Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Used Spyder RT 2015 or 2016; Any thoughts or recommendations?

Hi All:

Wife and I have settled that we like the Spyder RT. Particularly the riding posture/ergonomics relative to the F3.

We were about to buy a new condition 2016 RT Special Series. Beautiful. Loved the test ride. On "sale." ...Until the dealer tacked on the fees, taxes, etc. which pushed us above our price limit.

Looking at used RT's now. Found a dealer who can get us an "out the door" price (taxes, fees, and all) below our max limit.

Test ride tomorrow. Looking at a 2015 (~23k miles) or a 2016 (~56k miles). Rationally speaking, leaning towards the 2015 with ~23k miles. Any words of wisdom regarding 2015 RT's vs. 2016's?

I searched the forums here, so far didn't find any "red flags" one way or the other. Figured I'd ask if anybody has any advice.

Thanks!
    2017 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (LS650) , Metallic Fox Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2015 and 2016 are the same other than maybe colors so I'd choose the 2015 with lower miles assuming the 2016 doesn't have a ton of accessories you feel you have to have.

Spyder Garage

I agree, no real difference between 15 and 16. The 15 sounds like a better deal.

Good luck!

Rich and Rhonda
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Spyder Garage

I agree that the lower mileage 2015 is the one I would select, given what you're said. I gather they're both offered by the same dealer, so I'd ask about maintenance records for each. It's possible that the higher mileage alternative was better taken care of than the lower mileage one. My 2015 RT-S had a whopping 436 miles on it when I bought it making it pretty much a no brainer. On the other hand my wife's 2012 RTL had around 32,000 miles on it but the original (and only owner) owner treated it like it was a favorite child making it was something of a bargain. We've been pleased with both. Whichever you select, enjoy and ride safely.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Test drive both and see which one you like the best. All things equal, I would go with the lower mileage one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 15 or 16

Both had issues with the DESS module ..... find out if it has been re-placed ..... the 16 had less issues than 15 ..... but the DESS module itself can be had for about $135.00 ..... You will need to remove the FRUNK ( I think 8 bolts ) not difficult. and access the module .... it's just above the battery to the left when facing the battery ..... ( I have pics in my albums ) ... un-plug the two connections and change the units .... After I had mine replaced I then moved the module ( there is enough oem wire to do this ) to under the right headlite using the oem mounting holes and short 1/4 in. bolts .... I did this move just incase I ever had to do it again ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    The 2015 and 2016 are the same other than maybe colors so I'd choose the 2015 with lower miles assuming the 2016 doesn't have a ton of accessories you feel you have to have.
    Thanks! We actually don't need a ton of options. The new condition 2016 we looked at previously had more stuff than we really needed. But it was our favorite in terms of comfort/ergonomics and the test ride was great. It looked like a great deal at first but unfortunately didn't pan out. We'll verify what options the used models have, but those won't be deal breakers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmag View Post
    I agree, no real difference between 15 and 16. The 15 sounds like a better deal.

Good luck!

Rich and Rhonda
    Thanks! '15 looks better at least on paper, but we'll check out both,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    I agree that the lower mileage 2015 is the one I would select, given what you're said. I gather they're both offered by the same dealer, so I'd ask about maintenance records for each. It's possible that the higher mileage alternative was better taken care of than the lower mileage one. My 2015 RT-S had a whopping 436 miles on it when I bought it making it pretty much a no brainer. On the other hand my wife's 2012 RTL had around 32,000 miles on it but the original (and only owner) owner treated it like it was a favorite child making it was something of a bargain. We've been pleased with both. Whichever you select, enjoy and ride safely.
    Maintenance records: Yep. For sure I've asked about those. Didn't hear back from them today, but that's OK. We'll see them tomorrow. It is the same dealer for both. That's a good point though, I want to see how well they've been maintained and that could be a pivotal factor. (I keep my maintenance records for my Suzuki 2-wheel.) Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Test drive both and see which one you like the best. All things equal, I would go with the lower mileage one.
    For sure. I've asked if they can have both available for test rides if we need to decide between them. So far leaning towards the lower mileage model, but we'll ride both.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Both had issues with the DESS module ..... find out if it has been re-placed ..... the 16 had less issues than 15 ..... but the DESS module itself can be had for about $135.00 ..... You will need to remove the FRUNK ( I think 8 bolts ) not difficult. and access the module .... it's just above the battery to the left when facing the battery ..... ( I have pics in my albums ) ... un-plug the two connections and change the units .... After I had mine replaced I then moved the module ( there is enough oem wire to do this ) to under the right headlite using the oem mounting holes and short 1/4 in. bolts .... I did this move just incase I ever had to do it again ...... good luck ..... Mike
    Awesome! Thank you! This is good to know. I'll definitely check into this. (I'm Mike too, BTW.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irritatedmongo View Post
    Maintenance records: Yep. For sure I've asked about those. Didn't hear back from them today, but that's OK. We'll see them tomorrow. It is the same dealer for both. That's a good point though, I want to see how well they've been maintained and that could be a pivotal factor. (I keep my maintenance records for my Suzuki 2-wheel.) Thanks!
    In the unlikely event that the dealer cannot come up with the maintenance records for one or both, then I would suggest running away from that particular machine. All dealer has to do to get the records is input the VIN # into the records and they can provide you with a print out. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2015 brand new in January of 2017. It is a black base model RT and it just didn't sell. The dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse and now it has 35,000 trouble free miles on it. I had the chance to get the DESS disabled a year or so ago and I had that done BEFORE I had any issues. It is our two up touring machine and has served us well. I plan on adding a lot to that 35,000.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

