Thread: Coolant and oil

Spyder Garage

Default Coolant and oil

Hi all I have a 2010 spyder rt I got used and we love it. The guy I got it from had the oil changed by a friend of his. I am getting ready to do the oil change my self I ordered the kit from Amazon. I have heard that most use a different and better oil and I want to try that next. But I want to change the coolant out. What coolant would y'all recommend that is as good or better that I can get local? A oil change here cost 450. And then add the coolant change it would get a lot higher that's why I am doing it myself.
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$450 for an oil change??!! OH. MY. GAWD.

I just did Peggy's 2013 STS, and it set me back less than $40. Granted it's a manual, but still...

I don't know the equivalent of the OEM premix, but premixed anti-freeze is a complete rip off, IMO. You pay as much, or more
    for premix, and you're paying for water. I'm sure someone will be along to recommend a decent anti-freeze. It says it's green
    so it could be pretty common stuff.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by k4zztop View Post
    Hi all I have a 2010 spyder rt I got used and we love it. The guy I got it from had the oil changed by a friend of his. I am getting ready to do the oil change my self I ordered the kit from Amazon. I have heard that most use a different and better oil and I want to try that next. But I want to change the coolant out. What coolant would y'all recommend that is as good or better that I can get local? A oil change here cost 450. And then add the coolant change it would get a lot higher that's why I am doing it myself.
    Thanks
    $300 - $350 is considered "normal." They must have a hefty hourly shop rate.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    $300 - $350 is considered "normal." They must have a hefty hourly shop rate.
    Is that for an oil change? Or other service too?
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I almost fell out when he told me that i told him i was going to do it myself he said good luck. Before i brought the spyder the guy had a new battery install after i had it a couple weeks got ready to ride would not crank. I checked and decided to check the battery i removed enought panels to see the battery good and one of the terminals was loose so i have already experience the panels. I will save the 450

Spyder Garage

Use any brand of oil meeting the API service codes specified in pg 153 of your operator's guide. If you don't have an OG you can download one at this link, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Just drill down to the 2010 RT model. Page 154 tells what type of coolant you should use.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that info real good!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think they changed to the orange coolant in later years, so you might check to make sure you still have the green stuff.
    Mixing the orange and green is supposed to be a bad thing.

Personally I'd buy some good green stuff, minus the silicates of course, dilute it to what you want with distilled water and
    do that yourself too. I think there's only one drain plug, but I believe there have been issues with the drain plug on the
    radiators on some models.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

It's been said on this forum do not drain antifreeze through the drain plug. Disconnect the lower hose to drain. Drain plugs tend to break,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$17.00 for a filter $10.00 for a quart of oil. (That's retail.) Do the math, $450 is out and out extortion.

Spyder Garage

Manual or SE transmission? SE will have extra filter, don’t wanna skip. Radiator please confirm what color antifreeze is currently being used, mixing colors gums things up throughout the system. Many of drain plugs especially older ones snap rather than turn. The bottom hose is a safer choice possibly easier when spider is elevated. There are few how to videos on YouTube available. Enjoy getting to know you spyder more intimately.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YumaGary View Post
    It's been said on this forum do not drain antifreeze through the drain plug. Disconnect the lower hose to drain. Drain plugs tend to break,
    ^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
    As far as coolant, I shy away from the AMAM type (all makes all models), and DexCool. It's my experience that coolant with 2-EHA can slime, eat plasticisers in gaskets, and turn bad under some conditions.
    Beck and Arnley Extended Life Pink, Peak Antifreeze and Coolant, and Rotella ELC NF are my go to for nearly anything with a radiator. Zerex G05 is good too, but the silicates can and will eventually drop out if left in service too long.
    https://www.peakhd.com/wp-content/up...1-1.pdf?x38462
    https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...lla-elc-nf.PDF

Spyder Garage

Yes they told me it was mostly labor but also they would check different things out ( so they can make more money) I made my mind up I was doing it myself

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Oil change/filter service. It is supposed to include a check over of other stuff. If additional "work" is needed...you will end up paying for parts & labor additional. The old "valve check" service on the 998's would cost around $1000. That is why most people never did them. But...that's another story.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red