strap must be anchored to the floor at both ends ... I only used one for my RT and that has always worked. .....PS I spent about #15.00 total ..... good luck .... Mike
    I do what Mike does, but I put a strap over each wheel. It consists of 6 anchors and 3 straps for a perfectly secure setup...and MUCH cheaper than any fancy chock system.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If your trailer has a wood deck, you could use these (or something similar). They are $6 a pair. They have holes so that you can screw them down. Then run your straps as recommended in the owners manual.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To make attaching the front straps easier, you can buy the tie down hooks that Lamonster sells that replace the lower shock absorber nut.

I would run a strap through the rear wheel too as noted in the owners manual.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.JPG

Spyder Garage

Some good information on YouTube.

Spyder Garage

The 2020 Rt has the mud flap protruding lower to the ground by a good 6 inches. No way to ratchet down around the rear tire anymore. Thinking about cutting some of the flap off or seeing how much time it takes to remove for trailering 5 or 6 times a year. Dealer said the rear flap was not an easy takeoff, was not sure how much time was needed to remove and reinstall.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble_B View Post
    The 2020 Rt has the mud flap protruding lower to the ground by a good 6 inches. No way to ratchet down around the rear tire anymore. Thinking about cutting some of the flap off or seeing how much time it takes to remove for trailering 5 or 6 times a year. Dealer said the rear flap was not an easy takeoff, was not sure how much time was needed to remove and reinstall.
    see post #3 ..... I only use one on the rear ..... but you could easily use one on each front tire instead- spyder WON'T move...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    see post #3 ..... I only use one on the rear ..... but you could easily use one on each front tire - spyder WON'T move...... Mike
    No where enough room to ratchet it. Will most likely do the fronts. Was hoping to drill less holes in the Aluma.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

No where enough room to ratchet it. Will most likely do the fronts. Was hoping to drill less holes in the Aluma.
    I ran a strap on my 2020 just like is shown here - it is tight on the left side with the sprocket, but doable depending on where you anchor the ends of the straps.

Capture.jpg
    This is from the 2020 Owners Manual.

Spyder Garage

Two vs, four .... not a deal breaker, IMHO .... and your Spyder will NOT get scratched .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Super Clamps is way to go IF you can find a used set.
    TRAILER CHOCKS FOR SPYDER.jpg
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Post How to ask questions

Hi
    I’m new to this forum and can not find where I can post a question?
    Could someone help me with this?
    Thanks
    Gary

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Obviously you figured it out, as you asked and I answered.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I had a local metal shop fabricate two stops for each wheel out of stainless sheet stock. I think they charged me about 100 or so but I also had some metal cut for the floorboards as well. These are bolted down to the deck. The advantage to that is that when I first mounted them on the trailer, I calculated out their distance from the front to get the tongue weight where I wanted it. So all you really have to do is drive forward till you stop. Then its just some heavy straps around the a arms to hold it from the front and I also run one strap through the back wheel so that in any sort of panic stop, the rear of the bike doesnt lift off the deck.

This shows a better angle on the chocks themselves:

The spyder on the trailer:
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gburtoft View Post
    Hi
    I’m new to this forum and can not find where I can post a question?
    Could someone help me with this?
    Thanks
    Gary
    If you want to start your own thread, open the index for the appropriate Forum section (ie, Spyder General Discussion; or RT Shop Talk etc) and just above the list of all the threads on the LH side of the screen, there'll be a fairly large RED button - click on it, then fill in the blanks. It does help (a LOT ) if you try to briefly state your question in the Title field, rather than just using a non-descriptive couple/few words, because your Thread Title is the ONLY way you get to invite people to look in & maybe try to answer - So please, briefly state your question in the Title field or at least tell us what you expect from the thread in that Title field, then expand on that with all the detail in the text area. And if you have any issues, don't hesitate to PM me or any of the other Moderators here - our usernames are in GREEN.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-25-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My garage in the my toyhauler is only 11’ long with a beaver tail in the back . This system is awesome. I made my own just like it but I snap this same system in the back and ratchet the rear wheel down. I can’t use it on fronts for the door into the camper is to tight to the front wall. My spyder has never moved.

https://www.boltiton.com/sport-bike-installation/

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

i bought two chocks years ago at WalMart - bolted them to the floor of my trailer - and off I go.. i've trailered many thousands of mile with these very economical chocks and absolutely no issues.. believe i paid less than $10.00 for the pair..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    i bought two chocks years ago at WalMart - bolted them to the floor of my trailer - and off I go.. i've trailered many thousands of mile with these very economical chocks and absolutely no issues.. believe i paid less than $10.00 for the pair..
    BIG F
    So two chocks and the parking brake are all you use !!!!...... You are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay braver than me ..... good luck ..... Mike

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed a stationary chock from Harbor Freight onto my trailer. Then after loading the Spyder for a fitting, I drilled a hole through the side rails on the first chock to install the second one. Never moved one bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I got my chocks at WalMart I believe for $9.99 a set.. bolted them to the floor of the trailer and strap the Spyder to some added eye bolts and off we go.. have logged many thousands of mile in the upper Midwest and nary a problem..
    BIG F