What are they asking for the bikes?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler is right in the bulls-eye regarding maintenance records if they have been done by a dealership. If not inquire if there are any owner kept records. Regarding the '15, which I would opt for, do recognize that it is about 3K miles from its 28K service that is a major one; see the maintenance schedule which begins on pg 89 of the operator's guide. If there is no OG with the vehicle, insist the dealership provide you a hard copy and in the interim you can download one at this site, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Just drill down to the 2015 F3 series. The only downside you should recognize is that a five year old bike might be due for a battery sometime in the not too far distant future.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Both were about $16k. We bought the 2016 even though it had more miles. They had service history for this one and it seemed in better shape overall. They actually dropped base price down to ~$15k.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    ARtraveler is right in the bulls-eye regarding maintenance records if they have been done by a dealership. If not inquire if there are any owner kept records. Regarding the '15, which I would opt for, do recognize that it is about 3K miles from its 28K service that is a major one; see the maintenance schedule which begins on pg 89 of the operator's guide. If there is no OG with the vehicle, insist the dealership provide you a hard copy and in the interim you can download one at this site, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Just drill down to the 2015 F3 series. The only downside you should recognize is that a five year old bike might be due for a battery sometime in the not too far distant future.
    Thank you! We bought the 2016 actually. Follow on post...

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your helpful thoughts! We bought the 2016 actually. The 2016 had more miles (~50k+), but my wife generally liked that one better than the 2015. The dealer had service history for the 2016 (well maintained) but not for the 2015. Test rode both. Nothing obviously wrong with the 2015, but the 2016 seems well cared for and we were more comfortable with the known service history. Dealer (Lifestyles Honda; Mt. Vernon, WA) worked with us. Lowered base price a little below their sale price and we got a 3 year dealer warranty. Happy so far. Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts! (That's my grinning mug in the garage after the ride home. It's my wife's Spyder actually. I'll post pics of her when we go riding.)

122654680_10215245898575286_7309127571991296433_n.jpg
    122739359_10215245898855293_6556377840355387204_n.jpg

Spyder Garage

...And it came with all the manuals.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Here's the one we bought (they actually lowered the base price a little from ~$16k+):
    https://www.lifestyleshonda.com/stre...AM_SE6/B16897A

Here's the 2015:
    https://www.lifestyleshonda.com/stre..._SPYDER/U17146

Spyder Garage

Congratulations. They are nice machines. The 3 year warranty is a real bonus.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! You made a good decision and the Spyder is just getting into it's best years, IMO. I'm just shy of 69K on mine and am looking forward to many more thousands of miles of fun.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on your purchase. But when shopping, I also take a look at the private market. My friend just sold her 2014 RTS with the BRP trailer for $12,000. She had a load of add ons, and it was in mint shape. I would have purchased it for myself if I could have hidden it from the wife for a while. But 3 bikes in the garage would be pushing the limit a bit much.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! You made a good decision and the Spyder is just getting into it's best years, IMO. I'm just shy of 69K on mine and am looking forward to many more thousands of miles of fun.
    Thank you! So far, so good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Congrats on your purchase. But when shopping, I also take a look at the private market. My friend just sold her 2014 RTS with the BRP trailer for $12,000. She had a load of add ons, and it was in mint shape. I would have purchased it for myself if I could have hidden it from the wife for a while. But 3 bikes in the garage would be pushing the limit a bit much.
    �� Thank you! Yes, I did look for some private sellers too. I saw somebody selling another 2016 (I think) with the trailer included. Would like to have checked that out, but they were too far out of state. But I did look at those too.