Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Suggestions to winterize my Ryker

Thoughts from anyone on proper methods for winterizing my Ryker.... Special precautions, tips, tricks etc. I only have an unheated, no power storage shed available for my use not a nice heated garage.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Thoughts from anyone on proper methods for winterizing my Ryker.... Special precautions, tips, tricks etc. I only have an unheated, no power storage shed available for my use not a nice heated garage.
    I can only tell you what I DID last early November to prep for Winter, so I'm open for suggestions also. #1, I changed oil (at 3100 miles), #2, Added "Sta-Bol" to full fuel tank. #3, Stored the battery in the basement (up off of floor) with battery tender in use. Battery strap almost impossible to unhook. This year I will remove front apron? to get to it. #4, Bought 4 scissor jacks while on sale and got tires up off of my unheated wood floored shed. No permanent electricity in shed. I run a cord out to it once in a while, I also bought a "FlashFish" (Amazon) for the battery tender (22 hrs before charging) during the riding season. BTW I'm in Northern Illinois, 70 miles west of Chicago. (Have not been in there for est. 40 years.)
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Flas...s%2C190&sr=8-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride year round but at least you've got a shed. I don't have so much as a lean to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I ride year round but at least you've got a shed. I don't have so much as a lean to.
    I wish I was as lucky as you.... But I did buy a Can Am 1/2 cover that I used while it was parked outside the apartment. Worked pretty well.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I can only tell you what I DID last early November to prep for Winter, so I'm open for suggestions also. #1, I changed oil (at 3100 miles), #2, Added "Sta-Bol" to full fuel tank. #3, Stored the battery in the basement (up off of floor) with battery tender in use. Battery strap almost impossible to unhook. This year I will remove front apron? to get to it. #4, Bought 4 scissor jacks while on sale and got tires up off of my unheated wood floored shed. No permanent electricity in shed. I run a cord out to it once in a while, I also bought a "FlashFish" (Amazon) for the battery tender (22 hrs before charging) during the riding season. BTW I'm in Northern Illinois, 70 miles west of Chicago. (Have not been in there for est. 40 years.)
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Flas...s%2C190&sr=8-5
    Good suggestions, thanks. I don't think the jacks idea is going to work for me because unless the temp is sub zero or there's snow on the ground, I'm gonna pull my Ryker out for a little ride.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

...I'm gonna pull my Ryker out for a little ride.
    Be certain to ride far enough EVERY time you take it out to get the engine oil fully up to operating temperature. If you don't do this you run the risk of getting condensation in the oil.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish I was as lucky as you.... But I did buy a Can Am 1/2 cover that I used while it was parked outside the apartment. Worked pretty well.
    I cover mine whenever I'm not riding. One of the reasons I moved down here to NC from NORTHERN Indiana was to get away from "winter". A couple winters ago, we got 2' of snow all at once. Worst snow in 20 years from what I've heard. To me (coming from where I did), it's was more like.............a Tuesday. Last season we got a grand total of 1.5". I was NOT upset. I rode every week this past year (at least since February when I got my RT). I don't ride in snow (although I know a few who do) and I damn sure don't ride when there's ice. (I don't even drive my car on ice unless it's an emergency.) When I lived up north, I didn't ride much in winter until the rain washed the salt off the roads. That crap can do nasty stuff to anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Be certain to ride far enough EVERY time you take it out to get the engine oil fully up to operating temperature. If you don't do this you run the risk of getting condensation in the oil.
    Hahaha, not a problem for me. My definition of a little ride is 50 miles minimum.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have heard that the best way to "winterize" is to move south.

Since that's not going to happen for me, I just add some Sta-Bil to the fuel. For my carburated rides (and other machines), I will double-up on the dose, then run the engine long enough to get the treated gas through all the different circuits in the carb(s). Have not had a fuel-injected "toy", but will probably use some Sta-Bil in it, too.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Hahaha, not a problem for me. My definition of a little ride is 50 miles minimum.
    That's a good definition.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm lucky, mine sits in the Garage all of the time. It is always cleaned and covered after every ride. It sits on a battery tender all of the time. As the weather changes and temps drop here, the fuel tank is always full with added stabilizer. , i pick my moments to ride. Up until recently i was only home every 10 days or so, unfortunately do to health issues i have been moved into early retirement .... may be next year i will be able to slap down a whole bunch of miles.

Spyder Garage

Last winter I added sta-bil to my gas tank and then drove it for a while. Parked in garage and hooked up a battery tender. That's it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Last winter I added sta-bil to my gas tank and then drove it for a while. Parked in garage and hooked up a battery tender. That's it.
    I'm gonna do that. I don't know if I can sta-bol around here but I'm gonna find a good gas treatment to drop in and take her for "a spin" to get the treated gas through the system. Thanks.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Do you need to disconnect the battery terminals when using a tender for the winter?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark99 View Post
    Do you need to disconnect the battery terminals when using a tender for the winter?
    I don't.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I don't either, my battery tender harness is always connected to my battery. so park it and plug in it! that simple....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if I can sta-bol around here but I'm gonna find a good gas treatment to drop in ...
    I would be surprised if you couldn't find it. Around here it's available at every auto parts store, Wal-Mart, even at the grocery store.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

you should try Star Tron it is a far superior product for gas with ethanol to sta-bil, Also storing a battery on concrete is not as big of an issue as letting dust gather between the negative and positive polls.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I would be surprised if you couldn't find it. Around here it's available at every auto parts store, Wal-Mart, even at the grocery store.

Yup, I found it at Walmart, $8+change
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With out doubt, the very best way to winterize is to spend the Winter in Arizona.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We are almost to the winterizing time of the year again !

Spyder Garage

Old man now, but when I lived in Japan,40 years ago, I rode my Honda more than I drove a car. Even rode to
    work every morning in the snow . Now I'll ride three wheels,,,,,Much safer
    I'll ride less, I'll use a trickle charger but I'll still ride in the winter.

Spyder Garage

Last year I took the battery out and added fuel stabilizer. This year I bought a battery tender and will leave the battery in. It's a royal pain to remove the strap and worse putting it back on.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I didn`t use a battery tender in the last two winters - also after 100 days she still startet perfect, but after the start I immediately make a 60 miles trip to reload it full ..
    and if you need a good route for this - ask me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpzlbmtkLbQ&t=3s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Winter The Spyder

Well, some good information.

I have a battery tender on the battery during the months of November through April.
    I am located in good ole Indiana. .......

The last couple of years I've been able to get a Ryde in two or three days a month. I still use a fuel stabilizer for added gas protection.

My Tip. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue