Spyder Garage

Default 2016 ST S questions

I had posted in the shoptalk section about looking at buying a 2013 st limited. That didn't work out. Now looking at a 2016 st s. Comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Same machine engine wise. Newer year, different color.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Still very much the same as the 2013 ST Salemons - in 2013 they got all the frame & suspension, brake fixes & upgrades etc, but not the ACE 1330 Triple motor that all those were intended to be teamed with (pheww! ) Then while the RT was 'upgraded' to that motor in 2014, the RSS's & ST's stayed with the V-Twins until they were finally dropped completely from the Spyder line-up in favour of the F3's in 2015/16. So the ST's (& RSS's) from 2013 until their final production run are essentially the same machines as the 2013's with some minor colour & electronics 'upgrades' that some (many?? ) might call 'fixing something that wasn't broken' or alternatively 'royally screwing up something that was working just fine cos some ivory tower desk jockey thought it'd be a cool thing to stuff up!!' .

Soo, to summarise, the single BIGGEST issue with an ST (or RSS) from 2015/16, or really any of them that're newer than 2013, is probably that they got the 'new' DESS that has proven to be somewhat problematic and which can leave you stranded miles from home with no way of starting/ryding anywhere!

There are a few threads here on the Forum about this particular issue, including one started by Deanna777 that did a pretty good job of collating her own & others wide ranging experiences & bringing together all the issues & initial BRP attempts at fixes for this, none of which proved to be really able to completely remove the problem... However, if you can find someone with a BUDS MegaTech Licence, you can maybe ask them to turn DESS off completely on your Spyder & so avoid ever being stuck due to that particular issue - but doing that does leave you a with (marginally?? ) less effective Security System for your Spyder! You'll hafta balance that against the risk of being stuck somewhere & requiring a flatbed or trailer rescue plus dealer time, costs, & possibly non-effective attempts/intervention vs the likelihood of some low-life deciding they really want your Spyder enough/see enough value in parting it out to warrant them putting in the time & effort to circumvent all the other in-built 'protections' (intended or incidental ) in order to flog your machine in the first place.... your choice on that, but for what it's worth, I don't think ANY of the MANY Spyders that've had their DESS turned off have been flogged yet - or if they have been stolen, they've not been reported here or on any of the other 'more popular' Spyder Forums... maybe there's more on faceache about that?!

For my 2 bob's worth, I'd be jumping at the chance of buying a Spyder that YOU think will suit your needs & looks like being a good deal instead of coming back here & asking about every one that you find!! If you've done your homework already, read up on at least some of the threads discussing each & every model that are already here; maybe checked out the 'Shop Talk' sections for each model to see if there's been any stand-out issues or problems; then you'll very likely be better off trusting yourself rather than wasting a lot of time repeatedly coming back & asking about each individual machine.... Besides, you'll get a myriad of potentially conflicting opinions here that way, and really, when it all comes down to it, you probably already know everything you need to know (or if you don't yet, just do that reading mentioned earlier, & you will soon! ) in order for YOU to make an informed decision about what Spyder suits YOU & YOUR needs/wants!

Not that we're not happy to answer any questions you might want to ask, but if it means you miss out again on what could've been 'the ideal Spyder' or 'the best deal' you are likely to get on something that'll do pretty much everything you want simply because you're waiting on 'advice' from here when you probably won't get anything much more than validation for a decision you'd already made.... wouldn't that be annoying.... and if that happens - again?!

Go on, Just Buy the Damn Bike!! You KNOW you want to!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter for all that information. It certainly makes Peggy's $7200 2013 STS with 4200 miles look better and better. It
    certainly makes us feel we got a very good year at a very good price. Now if the weather would warm back up, but that may not
    happen for a while. Snow forecast for Monday. Bummer.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Posted this on your other thread.
    Will leave it for others to chime in as I don't think we got the 2016 V twins out here, at least I never saw any for sale when I was looking.
    You will know the heat mitigation stuff is on there from the factory. Also the ST-S has cruise whereas the standard ST (at least in my year model) did not have it. Of course you don't get the trunk? and side bags like the LTD would have unless they have been fitted as an option/afterwards. ST-S also has some LEDs for clearance lights and front indicators. Our Aus lighting setup is somewhat different to US though. Something maybe to keep in mind is I have found at least out here aftermarket add ons are somewhat harder to find than for say a RT. A sweet ride especially at the right price. Almost forgot the ST-S also has rider and passenger floor boards which as it turns out for me and my lower back are fantastic.
    Good luck.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

My .02
    I have a 2016 ST-S that I purchased new in Jan 2018 from a nearby dealer. I had it fitted with some of the "LTD" options...heated grips, fog lights, saddlebags, audio, backrest...and have since added...matching Givi trunk, fenderZ lighting and run/brake/turn lights, cupholders, phone holder.
    If anything, I'd have passed on the audio as I find it kinda useless at speed and prefer my helmet Bluetooth, and I don't really need to be "that guy" at the local Wawa

I'm personally very happy with the higher-revving v-twin, as I'm used to smaller v-twin cruisers, and I find this engine to be quite fun. I add a bit of oil as many threads will mention.
    I have just under 14k miles on the original tires, and debating whether to replace the rear before or after the winter season...I do ride on nicer days, but not that much.

I am a shorter guy, and have debated finding a set of tri-axis bars to bring things closer to me and take some weight off my wrists.

So, there you have it...my .02, worth exactly that. Re-read Peter's post, keep reading the forums (especially the For Sale by Owner...good indications of pricing and never know what you'll find), keep researching (try CycleTrader) till you find THE ONE...and then BUY IT.

Good luck!
    Rap
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic