Spyder Garage

Default Today was a sad day

Today was a sad day for me. I decided with the winter weather fast approaching, actually already here, it was time to tuck my beloved Ryker away for the winter. I took the long way to our storage shed to prolong the enjoyment of the ride, even if it was below freezing. I didn't really feel all that cold while riding. Though a lot of people were looking at me like I was crazy.

I brought my Ryker in June of this year with 680 miles on it. When I tucked it away, the odometer was showing 6,123 miles. As you can see, I brought my Ryker to ride, and ride it I did. Almost every single day, sometimes several times a day.

I'm hoping for some mild days during this winter so I can take it out for a ride every now and then, as long as there is no snow on the ground. Stupid snow......
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

You have done some riding. It it just now getting to the point where it is enjoyable to ride here in Arizona. The past summer was oppressively hot.

I have enjoyed all of the rides you posted on YouTube.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear your riding season has ended. We all understand the crushing feeling of putting the bike up for the year end.
    Here in Northern Nevada the night time temps are dropping to freezing.
    Time to breakout the heated gear. I hope to keep riding until the salt slurry is spread on the roads.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear. Many of us know the feeling well. Hope you are able to get some riding days in on the off season.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have done the same... changed the oil in the snowblower to get my other "fun" machine ready for the next season. The spyder is under wraps until the robins return in the spring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gr8Frank View Post
    You have done some riding. It it just now getting to the point where it is enjoyable to ride here in Arizona. The past summer was oppressively hot.

I have enjoyed all of the rides you posted on YouTube.
    Thanks gr.... The more I sit here the more I'm convincing myself I can squeeze at least another month, maybe more, worth of ride time out of my Ryker. Long Johns, fleece lined jeans, flannel shirt, my riding jacket and Gor-Tex gloves should at least keep me from getting frost bite....

In fact I'm going to explore that option first thing tomorrow. I just really love riding my Ryker.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Thanks gr.... The more I sit here the more I'm convincing myself I can squeeze at least another month, maybe more, worth of ride time out of my Ryker. Long Johns, fleece lined jeans, flannel shirt, my riding jacket and Gor-Tex gloves should at least keep me from getting frost bite....

In fact I'm going to explore that option first thing tomorrow. I just really love riding my Ryker.
    Get some heated gear and u will have no problems riding in the cold.

Spyder Garage

I use a heated vest, insulated pants & boots, and ride in the 20s as long as there is no snow or ice. On coast rain is the biggest problem, slow down for standing water over an inch or so in depth to avoid hydroplaning.

Spyder Garage

Gets cold here on some days, but most days, even in the middle of winter get up to 50 or 60 degrees by about 10:00. No snow here and they don't salt the roads. I ride all year. It is really better to ride in winter than in the summer when it is 100 degrees. Only time I won't ride is if it rains and then freezes. Don't like riding on ice. Jay slid down and broke some bones couple of years ago on a patch of ice on a curve. Ain't taking a chance on that.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m also in the all year ride. Here on the west coast of BC we get snow a couple of times during the winter, but it only lasts a few days. The biggest challenge is the rain. I can usually ride at least once every week. Mines parked in an unheated garage and ready to go in a moments notice. My RT has heated grips, which I use, and I have a heated vest.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Dressing for the ride is the secret. Riding to cold is no fun any time. I did 10 below zero in January, in MN ONE TIME. Then, sanity came back.

Layers are the secret. Any of the all weather gear is good as long as they have the zip in "winter" liner. Good boots and gauntlet gloves are good to keep the breezes from going up your legs or arms. A balaclava or stocking cap under the helmet is also a nice touch. The last few years, 20 to 30 above has kind of been my comfort zone as long as there was no ice or snow on the roads.

I now like 35 to 45 degrees as the lower limit. I guess getting older has something to do with it too.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bought mine in Jan this year, and just layered up and rode. Where I would not take out a motorcycle because of road cinders, or possible icey spot, with the Ryker I had no issue. Cold heck yes, thighs and toes get cold, and fatigue sets in faster just like extream heat.

But when I can it's a nice break from cabin fever.

Just wish I could ride as much as you, keep doing it!

Spyder Garage

also here in Austria the Saison ends in the next days - 16.000 miles on mine ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

You are going to have to sneak out for some ride days so can see more ride videos- always enjoy seeing different parts of the country.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CsOldGrayDog View Post
    Just wish I could ride as much as you, keep doing it!
    Being retired plays a big role in that......
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

I now how you feel, my spyder is in for it's looooooooooong winter's nap,here in the northeast.

I am kinda in between seasons spyder/sled season. I dont have much down time between the two.

The temps here have been in the 60's but the temp's are dropping gradually. Tonight the temps in the 40's,and next week they are forecasting rain, sleet, snow. We usually get our first snow fall in Nov. In Dec. we get our sleds out. I can hear my sled getting restless in the trailer!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I am still hanging in there, rode twice to work this week hoping I get it out a couple times more before it's blanket time!!!! The sleds are calling, it will not be long now!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Temperature here this morning was 0*C or 32*F and north wind. Probably won’t be out on my RT-S today, but we shall see. Insurance runs out in the first week or two in November, but I do plan on renewing it before it runs out. Just to make sure that I’m ready on sunny days.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper